Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Just watched a documentary on people who rob things using Mopeds. First 15 minutes was phone robbery. Had to see this to believe. People holding their phones flat in their hands. Snatch. The phone is gone. Saw loads of people have their phones robbed. As the robbers were on Mopeds, it was easy for them to snatch the phones and be gone in seconds. More about people not looking around them. Too busy looking at their phones. They don't see the Mopeds coming. Not paying any attention to life around them. Amazing watch it was. Just to see how easy it is to do. How people put themselves in danger. New Iphones. One chap had about 20 of them. He sells them on. They are taken to Africa and sold for twice the price over there. Put the phone on flight mode and it can't be tracked. It was all too easy.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Racism. We can all accept that it is wrong. I can never understand why any ethnic group uses the term others use in a racist way, directed towards them, to talk about themselves. In other words it is wrong for others to use the terms. But they can use the terms because they are part of that ethnic group. If you want to put certain words out of use would it not make more sense for everybody to stop using the terms? Including those who belong to the various ethnic groups. Fact is you hear the words more from the ethnic groups. Other people know it would be as racism and don't use the words. So the people who claim the terms / words are racist are the ones keeping the words alive.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Cuchculan View Post
    Racism. We can all accept that it is wrong. I can never understand why any ethnic group uses the term others use in a racist way, directed towards them, to talk about themselves. In other words it is wrong for others to use the terms. But they can use the terms because they are part of that ethnic group. If you want to put certain words out of use would it not make more sense for everybody to stop using the terms? Including those who belong to the various ethnic groups. Fact is you hear the words more from the ethnic groups. Other people know it would be as racism and don't use the words. So the people who claim the terms / words are racist are the ones keeping the words alive.
    Idk I feel like racism is used to stifle serious discussion .... can?t we all agree that races are biologically different .... but trying to talk about how the differences might affect people is called racist.

If some races are genetically more likely to be good at some things.... like Kenyans and running for example.... isn?t it likely that some are more likely to have bad traits too?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quote CloudMaker View Post
    Idk I feel like racism is used to stifle serious discussion .... can?t we all agree that races are biologically different .... but trying to talk about how the differences might affect people is called racist.

If some races are genetically more likely to be good at some things.... like Kenyans and running for example.... isn?t it likely that some are more likely to have bad traits too?
    I think I am on about certain words. Mainly the N word. We know it is racist to use it. Be is rappers or just people in the hood in the US use the N word because they are black. No problems with them using it in any way they want to use it. Thus the word is been kept alive. Younger people are growing up hearing the N word. If they stopped using it I could see it disappearing.

I agree that different races are better at certain things. Those long distance runners are amazing. But they are no good at swimming. Amazing really how it works. Be so good at one thing and so bad at another thing.

As for bad traits? I think every race has bad traits. Not just one race. Your surroundings has a lot to do with it. Family life too. I would not say any one race is worse than any other race.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    From Google:
    racism
    /ˈrāˌsizəm /

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Merriam-Webster:
    Racism: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

So.....for what it's worth, imo, stating that "...If some races are genetically more likely to be good at some things.... like Kenyans and running for example...."

^ that's a racist statement imo. You could make hundreds of similar statements (Asian people excel at math, for example, is one I've heard before over and over again). Statements like that are extremely racist imo. The same applies to statements like "they are no good at swimming". What you're doing is placing certain charactristics and traits, be they positive or negative, to a group of people based soley on their race. If that's not clear to anyone, just go back and read the two definitions above lol. The definition of racism is pretty straightforward, no matter what source it's from. (well, almost lol).
    You're going to lose people in your life, and realize that no matter how much time you spent with them or how often you told them you loved them, it will never seem like it was enough.

Hug the ones you love.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    So there are no words that some people use that you would class as racism? The N word is obvious. For us Irish ' Paddy ' has come up often. Not that it bothers us. Few people in other countries have gotten into trouble for using the word when talking about the Irish. Here we have the word ' knacker ' which is used when talking about gypsies. It is considered racist here. I did say I was on about words. Words people use to aim at the various races out there. Chinks would be another word. For Chinese people. Nips for Japanese people. Is loads of them. I think they are what people shout about more. If you were been classed as a racist it would be more because of a single word you might have used. Not a statement that defines the good or the bad qualities of the race of people. Walk into the Hood and say ' you can't swim ' and nobody would give a crap. Wouldn't have a clue what you were going on about. Walk in and use the N word and see if you make it back out.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I don't recall ever saying that there are no words I'd classify as racist lol. If I did, please feel free to show me where. I was pointing out that it bothers me that some people don't consider what they say as being racist, when they attribute certain characteristics (good or bad, negative or positive) to a group of people based purely on their race, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sex.

To me, those are very, very racist statements, and I'm hardly the only one to think so. I posted a couple of definitions of the word "racist" and those definitions back me up, 100%. Whether someone is saying that Kenyan's excel at running (but can't swim), or any other claim based purely on a race of people, that is, in my opinion, racist. It's just as racist as using the "N" word imo. People that group people together, define who they are based on their race, nationality, etc without "resorting" to racist name calling do not get free reign to do so without having their statements labeled as racist. It's simply, by definition, still racist. See the two definitions I posted

It would be different if I was the only one to hold my point of view on the subject. I googled "define;racism" and the first two definitions that popped up (see my previous post) explain that racism isn't limited to racist name calling. There are a whole list of ways to practice prejudice or racism.....a list much, much too long for me to even get into here. I'd find it hard to believe anyone wouldn't agree in this day and age lol.
    You're going to lose people in your life, and realize that no matter how much time you spent with them or how often you told them you loved them, it will never seem like it was enough.

