Thread: Your Loss

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)

Your Loss

OK. So you are going to lose one thing. Your sight, your hearing or your speech. Which one could you not live without?

For me, for example, I would select my hearing. My life is music. Spend most of my time listening to my music. Life without music would not be life at all. People would argue that if you lost sight you would not be able to use the net or watch football. That seriously would not bother me. I could listen to football.

So the one thing I would not like to lose would be my hearing.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Out of the three, I think hearing too. You can communicate without speech (I sometimes think the majority of what people say is noise anyway, even myself). You can know what's going on around you to some extent without sight. All subjective depending on what is important to you

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Sight, but hearing would be a very close 2nd for me. I couldn't go through life without seeing my kids smiles, without seeing them laugh, walk across the stage at graduation, walk down the aisle at their weddings one day. I couldn't imagine never being able to one day see my grandkids.

Hearing would be a close second cos I've always been so into music. I got into my dad's vinyl record collection....Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Yes, Eric Clapton, Janis Joplin, Fleetwood Mac....all when I was six years old, and I fell in love. My therapist says some people seem to connect to music in ways that others can't or won't. Some people can "feel" the music in their soul. I think I'm one of those people.
    You're going to lose people in your life, and realize that no matter how much time you spent with them or how often you told them you loved them, it will never seem like it was enough.

Hug the ones you love.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I def. choose hearing. I notice so many nuances by simply listening. To truly hear a person its best without sight. Hard to explain but when im listening i learn so many things, even what?s not being said. Also, music moves me and i wouldnt want to go through life without music.
    Great question!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Agree with Jamie. I also think that for each of these things, there are things you can best appreciate through them, and only approximate via some other way.

I think you can get through life without one of these three, since there is adaptive technology that allows for that, but I wouldn't want to rely on it, because as Jamie mentioned, much of communication is non-verbal. You can technically talk for a long time and not really communicate a single thing. I was at the pharmacy this morning asking why they kept telling me prescriptions weren't ready because they were waiting to hear back from the prescribing doctor's offices. I spoke with a pharm technician then a pharmacist. Both kept interrupting me to tell me basically what I already knew, that they hadn't contacted my doctor's offices at all, but they have a policy to send a fax or email in that case to the appropriate doctor's office, then they wait to hear back. So technically they lied that they were waiting for my doctor to contact them, since they couldn't say for sure whether anyone had even been able to receive a fax or email, they had no way of knowing. But their repeatedly telling me the same thing communicated something more: "We think you are dumb and you are asking us to do more than the basic requirements of our jobs and we don't want to do that, so we will interrupt you to let you know what we think of you."

There's even a term for an experience where your brain processes information of one sort as information of a totally different sort: synaesthesia (I think that means "together-feeling"). That's more of a neurological thing where people see sounds or hear colors, but it's really interesting.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Very cool input Kevin. Synaesthesia. I read a book series called ‘memory man’ by Baldacchi (sp) and the main charecter has a brain injury and sees certain colors associated with death, for instance.
    I believe if we lose one of our senses, the others grow stronger. Anyway, this is all so intersting to me.
    Ps. Your pharmacist is a jerk. Didnt take the time to hear you.
    -peace-

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.