Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

How bad is the U.K.?

A59CCBAE-992F-4A1E-9A31-7E42A4B32AED.png

I just read that the U.K. has entered its worst recession in history.

How bad are things there now?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    @Otherside can only answer this one. It could have been a double blow with Brexit. But they will be helped out by the EU over the pandemic. For now they are still a member state. That won't solve all their problems. I am wondering what happens if Brexit date comes around and the pandemic is still here? Has kind of thrown a spanner in the works. They are entitled to an EU rescue package as things stand now. Like all other EU member states. No idea when that money is been handed out. What if it is after the Brexit date? When they won't be an EU member state any more. Though I do believe they paid into this rescue fund already. So should be entitled to a payment from it.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Yep, it's bad here.

Lot of companies are going bust, quite a few people losing there jobs, pretty much nobody is hiring at the moment. Quite a few shops (well known stores) are shutting down.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    Yep, it's bad here.

Lot of companies are going bust, quite a few people losing there jobs, pretty much nobody is hiring at the moment. Quite a few shops (well known stores) are shutting down.
    so sorry to hear that

what is everyone going to do? are there going to be lots of homeless people on the streets now like America?

the big cities here have large homeless camps everywhere and they just seem to be getting bigger

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Theres an eviction ban at the moment, but yeah, will likely be an increase in homelessness when that ends.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Jebus I don’t know if it would have been better to not really shutdown the economy like the US or not

Seems like a choice between making everyone lose their jobs and going homeless / starving or letting everyone get sick

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    We've managed to do both in a way - we have one of the highest death rates and we have the worst hit economy.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    We've managed to do both in a way - we have one of the highest death rates and we have the worst hit economy.
    from what I’ve been reading online it does seem like the U.K. is moving towards being America Lite LOL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Yeah, UK has a humongous level of inequality. London is one of the richest places in the world, and has huge amount of investment in it. The South of England has benefitted from London being nearby.

The rest of England has pretty much been ignored, and had zero investment. The industries that were in those places- coal mines, steel mills, manufacturing - were shut down over the years. Those jobs went and nothing came to replace them. Pretty much just been ignored by UKGov.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Just saw this image posted on another site. Supposedly from the UK today now that the EU has stopped sending food over

12A36FBE-0C0F-4D51-9883-CA0213941CA8.jpeg

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    The way it is now working is that truck drivers will be tested for Covid. Is not that the EU didn't send food over. France are blocking trucks from entering France. You would drive through France and then get the ferry to the UK. But a lot of food would be made in the UK as well. Certain things would come from other countries. There is always the options of using a plane. Land in a country, pick whatever is needed up, take off again and back to the UK. That was not how it was planned. Is nearly always trucks. the French are well known for using trucks to block things during protests. Now they are blocking UK trucks. Think it has been sorted. Testing all truck drivers. If you are simply passing through France and not stopping I see no problem at all. This is all about the second strain of the virus. Which is now in a few countries. Ireland included.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    So a few days back, we had this press conference on TV, gov announced that there was a mutant strain of covid that was very, very infectious. France panicked and shut its borders completely. No trucks allowed it, wasn't even allowing French citizens in. Most countries have a travel ban on at the moment, but most will allow lorries in.

Most of of UKs food (particularly fresh food, especially at this time of year) comes from out of the UK, so will come through France to the UK, you take a ferry or a train over. You can go France-UK, but nobody is going to head over if they cant go back. Because of the border closure, there was huge queues of lorries unable to cross. Deal was done yesterday that meant France would reopen the borders so long as you took a test before crossing, and food started to be imported into the UK yesterday by air. Lorry drivers clashed with police last night, which...well they've been stuck abroad for a few days now and sleping in a lorry, so were a bit pissed off that they couldnt go home.

A lot of the shortages arent coming because of shortages (we have large stockpiles of tinned food at the moment)- but because people saw the news and are doing exactly what they did earlier this year. Hoarding pasta and toliet paper.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    amazing to think that a country like France even thought it could stop a second strain enter France. The UK were the first to report it. That does not mean it was only in the UK. We were all a bit dubious about a second strain. But that would be like every country thinking the stop the first strain. Impossible really. We still have the ban on people coming from the UK. But the second strain is in this country already. I agree with the ban for other reasons. Should be no country hopping allowed at all. Other than certain types of work. Trucks can come and go from Ireland. That is UK trucks. Once they have things to deliver to Ireland. Bit like our government banning people from going one county to another. Why bother at this stage? Every country is just as bad as the other. Pointless ban. Once you stay within your own country. If leaving your country I agree with the testing. If ill you are not coming into our country. Nothing wrong with that at all.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.