Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

X-ray eyes in the sky: New method for 3-D through-wall imaging that utilizes drones

From phys.org ( https://phys.org/news/2017-06-x-ray-...-method-d.html ) :

<excerpt>

Researchers at UC Santa Barbara professor Yasamin Mostofi's lab have given the first demonstration of three-dimensional imaging of objects through walls using ordinary wireless signal. The technique, which involves two drones working in tandem, could have a variety of applications, such as emergency search-and-rescue, archaeological discovery and structural monitoring.

"Our proposed approach has enabled unmanned aerial vehicles to image details through walls in 3D with only WiFi signals," said Mostofi, a professor of electrical and computer engineering at UCSB. "This approach utilizes only WiFi RSSI measurements, does not require any prior measurements in the area of interest and does not need objects to move to be imaged."

?

In their experiment, two autonomous octocopters take off and fly outside an enclosed, four-sided brick house whose interior is unknown to the drones. While in flight, one copter continuously transmits a WiFi signal, the received power of which is measured by the other copter for the purpose of 3D imaging. After traversing a few proposed routes, the copters utilize the imaging methodology developed by the researchers to reveal the area behind the walls and generate 3D high-resolution images of the objects inside. The 3D image closely matches the actual area.

"High-resolution 3D imaging through walls, such as brick walls or concrete walls, is very challenging, and the main motivation for the proposed approach," said Chitra R. Karanam, the lead Ph.D. student on this project.

?

</excerpt>
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Skippy's Avatar Pickin' and Grinnin'!
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    this is a little unnerving. you dont give the human race the ability to abuse anything that can seriously be abused, or the powerful, greedy people will 110% use it for their own terrible ends. thats just a given. this guy inventing this stuff is probably excited of how much said people will pay for such a thing.

human + power over anyone = bad. history has taught this time and time again. its going to be abused; we know this..

"High-resolution 3D imaging through walls, such as brick walls or concrete walls, is very challenging, and the main motivation for the proposed approach"

just for challenge...uhhhhhh yeah...... no. can see right thru that, bucko!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I want to be that fly on the wall who can see (and hear).

But then again, I probably don't truly want to know what's behind walls.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.