Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    At any given moment, a small number of Americans are searching for a surgeon willing to cut off their perfectly healthy limbs.

These men and women suffer from apotemnophilia, one of the most bizarre disorders in the annals of psychology, and they want to undergo amputations in order to "feel whole."

"You have this foreign body and you want to get rid of it," said one man who found a doctor in Scotland willing to remove his right leg.

But should such surgery even be allowed?

"It just flies in the face of everything that medicine holds dear," said Stacy Running, a San Diego assistant district attorney who successfully brought murder charges against an unlicensed surgeon who botched a leg amputation on an 80-year-old man with the disease three years ago and let the man die of gangrene.

Added Arthur Caplan, director of the University of Pennsylvania's Center for Bioethics, "It seems indisputably ga-ga nuts to sit and reasonably talk back and forth about whether this should be done and where we are going to do it."

Though some recent high-profile cases have captured the media's attention, apotemnophilia is not a new disorder.

Medical experts have reported cases of amputation obsession since the 1860s, said Richard Bruno, a New Jersey psychophysiologist who specializes in brain-body disorders and is one of the few people in the world who have extensively studied apotemnophilia.

No one knows how many people are obsessed with amputation. However, there are Web sites devoted to the subject. One is named after the Venus de Milo statue.

Bruno has identified three groups within the larger community of people obsessed with amputation:

"Pretenders" use wheelchairs, crutches and other devices to make people think they are disabled.

"Devotees" are sexually attracted to people with amputations and disabled people, and will often search for them on the Internet.

"Wannabes," who get the most attention, live for the removal of their healthy limbs.

Usually, people with the disorder are men and they want one leg or both cut off, Bruno said. However, there are also female sufferers. They include Corinne, a California woman who refused to give her real name. She wants her legs removed.

"For me, sexuality is being comfortable with my body," she said. "Inside, I feel my legs don't belong to me and shouldn't be there. There's just an overwhelming sense of despair sometimes.

The cause of apotemnophilia isn't clear. John Money, a psychologist and sexuality expert at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, gave the disorder its name in 1977 and declared that people with the disorder have a sexual fetish centered on amputated limbs.

Apotemnophilia has also been linked to obsessive-compulsive disorder and homosexuality.

Some people with apotemnophilia say their obsession has nothing to do with sex; they say it's a body-image disorder that can be cured only through amputation.

Taking a different tack, Bruno suggests that people with the disorder desperately seek attention and love from others.

"What these people really want is to be accepted," he said. "They feel they are unlovable and want to be loved."

Speculation dismissed

But many people obsessed with amputation heatedly dismiss Bruno's theory.

Gregg Furth, a New York City child psychologist who suffers from apotemnophilia, said the disorder revolves around feeling like a complete person.

"It's about becoming whole, not becoming disabled," he said, adding that people with the obsession "feel there's an alien aspect of their body."

Furth told a San Diego courtroom in 1999 that he first began obsessing about amputation when he was 4 or 5 years old. He's now in his mid-50s

His search for a cure -- amputation -- ultimately led him to John Ronald Brown, an underground doctor in San Diego. The 77-year-old Brown lacked a license to practice medicine.

Furth and an 80-year-old friend, Philip Bondy, who also had apotemnophilia, traveled from New York to San Diego in 1998, both hoping to have Brown perform their amputations in Tijuana, Mexico. But Furth backed out.

Bondy went ahead and had his left leg removed. Brown left him to recover in a Holiday Inn across the border in a San Diego suburb, where he died a few days later of gangrene.

A jury convicted Brown of second-degree murder

Furth resurfaced in the news last year when he found a doctor in Scotland who was willing to amputate his right leg. The doctor had previously amputated the limbs of two other people with apotemnophilia.

But the Scottish news media picked up on the plan, and the hospital where the operation was to take place quickly banned it.

Caplan, one of the top medical ethicists in the United States, said apotemnophilia is clearly a medical disorder, and can't be cured by giving in to the disease.

"It's like saying I'm a schizophrenic and I hear voices, so I want the doctors to communicate with my demons to exorcise them," he said.

Bruno said people with apotemnophilia often live hellish lives.

