Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

New Years Traditions

I used to have a hard time buying blackeyed peas and greens in time for New Years. This year I went to Safeway and they had a entire freezer section set up with all southern new years cooking items.

WOW. The clerk that rang my items up said " all set for New Years now" wow A big change from previous years.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    No traditions over here at all. Today I even took the decorations down. Maybe you can explain your traditions. As I know I would never have heard of such things before.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    I’m from the south US originally and there is a cultural tradition to eat certain foods on New Years.

Black eyed peas symbolize coins, collard greens mean money, cornbread looks like gold. It was thought if you did this you would have a better new year.

You avoid eating birds because the luck could “fly away”

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    I have just learned something new. Thank you for that. We do have a lot of traditions here in Ireland. Mainly in the rural parts. They still fear faeries. Are trees meant to belong to them. If the tree is on your land, you will work the land, but go around the tree. Once had a road built and they removed such a tree. First month ten people died on that road. Next section of road there was another tree. The were afraid to touch this tree. Went and built the road off one way and turned it back in at the cost of about a million Euro. They believed those deaths on the first section of road was because they removed the faery tree. People might still leave offerings of food at the trees. And this is 2020.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Wow I think I remember an episode of Lore about that. I don’t believe in fairies but IDK that makes me wonder

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Was a logical explination for everything. Road was a dangerous road with a sharp bend, which is were all the people died. But they were warned if they removed the tree the road would be cursed. Then all the deaths began. It does depend on what you believe. Rural folk were sure it was the curse. We have faery mounds too. They faeries are said to be buried in them. People won't go near them either. All in the mind. Like some people might believe in Voodoo. Others would laugh at the whole idea. Those who fear it would blame everything bad on it.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Booze!!!
    Beating anxiety this year

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.