Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

elderly and social anxiety

My Uncle is in the hospital and we recently discovered that his living situation is very bad. His roof is in danger of collapse. He had one job that I think he either quit or was fired from a long time ago. He took care of my Grandmother and and elderly uncle. He did odd jobs. He sold home made whirly gigs like birds with wings etc. He had amassed a large collection of golf balls, from the mine yard near country club, as a kid we my siblings would help him collect them.

He was selling them. This house is full of golf balls, literally thousands, most are organized into egg cartoons. His furnace backed up there is soot and ash over everything. He must have a hundred pairs of old boots and shoes. He has tons of whirly gigs. The state of his roof is bad very bad there's a giant hole in it. There are some things in the house he could have sold to fix the roof. He could have called my Mom or her brothers.

Over the years my Mom who is his sister kind of stopped going to see him. She would say the phone has two ends. We would try to encourage her. I would take her when I would buy plants for spring. The last two years he would meet us on the porch and we would chat outside. The last year I was there I got the impression that he didn't want us there or rather inside but I kind of blew it off as to maybe he is doing something that was messy or you know what it's like when you aren't ready for visitors.

I understand he can't live like that. Everyone has there own ideas. His crazy neighbor lady thinks the house can be fixed, but what about what led to it looking like that. Anyway, I kind of think he needs some mental health help? I understand that physically the heart operations, but my Mom has always been in "extreme denial" I think of how bad his situation was. It very sobering to me because I kind of think anxiety is part of my life that I have to fight against. That could be me. Anyway I feel bad because i could have gone to visit without her.

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    He's a hoarder. Yeah ideally he needs help, like from a social worker, because he's not going to just stop hoarding.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.