Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CeCe's Avatar Diamond Girl
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HappyHappy
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Do energy drinks effect physical anxiety?

I used to drink a can of Monster Energy Drink once a day for the about 4 moths. I stopped because I knew they weren't good for me. Ever since I quit drinking them I have had 10x anxiety. I felt physically anxious well drinking them. Not drinking them, mental anxiousness?

Skippy's Avatar Pickin' and Grinnin'!
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I'd say they would increase anxiety. Quite honestly, I've no idea why those things exist at all; they're extremely bad for ya, and seem to be yet another way people make money at expense people's health. If I were to drink one of those, just one, it'd be my ticket to a hospital.
    The 10x anxiety is prolly withdraw or somethin'. I bet they got addictive stuff in there, kinda like Tim Horton's coffee or the USA version of mountain dew....

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    With all the caffeine in them, yes, probably.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would have to say for most they do. I often down one before my bike rides though.;P

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Caffeine is supposed to increase physical anxiety. I've been told by my GP, a therapist, a councillor and a p-doc to stay away from caffeine and that yes, it does make physical anxiety worse.

As Skippy said, the 10x mental anxiety probably is with withdrawl.

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    IN my experience with energy drinks. They are a devils brew for those with anxiety. In my experience. I noticed a significant increase in sweating, racing thoughts, shaking, feelings of impending doom. etc. Panic attack in a can, for me anyway
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Oh god yea! Caffeine + lots of sugar = very bad recipe for those with anxiety =/. I avoid those things like the plague.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can see absolutely no way those energy drinks would help anyone lose weight. It's like drinking sugar in a can. I was once shown the amount of exercise it takes to burn off the calories from a can of energy drink and we were doing the exercises for about an hour.

As for anxiety, yes, regular consumption of those drinks would increase anxiety levels. You'd basically be flooding your system with caffeine. Which would be okay in small doses. But a can a day for regular periods would seriously upset your body chemistry.

Mental anxiety experienced after stopping taking energy drinks could be caused by withdrawal symptoms. If you drink anything that changes your body chemistry as much as energy drinks do and you drink it for a long period of time then your body grows accustomed and addicted to it. A sudden loss of the energy drink is likely to cause mental and physical anxiety as your body gets used to not having regular energy drinks.

If you have cause to doubt your physical health, go see your doctor. The amount of people who put off going to see their doctor when it could make the world of difference.

VickieKitties's Avatar Living irl
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The sugar free energy drinks taste like piss, I mix them with vodka and lime juice usually. I take them, caffeine and diet pills all the time with little effect on my anxiety level.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    They do for me - They get me wired and jumpy, as opposed to the five-hour energy deals. I really only needs half a bottle or so, not the whole thing to stay awake.
    It's sad that we have come to that to stay motivated - caffeine isn't enough anymore.

.....it's also a surprise that this comes up with people who have anxiety, many of whom have insomnia at times.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't know, I've never drank an energy drink.

Coffee tends to relax me, though. Yes, it's insane.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote WintersTale View Post
    I wouldn't know, I've never drank an energy drink.

Coffee tends to relax me, though. Yes, it's insane.
    Do you have adhd? Coffee tends to relax people with that disorder.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Stimulants (prescription ones included) don't make me anxious but I am diagnosed with ADHD and EDS (excessive daytime sleepiness).

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Ironman View Post
    They do for me - They get me wired and jumpy, as opposed to the five-hour energy deals. I really only needs half a bottle or so, not the whole thing to stay awake.
    It's sad that we have come to that to stay motivated - caffeine isn't enough anymore.

.....it's also a surprise that this comes up with people who have anxiety, many of whom have insomnia at times.
    Interesting you should mention the 5-Hour Energy. I use about a half of one of those once in a great while and they seem to work fine without any nasty side effects. I'm hypoglycemic and actually need a bump of sugar in the morning or I won't fully wake up...but I don't need a Monster lol. I'm amazed that people buy those; they're so expensive!

If I'm gonna buy an energy drink that costs three bucks, I'm gonna buy a Four Loko and catch a freakin' buzz Followed by a lot of water and bed.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote sanspants View Post
    Interesting you should mention the 5-Hour Energy. I use about a half of one of those once in a great while and they seem to work fine without any nasty side effects. I'm hypoglycemic and actually need a bump of sugar in the morning or I won't fully wake up...but I don't need a Monster lol. I'm amazed that people buy those; they're so expensive!

If I'm gonna buy an energy drink that costs three bucks, I'm gonna buy a Four Loko and catch a freakin' buzz Followed by a lot of water and bed.
    I buy K-mart brand 5hour thingies. They are two for $1.79 .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.