Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Has anyone had to cut their family off or really distance themselves from them?

Just curious. I?ve been considering doing it. My mom and sister and a few others have been giving me a hard time as if I?m not already dealing with a lot. I?m normally happier when I?m not around them and now I just feel it?s time I stay away from good.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Whole family, or just specific members?

I haven't cut myself off from my whole family, but there are specific members of my family who I've distanced myself from - although I've not gone full no-contact with them.

I've distanced myself from my sister because honestly, after her repeatedly stealing money from me, and essentially treating me rubbishly (she had this way of being mocking/sneering and turning everything into "its about me!"), to the point it was seriously affecting my mental health and making me really quite rubbish everytime I was around her. I feel better when I have nothing to do with her.

The only reason I haven't gone no-contact is for my parents sake, and so I'll do the minimum - send over birthday cards, and be polite when we do actually have to meet, but thats it.

Honestly, it does hurt when I think about it, but it was for the best.

Fair warning if you decide to go this route - you may get some pushback from others in your family, and from others. Generally "blood is thicker than water!" or "but they're family!". Sod that. You share a couple of genes with them, and that's it. If they're making you feel rubbish each time you see them, they treat you bad and you're happier not having anything to do with them - treat them as you would if someone who was not your family did this.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I haven’t talked to anyone from my family in years. They don’t like me and I don’t like them. Mutual hate. Like Otherside said, they just made me feel worse every time I was around them for years. I’m not gonna put up with that just to gratify their own warped egos.
    I don?t like being around or interacting with other people, this is my personality. I am a jerk - I don?t mean to be, but whenever I speak up I say something rude. It?s just the way that I am. Don?t bother me.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    I'm estranged from everyone in my family besides my only sibling. I moved away 7 years ago and tried giving a relationship a chance, but you know... some people are just pieces of sh.it and you're wasting your time trying.

Family means nothing when they reduce your quality of life and self-esteem. Mother, father, siblings, whatever - none of them are worth it when toxic to you. So do what you need to do that is best for yourself.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.