Thread: Rally / Protest

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Rally / Protest

Well I just got back from a rally protesting a confederate statue at Sam Houston Park here in Houston. I was sitting here last night, and this morning, thinking about how strongly I feel about this issue, about people using symbols, statues that glorify and memorialize those that supported human slavery are getting away with it, how some of them see nothing wrong with it whatsoever. And I thought well why don't you DO something about it. So, I did.

I went to the rally this afternoon, by myself. And it really, really felt awesome to be there. The protest was led by BLM, but there were other groups there too. Fwiw, there were as many white people there as there were black, there were people of all backgrounds, races, all walks of life. What we had in common is we're tired of the racism, we're tired of people of any color or ethnicity or religion being targeted, being harassed, being made to feel inferior, we're tired of the basic human rights of human beings being violated, over and over again.

It felt like I was actually a part of something. No. The statue didn't come down today. But we made sure our voices were heard. And they were. I've never, ever in my life seen so many cops, on horseback, on foot, on segways. There were cops mingling with the crowd. I tried to get a picture of the whole crowd in one shot but couldn't. I'd say there were four or five hundred people there. A lot of people spoke and the overall theme was basic human rights. And that statues of slave owners have no business being up in 2017, anywhere.

There was a quick confrontation from the other side, someone with a megaphone calling us all degenerates and losers, and they were quickly drowned out by the crowd with "Black lives matter". It was awesome. Just awesome.

20170819_153341.jpg
    20170819_153512.jpg
    The cops way off in the distance in the pic below are guarding the statue. Ffs.
    20170819_153821.jpg
    20170819_155138.jpg
    You're going to lose people in your life, and realize that no matter how much time you spent with them or how often you told them you loved them, it will never seem like it was enough.

Hug the ones you love.

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    OK, lmao. Feel free to move to Philosophy and Debate. I see it as an inspiration and a success though
    You're going to lose people in your life, and realize that no matter how much time you spent with them or how often you told them you loved them, it will never seem like it was enough.

Hug the ones you love.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Guess what? People in the south have a lot of confederate statues , and a lot of people visit them because its a part of AMERICAN HISTORY.
    That ANTIFA group is evil and probably funded by the Clinton "Foundation" ................LOL
    As a Southern American, I've always had pride in my roots, while hating slave ownership, (only the very rich had slaves btw) The Civil war was fought against unfair taxation. I still agree with the unfair part.
    There are African Americans that Love the South and Love the flag of the Confederate States.
    I've met African American people that have sent their children "down South" to escape racism from the Northern states of America..
    I hate all those people that are probably funded by the EVIL CLINTONS to stir up hate.

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote CloudMaker View Post
    I hate all those people that are probably funded by the EVIL CLINTONS to stir up hate.
    You hate....???

I'm sorry. It does sound like you have a whole lot of hate.

I hope you find some peace, CloudMaker.

Hug the ones you love.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quote InvisibleGuy View Post
    You hate....???

I'm sorry. It does sound like you have a whole lot of hate.

I hope you find some peace, CloudMaker.
    She simply hates the Clintons and people who support them. Trump's biggest fan. That was all she simply said. Anybody funded by the Clintons. If they were funded by Trump she would love them. Because Donald can't do no wrong in her eyes. The KKK and other similar groups all voted Trump into office. Which was why he refused to single them out when speaking about what happened. After some pressure he did say something about them. The next day he changed his mind again. Took it all back. Refused to blame these groups for anything at all. Why? Because they make up a large amount of his votes.

20882240_1750701824941369_4727690518089129964_n.jpg
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote sunrise View Post
    That's great that you got to experience that. It was also nice to see how much people went out to protest against the rally in Boston. It's a positive sign that there's a movement to take down those statues and removing confederate symbols in state flags. And it's about time.
    Thank you. Yeah, it was really much more awesome than I thought it would be. It really felt like I was a part of something, a part of change wanting to happen. And yeah, it is about time. It's long, long overdue.

It's strange, the difference between the two sides here. There were two groups at the park yesterday. One pretty small group that wanted the statues to remain up. A much larger group that wanted them taken down. The group that wanted the statues was so full of hate, and rage, and hostility....a few of them even came over to our group and started heckling the speakers. The group that wanted the statues taken down were fighting for basic human rights for everyone, it was all-inclusive, everyone was welcome to help fight for change. There was such a huge difference between the two groups. There was no hate in the people protesting the statues.

Hug the ones you love.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.