"I feel terrible for them," Bruno said. "There are just far more questions than answers about the disorder, and unfortunately, many of these questions may be unanswerable. We may never know why these guys want what they want."
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Gross gross gross. ,
    Gross

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    In the neuropsychologist Oliver Sacks he covers this disorder. One of his patients kept thinking his leg was that of a cadaver the hospital staff had placed in his bed and throwing it out of his bed, falling out of bed in the process.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Interestingly Sacks himself suffered from a neurological disorder, I believe it was one where he couldn't recognize faces. He would have to wait til they spoke to know who it was.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    What's with this ' straight pride ' parade in Boston? No doubt those who are behind it are anti gay activists. Do you have to come out as been straight to take part in the march? Just a lot of silly nonsense.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Cuchculan View Post
    What's with this ' straight pride ' parade in Boston? No doubt those who are behind it are anti gay activists. Do you have to come out as been straight to take part in the march? Just a lot of silly nonsense.
    I guess it's like the people who complain about Black History Month and demand a White History Month. Or the All Lives Matter in response to Black Lives Matter. I saw something that stated the movements supporting minorities are like a minority individual at a restaurant saying he or she is very hungry and the other movements are like others in the restaurant shouting yeah well we're all hungry.

Also I think this thread should be renamed "The Cuch and Kevin Thread."

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Also I think this thread should be renamed "The Cuch and Kevin Thread."

Amen to that brother.

I remember when people were posting all that ' Black lives matter ' stuff. I kid you not that I know a person who got banned from FB for posting ' White lives matter '. He was only joking posting it. Having a bit of a laugh. Not meaning anything by it. Wasn't a long ban. But it also came with a warning about future conduct. I found it so funny that FB would not allow such a thing to be posted. I know others who posted things like ' Asian lives matter '. Again just taken the p!ss. They didn't get banned or get a warning. No idea what it is about white lives.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Ok Cuch and Kevin, you can introduce me as your special guest.
    My input:
    I don’t think we’re allowed to say Asian anymore. Seriously, are we? And who determines what is correct and incorrect? Offensive or not offensive? The offensive police?
    Hi Kevinjoseph, glad to see this thread up and running, so to speak, as I enjoy reading it. Cuchculan, get yourself an Ireland football jersey fo God’s sake.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Welcome to the show Jamie.

There are much worse things on fb. I have read the 'moderators,' and there are thousands of them who are very poorly paid and have to meet a quota based on the speed at which they moderate and not the quality, receive basically no training and many succumb to ptsd and addiction because of the videos of murders and things they have to watch and read. FB outsources all that to another company that basically isn't accountable to anyone and this just gives FB the ability to claim it is concerned about and dealing with this issue. Not all that different than the FCC censoring tv and radio on a highly inconsistent basis. Trump's twitter was being called for deletion by a few awhile back as they claimed it violated rules against hate speech or something.

I just think that if you limit people's access to opposing views or new ideas or whatever, it hampers open discussion, the ability of individuals to address things they disagree with in a mature way, and would even so a tolerant, democratic society needs dissent. Look at China/North Korea, or the world of Big Brother in 1984. All opposing viewpoints are violently suppressed if the autocrats fear them. I would add, tangentially, that even the US is becoming a bit like this but voluntarily. People watch news networks they feel they agree with and read papers that do the same.

Censorship is a tough issue. Balancing freedom of speech and information with not allowing filth and hate propaganda to spread. It's definitely an ethical issue, which is an interesting area but very tricky. I know in the US our Puritan heritage is a lot more hung up on things than many other places. There's a Mark Twain short story called the incident in harrisburg or something where a small town is very puritanical and even has 'lead us not into temptation' as its motto. a con man comes along and uses their greed to steal a bunch of money from them with a fake investment scheme. it ends with the town changing its motto to 'lead us into temptation.' Twains point was that if our will power and virtues etc are never tested they atrophy. I feel the same applies in censorship.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    I have a mixed opinion on what should and should not be allowed. There are certain groups who spread false stuff around. In Ireland they are trying to stop these people. By law. I agree with that. Mainly got to do with vaccines. They are claiming to be stating facts. What they are saying is not factual at all. But they are putting people off from getting their kids Vaccinated. Which is a danger. Last year and early this year we saw two diseases make a return. Not heard of them in decades. The vaccines were stopping people catching them. Suddenly we have all these cases of them. Their claim is that the vaccines leads to autism. Which is not true at all. There is another vaccine to help stop girls get cervical cancer. I think only about 56% of people got the vaccine. That was because of this group and the claims they were making about the vaccine. More lies they were telling people. I do hope they begin to legally stop them. Post rubbish claims and you can be done by law. They seriously have nothing to back their claims up. If they did I wouldn't want them stopped. It would be a fair debate based on actual facts. As it is they are putting lives at risk. Also causing old forms of illness to return. Measles and Mumps and things like that. We had zero cases for so long. Then last year this mad spike suddenly. Because of these clowns who refused to have their
    kids vaccinated.

