Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You could just say that you're "spiritual" and leave it at that. You should never feel like you have to explain your beliefs to anyone.
    Be yourself, everyone else is taken. -Oscar Wilde

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You could just say that you're "spiritual" and leave it at that. You should never feel like you have to explain your beliefs to anyone.

This is a great answer!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    WorriedWorried
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Im spiritual /agnostic

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    StressedStressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am a liberal Catholic with intimate interests that aren't mainstream. I would not recommend talking about this at any Church function, unless you like getting kicked out. Apparently I like getting kicked out. . .

Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Since my parents disowned me, I've found myself turning to religion more as a way of coping. I'm not *overly* religious, but yeah, I guess I do believe in God. I have to have faith in something, if not humanity (I have no faith in the human race) right?
    And recently, I do feel like, more often than not, my prayers have been answered.
    But I'm definitely not one to preach or to push my religion on anybody. Especially since I'm gay and I'm "going to hell" according to my parents.
    I identify as Catholic.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

nothing's Avatar Habitual Failure
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    No one ever asks me because I don't talk to many people, but if they did I'd tell them the truth; I have no idea. I've heard so many contradictory tales and not a single one of them resonates with me. I don't feel God's presence and I think there must be SOMETHING, but whatever it is, it's not helping us in any way, shape, or form. God feels a bit like a deadbeat dad to me, if he really exists as our 'father' as the Christianity I've been indoctrinated into my whole life and don't believe is true.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i've not been asked in a while however since i went to a catholic high school i had a lot of knowledge and time to contemplate my standing on the matter. i personally do not believe in god. i like some of his teachings and rules and think they are a good way to live your life treating one and other with respect, listening to your elders etc just ways of being a decent human being. i am comforted by the idea of heaven and hell that good people are rewarded for being decent kind people and doing good with their lives and that bad people who have done nothing to help anyone and are just nasty horrible spiteful people suffer for the misdeeds that they've done with their lives. but this may just be something i'm using as a comforting thought but in short i don't believe in god. because i had these justifications for it which were solidified and backed up by my firm belief in scientific explanations and my own personal belief i never had much questioning or berating on the matter thankfully

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It may not be an offensive gesture someone could simply be trying to learn more about you. My answer to religion says I have a strong set of morals. I'm unsure about the afterlife but I'm comforted by being told oh this is what happens at least I think that's what it says about me. To others it could be a way of guiding their lives whereas other may just be continuing what their family installed in them. It is an intrusive question probably on a similar lines to are you conservative or democrats (think those are powers in your state)

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ExhaustedExhausted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't been asked this question in a long time but I do remember the last occasion vividly. It went like this:

Me: *Rushing through the stockroom at my old workplace to get something for a waiting customer.*
    Random colleague: *stood around chatting instead of working* "[name] Are you religious?" *as I rush past*
    Me: "No. I'm a scientist. A Darwinian, I guess." *dont stop walking*
    Colleague: "Oh..." *disappointed* "That's a shame."

That's a shame?!? I didn't really have time to react when it happened since I was busy, had been caught of guard and would have been too anxious to say what I really thought. I was offended by her response and the memory really sticks with me for some reason.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Monowheat View Post
    I haven't been asked this question in a long time but I do remember the last occasion vividly. It went like this:

Me: *Rushing through the stockroom at my old workplace to get something for a waiting customer.*
    Random colleague: *stood around chatting instead of working* "[name] Are you religious?" *as I rush past*
    Me: "No. I'm a scientist. A Darwinian, I guess." *dont stop walking*
    Colleague: "Oh..." *disappointed* "That's a shame."

That's a shame?!? I didn't really have time to react when it happened since I was busy, had been caught of guard and would have been too anxious to say what I really thought. I was offended by her response and the memory really sticks with me for some reason.
    It sounds like you came across a phenomena that has perplexed me also over the years. I have seen myself as someone who believes in a higher power (God) and I feel I have a strong connection and spiritual relationship with him. It's a personal connection that doesn't involve anyone else but me. The only time I even tell people anything about my belief is when they ask me directly. Or I will just state that I feel I was blessed.

Over the years, I have come across people just like you describe. They have not only gained a spiritual relationship with their God, but many have joined a church fellowship to discuss their belief in God. I understand why they begin to feel both powerful with the backing of God, as well as find the need to spread this information to others. They feel safe in God's hands and they want to spread this comfort to others. I get that part because I have had many blessings from God over the years.

But somewhere in that, I think some of these people forget how they felt when they didn't belong to a church or have any belief in a higher power. They put more weight in the word religious which means, "relating to or believing in a religion" than in the real question they are asking which is spiritual, "Do you have a relationship with God?"

Belonging to a church or religion does not necessarily mean you believe or don't believe in God. Take my ex-husband for instance. He was baptized recently into a religion. Just two days ago he was trying to get my daughter to hate me and was upset that I was happy in my life. That's not a man who has a relationship with God because if he did, he would not do that. But he belongs to that church.

We don't know if people believe in God even if they belong to a church. I'm sure half the people there on Sunday are thinking evil thoughts about their neighbor during the sermon.

Ok. I know I'm getting confusing here.

Let me rephrase all this.

I believe in God.
    I tend to not believe in religion because religion has people involved in it.
    I like religion sometimes when I want to talk to people about my beliefs. I occasionally join a church.

So.............

When a person asks "Are you religious," maybe you could ask them, "Are you asking if I go to church or are you asking if I believe in a higher power?" If they say "go to church," do like I do. I answer, "Nope. Churches would be great if people weren't there." If they say "I'm asking if you believe in God," then tell them, "Sorry, that's a personal question that I don't feel comfortable answering." Besides, legally they can't ask that at work. Look it up.......it's in your hiring packet.

Oh and one other thing. When that person said, "That's a shame." You could have said, "Wow! I think God would cry to see you shaming one of his children." That will shut her right up. *evil grin*
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.