Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

How long did it take to accept

Out of curiosity how long did it take you guys to understand your mental illness and fully accept it?

For me it was this year age 23 I realized I hurt pushed tons of people away ended up in a deep depression and hypomanic episode I felt alone but wanted to be as independent as possible so I stopped emotionally trying to talk about my own issues my enteral struggles

It took a entire mental breakdown to realize my meds might always be apart of my life I shouldn?t stop them because I think my future boyfriends or past wouldn?t accept I thought it was a automatic invitation that I?m crazy
    It took a lot of emotional growth and mentality changes to realize I wasn?t happy from some of my own poor choices that lead to natural consequences such as not understanding all the possible risk when I stopped all my meds cold turkey I asked my psych to just stop giving scripts

I?m just wondering for others how long did it take for you too actually accept and understand that you have a mental Illness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    In order to heal yourself you have to accept you have an issue. It sounds like you are realizing that your illness is affecting you and others. Anxiety has always been apart of my life and I knew it was there and have always worked on making it better.
    Beating anxiety this year

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Couple of years. I was officially given a diagnosis when I was 19. I probably started to accept it at 22.

I had a therapist say you go through something similar to the stages of grief- Denial, anger, bargaining, deptession and finally acceptance. I kinda went through all of those.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Still haven't accepted it

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    I still do my best to hide it. I often wonder if this is why I have never progressed?
    I've had it as long as I can remember but I never knew it was anxiety. As a child, it was just a sick feeling in the stomach.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Shredder View Post
    I still do my best to hide it. I often wonder if this is why I have never progressed?
    I've had it as long as I can remember but I never knew it was anxiety. As a child, it was just a sick feeling in the stomach.
    I also try to hide it but that’s because society doesn’t accept people with social anxiety. It’s not considered a disability that other people need to accommodate. It’s just considered poor behavior. If you don’t hide it you’re dead in the water.

I acknowledged it when I was 16. I don’t know about acceptance, I don’t want to have this curse any longer I want to have a normal happy life.
    I don?t like being around or interacting with other people, this is my personality. I am a jerk - I don?t mean to be, but whenever I speak up I say something rude. It?s just the way that I am. Don?t bother me.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.