Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

"Digital Self-Harm" Article

A friend posted this on social media and it was a huge eye-opener to me. I didn't even know "digital self-harm" was a thing, much less that it has been actively researched for around six years. I'm interested to see what everyone thinks about this article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/artic...f-eecd47d7dfd7

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Wow. I mean, that's just....beyond messed up. Beyond fucked up. Oh my god.

I wanted to comment to mostly say that I have had a similar experience lol. I'm probably not going to be believed, when I say this. So I understand that going in. But on this "other" site.....there was someone (an admin) who created an alter ego, another user name just to harass me. And it worked. I eventually just got myself banned lol, I'm dead serious.
    You're going to lose people in your life, and realize that no matter how much time you spent with them or how often you told them you loved them, it will never seem like it was enough.

Hug the ones you love.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    The old anxiety zone site had an individual who wreaked havoc on its forums. Then another who did the same, in a different way, but the effect was the same. A lot of attention and drama was focused on these two, especially when they interacted with each other because they'd usually argue and debate over piddling things. Then a moderator on that site acted on some suspicion and checked their IP addresses and they were both either using the same computer to argue with each other, or they were actually the same guy. Really out there. I basically think any kind of behavior you encounter "in real life" can manifest in some way on the interwebs.

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Oh my God.

The admin on this "other" site basically did me a favor. I don't miss being on that site. I had tons, and tons of posts per day, and when all is said and done....I really shouldn't have been there, it was wasted time and effort on mostly teenage bloggers who fought about why they were virgins. I'm dead serious. I mean, ffs, I'm 48 years old. I have three children to raise. I have other issues besides prom. I have other issues besides getting laid next weekend.

Anyway if you had told me a few years ago that people play games like that online....I would've laughed at you so hard. Not anymore.
    You're going to lose people in your life, and realize that no matter how much time you spent with them or how often you told them you loved them, it will never seem like it was enough.

Hug the ones you love.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Yeah sunrise, I'm not saying I'm innocent of being a person who has never stated something on fb and then when a fb friend takes an issue with it or how it's stated, taken some kind of enjoyment from then trying to prove that person wrong while defending my original statement. Just that that's a human behavior, and it can happen online or in person, I guess.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I agree sunrise. If anything, digital self-harm is an extreme people go to for sympathy when they are suffering and no one seems to care. If someone took the time to understand them and they felt they were being heard about the suffering they were experiencing, it would circumvent that whole idea that attention-seeking through digital self-harm is a good idea for them. I don't think that should happen, but I can understand that some people would rather label others as attention-seeking than try to sincerely understand that someone they love is being overwhelmed and suffering.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.