View Poll Results: [Poll] Do You Mispronounce Lots of Words?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 62.50%
  • No

3 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

[Poll] Do You Mispronounce Lots of Words?

I'm willing to bet that lots of socially anxious folks -- even those with large vocabularies -- mispronounce lots of words. And that's largely because we seldom interact with anyone in person.

I'm like this and I had an extremely intelligent girlfriend some years ago who was like this. I've a larger-than-average vocabulary, yet every once in a while I'll embarrass myself by mispronouncing quite common words.

Edit: damn, I meant to add a poll to this. Looks like now I can't add one . . .

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    WorriedWorried
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This happens when you read a lot but don't have much of any intellectual conversations where you would hear those words.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Yes, I've never been very good at telling how words are pronounced though just by looking at them.

(Odd ,don't seem to be able to add polls after you've posted. Sorry)
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Some months ago I got anxious after using the word 'via', thinking I may have mispronounced that super common word. Turns out there are two correct ways of saying it:

1. v-ē-ə

&

2. v-ī-ə

I felt dumb over Googling that . . .

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    WorriedWorried
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Caveat is a weird one.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote lethargic nomad View Post
    Caveat is a weird one.
    'Tis. Funny thing though is that I don't think I've actually ever spoken out that word.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    I am good with words. I read a lot and have done crosswords most of my life. Like to write as well. Think it can all help with words. If you are around them and use them a lot. Play games were you have to look for words as the answer.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    WorriedWorried
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Learning foreign languages has made this worse for me. Often when I encounter a word I have never heard before I automatically approach the vowels as how they are in Japanese or Spanish. English spelling is such a mess.

https://www.rocketlanguages.com/span...spanish-vowels

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Learning foreign languages has made this worse for me. Often when I encounter a word I have never heard before I automatically approach the vowels as how they are in Japanese or Spanish. English spelling is such a mess.

I'm the same with German.

"Au" is one I commonly mispronounce. English pronounces it "Ore", German pronounces it "Ow".
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Oh yeah. I have a pretty bad stutter that can really trip me up when it comes to pronouncing things >_<

Lunaire's Avatar Consumer of Coffee
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    AmusedAmused
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    I try not to pay too much attention to the way that words are pronounced, and it doesn't really bother me if someone pronounces a word 'incorrectly'.

My motto has always been that if the listener understood the message that the speaker was trying to convey then there was nothing 'incorrect' about the way the speaker said it. \_(ツ)_/

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yeah I've done this a fair bit. I don't normally say words out loud if I'm not sure how to say them, but I'll often notice I don't know how to pronounce something when I'm reading... And then go Google it. I also occasionally notice other people mispronouncing stuff. Subpoenaed is a common one to mangle.

Yeah I'm the same with Spanish. I remember when Wikipedia started to become a mainstream thing, I kept calling it the Spanish way, pronouncing the e in pedia, like the e in red. I did this during a presentation too (we were allowed to reference it). They must have thought I was pretty odd. I pronounce encyclopedia the normal way, but I had just come back from Latin America and was obviously still in Spanish mode.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Yes...I'm dyslexic. The way I see and hear words is often very different. New words often become pictures for me. I link how a word looks to how someone says it....so when I read (which I do a fair bit of) and I come across a new word unless I hear it spoken, I don't have a sound for it....I don't know if that makes sense?
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I should've mentioned in my original post that I've found the Google Chrome extension English Dictionary Translate Pronunciation to be of enormous help for this problem.

I do much reading online. Whenever I come across a word I'm not 100% sure how to pronounce, I simply double-click on it and a voice speaks it out for me (and, as a bonus, I also get the definition of the word!). Super helpful.

I'm convinced that many of my fellow Anxiety Spacers could find this useful.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote HypnoticTrance View Post
    I should've mentioned in my original post that I've found the Google Chrome extension English Dictionary Translate Pronunciation to be of enormous help for this problem.

I do much reading online. Whenever I come across a word I'm not 100% sure how to pronounce, I simply double-click on it and a voice speaks it out for me (and, as a bonus, I also get the definition of the word!). Super helpful.

I'm convinced that many of my fellow Anxiety Spacers could find this useful.
    I use a kindle, were it doesn't say the word but I can always get the meaning...that is super helpful!
    life---> <---me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.