Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you blame your parents?

For either contributing & or ignoring your anxiety/ mental health problems?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Um, yeah.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I used to. They ignored a lot of signs and symptoms and it was really distressing, especially as when I was 7 I had no way to find out what was happening myself. I thought that was just the way life was for me - completely anxiety-filled. I was always really curious how other people managed to get through the day just fine in school but for me every day was like a battle.

I went through this blame-struggle-thing last year, and after being angry when I realised their mistakes, I realised that they did the best that they could with what they had available to them. A little more education (just general parental education) wouldn't have hurt, but I can't fault them too much considering their intentions. They tried. They kind of failed, but at least they tried.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I frequently blame my dad because he has been verbally abusive my entire life. And then, ironically, I don't blame him, because I've done such a good job of internalizing his insults that I honestly believe that I am a worthless, pathetic person.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I blame my parents for even bringing me into this world. They both have mental health problems of their own, and it seems to run in the family on my dad's side, so I feel I was basically screwed from the very beginning.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Grand Jete View Post
    I frequently blame my dad because he has been verbally abusive my entire life. And then, ironically, I don't blame him, because I've done such a good job of internalizing his insults that I honestly believe that I am a worthless, pathetic person.
    Your dad blows.

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yeah I do. They provided the defective gene pool, the harmful environment and a stupefying capacity for denial and complacency that led to create and exacerbate many of my problems. They were moderately abusive and neglectful. And there were signs as early as primary school that I was struggling. But they couldn't really be bothered putting in the effort it takes to raise a healthy and well-adjusted child. They just did what made their life easy, and it was easier to sit around and ignore my needs and hurl abuse at me when they got frustrated. They don't have the faintest idea what turmoil I've been through. At the same time I don't feel much animosity towards them because I think at least half the population have subpar parents. I do think most people are extraordinarily selfish to have children they are not equipped to raise. But such is life.

CeCe's Avatar Diamond Girl
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HappyHappy
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I blame my family for refusing to let me take medication when I was younger.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.