Thread: adopting a dog

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ExhaustedExhausted
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

adopting a dog

So,

I really want to work on my stress level and i'm considering adopting a dog. I'm on the fence kinda. I think a dog will help me become more active, and force me outdoors more. I also think it would be great to have a companion that I can teach. I do have cats but I've always really wanted a dog.

However, I'm worried about a few aspects of it. Like can I handle MORE responsibility? What if the dog makes me more anxious? etc

I really do want a dog but I guess I'm scared to make the wrong choice... so what I'm asking is.. if your a dog owner with anxiety, please help me decide. What are the pros and cons?
    Your wings were ready, my heart was not.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    I used to mind a dog for a neighbour. Take it for walks and train the animal. Sure got me out a lot more. Thing was I could give the dog back once walked. If you get a dog, where will it live? Not sure if you allowed have pets were you live? You just had the inspection and you were worried about your pet rats. Plus remember you have to train the animal. That is not easy. When not trained a dog can run wild. Just been a dog. Ripping the place up. Full of energy. I never blame the dog for been like that at all. That is just how they are until they learn. Hyper. Especially if a pup. Maybe if you adopted a more mature dog. That is already fully trained. Might be the best option. They can make great companions. Just have a think about it before you get one. Where do you leave it when you go to work? Fact that dogs do bark. Might annoy your neighbours. Have to think of all these things. Plus cleaning up after the dog. Not just dog hairs. Talking dog crap here. Never nice. But has to be done. Have a good think. Dogs are great animals.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ExhaustedExhausted
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Yeah, those are the things i'm questioning. Sometimes I get so down and depressed, I don't even want to move, let alone care for something extra... just sucks cause i'd really love to have one.
    Your wings were ready, my heart was not.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Hence I suggested a more mature dog. Fully house trained already. Not as hyper. Not as much trouble as a new pup would be.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I really want a dog to help me with my low mood too but unfortunately my apartment is to small and it wouldn't be fair in it.

They can be wonderful. It would not always be fun and games. Would having it to look after give you more motivation?
    life---> <---me

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.