Hug the ones you love.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote InvisibleGuy View Post
    From Google:
    racism
    /ˈrāˌsizəm /

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Merriam-Webster:
    Racism: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

So.....for what it's worth, imo, stating that "...If some races are genetically more likely to be good at some things.... like Kenyans and running for example...."

^ that's a racist statement imo. You could make hundreds of similar statements (Asian people excel at math, for example, is one I've heard before over and over again). Statements like that are extremely racist imo. The same applies to statements like "they are no good at swimming". What you're doing is placing certain charactristics and traits, be they positive or negative, to a group of people based soley on their race. If that's not clear to anyone, just go back and read the two definitions above lol. The definition of racism is pretty straightforward, no matter what source it's from. (well, almost lol).
    OK by the definitions you cited the following statement is ?racist?:

?Africans are better at living in hot environments than Europeans.?

Even though it is factual because of melanin in the skin... Europeans are more likely to burn. This is my point... there are certain things which may be true that aren?t discussed for fear of being called ?racist?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Cloudmaker lol, your Africans are better at living in hot environments than Europeans statement isn't even factual. Melanin in skin doesn't have to do with hot environments, melanin is a skin pigment that blocks some carcinogenic Sun radiation. Hot environments aren't necessarily ones with a lot of sunlight and vice versa. I could spend some more time explaining to you how that statement is racist, maybe another time.

So yeah that statement you wrote is pretty racist, it's not entirely factual.

Your point that certain things that might be true that aren't discussed because of fear of being called racism is another matter. You haven't provided any support for your assertion that I have seen so far.

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote CloudMaker View Post
    OK by the definitions you cited the following statement is ?racist?:

?Africans are better at living in hot environments than Europeans.?

Even though it is factual because of melanin in the skin... Europeans are more likely to burn. This is my point... there are certain things which may be true that aren?t discussed for fear of being called ?racist?
    *** deep sigh ***

Well, I have to admit this was good for a laugh. Sorry but I just can't even take that response seriously. I mean, are you in fact joking or being facetious? I could treat this as a learning experience on my part. So. Thanks, I guess, Cloudmaker? I mean, I'm sure there is a segment of the population that really does think that way, that shares that POV. Wow though. Just. Wow.

Hmmmm.....lessee if I can expound on this brilliant train of thought somehow.

Oh, yeah, I know. I live near the beach. Less than an hour away. So I must be genetically predisposed to being...an excellent swimmer. Of course. Daaaayuuumm!!!!!!!!!!! I never noticed it before now, but I actually have webbed feet. My toes are webbed and I....wait a minute...yep, just like I thought....I have fins! And gills!

That sure does explain a lot. Whew. I'm glad that's settled.

Hug the ones you love.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote kevinjoseph View Post
    Cloudmaker lol, your Africans are better at living in hot environments than Europeans statement isn't even factual. Melanin in skin doesn't have to do with hot environments, melanin is a skin pigment that blocks some carcinogenic Sun radiation. Hot environments aren't necessarily ones with a lot of sunlight and vice versa. I could spend some more time explaining to you how that statement is racist, maybe another time.

So yeah that statement you wrote is pretty racist, it's not entirely factual.

Your point that certain things that might be true that aren't discussed because of fear of being called racism is another matter. You haven't provided any support for your assertion that I have seen so far.
    OK excuse me for thinking hot environments are ones with a lot of sun LOL. My point is... on average, Dutch men are taller than any other nationality.... this is from genetics. If there is a sport , like basketball, where being tall is an advantage.... then Dutch men may generally be better than other races. Is that racist?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Your false assumption is excused, Cloudmaker. Many areas of the Earth that have a lot of sunlight are cold. The poles receive a lot of sunlight, but they are generally cold.

So your point changed to stating that Dutch males are taller than any other nationality, because of genetics, therefore Dutch males might generally be better than other races.

Yes, that is still racist. Dutch is not a race, but a nationality. Stating "Dutch men are taller than any other nationality...this is from genetics." Is racist.

I'm not sure where I'm losing you on the idea that stating something is true BECAUSE OF RACE is racism. I could even argue that there is no such thing as a race. But anyway, race is not nationality is not genetics is not personal characteristics and so on.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Your false assumption is excused, Cloudmaker. Many areas of the Earth that have a lot of sunlight are cold. The poles receive a lot of sunlight, but they are generally cold.

So your point changed to stating that Dutch males are taller than any other nationality, because of genetics, therefore Dutch males might generally be better than other races.

Yes, that is still racist. Dutch is not a race, but a nationality. Stating "Dutch men are taller than any other nationality...this is from genetics." Is racist.

I'm not sure where I'm losing you on the idea that stating something is true BECAUSE OF RACE is racism. I could even argue that there is no such thing as a race. But anyway, race is not nationality is not genetics is not personal characteristics and so on.
    Why are some people from Africa dark skinned and some people from Europe light skinned? Because of genetics... just like a German Shepherd is larger and has certain traits that make it more aggressive and better at being an attack dog than a chihuahua, even though they are both dogs .... genetic differences between species are real.... but talking about them for humans is “racist”

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Again, still racist. Dog breeds are not different species. They can interbreed. Differences between what you call races are real, but humans from different continents are not different species of human, either.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Again, still racist. Dog breeds are not different species. They can interbreed. Differences between what you call races are real, but humans from different continents are not different species of human, either.
    Yes and German shepherds and chihuahuas are the same species yet drastically different genetically... humans are the same.

If I say Asians are less likely to be able to hold their booze.... is that racist too? Because it is a statistical fact, and calling me “racist” does not invalidate it. Source.

Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.