Freedom of speech can be a good thing if it is factual. Plus it does depend on the different laws in the different countries. If a country has a race law you might get into trouble for making a post that is deemed racist. It depends what exactly you write. If it is going to be a hate filled post I think it has be censured. If you have a fair debate I have nothing wrong with that at all. But can you debate some issues without hate? Without breaking any laws of certain countries. Fair to say that laws can differ from country to country. What might be OK in the US might be a crime in Ireland. We are just talking about words. There was vote here last year on a blasphemy law that was ancient. I said it was just a bluff. People of Ireland voted to get rid of it. Now the bluff part? Bring in a much stronger law that covers everything. Not just religion. Race and sex and all of that sort of stuff. My thinking at the time was there was no way they were going to leave the door open for anybody to be able to have a go at others over their religion. One very old law went and a more modern law was introduced. Parts of it I do agree with. They are the more obvious parts. Me calling you a name because of your skin colour. That is just common sense. As Ireland was a white country up until about 2 decades ago, we never needed any race laws. Then came all the different religions. Which I think you should be allowed express your opinion on. Lord knows they express their opinion on our religion. I don't think the police would ever arrest them over what they say. For fear of been called ' racist '. Mainly talking Muslim / Islamic here. They get away with so much. Just because they are not Catholic. Touch them and you have big protests. Police need to man up and explain to them that the laws of this country are for them too.

Could go on for ever with this post. But now we will have the weather with @JamieWAgain
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I agree with you 100 percent Cuchculan. The same thing with vaccinator s is happening here as well. And we have the added problem of illegal immigrants pouring in thru our borders and most of these people have never been vaccinated. We have a dangerous rise in measles now, for example. As for the other side, it hasn’t been proven that vaccinations don’t contribute to autism in random children. I do think there is a link. But the heavier
    Burden is a rise in diseases that we had previously wiped out,, measles being one of them.

2years ago my primary doctor gave me a flu vaccination. We have so many strains of the flu, and there is no gte that the flu vaccine will eradicate the flu. 1 week after receiving it I woke up with Bell’s palsy. The very first question the neurologist asked me was “did you have the flu vaccine recently?”
    An obvious question and I should have been told that possible side effects is Bell’s Palsy.

It didn’t stop me from getting the shingles vaccine this year, though. Won’t get flu shot ever again.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

We’ve been having stormy weather this week in my neck of the woods. Mid 90’s (F) and off and on rain. The heat came very early this year. Wouldn’t trade my weather in for anywhere else though. Paradise.

It hasn’t stopped me from swimming my laps in the early morning before work. It’s my own time and my own space and my favorite part of my day. Rising early, diving in and go. I just go.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Vaccines. Not vaccinator. That sounds like a hat a British royal would put on her head. Lol. Auto correct.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Maybe it is just me. But I have heard nothing that convinces me there is a link with the vaccine and autism. Now granted we know children can get autism. Here is were their little theory comes into play. My little Johnny had the vaccine and now he has autism. I am sure little Johnny would have gotten autism even if he didn't get vaccinated. But they want something to blame it on. So many kids get some form of autism as a rule. Just like so many would be born disabled as a rule. It is called life. I am not buying into anybody claiming it is the vaccine giving them all autism.

Got the flu jab last year. Had the flu within a day. Doesn't really work for six days. There is that chance you will pick up before the jab kicks in. That was my first time getting it. We shall see later in the year. Never heard of anybody else getting anything bad after getting the jab. That is a new one on me.

Time for food. No sun here. Don't think we will be getting a Summer this year.

Vaccinator. - I'll be back. ( Arnie Film )
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    My unpopular opinion is that the Moon is not actually part of Mars

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    And how do you know that? Where you ever there?
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.