Page 75 of 77 FirstFirst ... 25 65 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1145
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    They havent thought that through.

It's the middle of winter. During an energy crisis when gas prices are already through the roof. Chances of people wanting to open a window this winter? Not huge.

I've got electric heating and it's already expensive enough (not to mention difficult) to begin with to heat my own flat without flinging open a window.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    They are telling people to make sure the elderly are kept warm this Winter. So why not open the windows and freeze them all out of it instead. Is the same with pubs. They are asking for all windows and doors to be left open. Anywhere that sells food too. Is it worth going our for a meal if you have to wrap up warm? Keep your wolly hat on as you eat. Never mind if there is a gale force wind and rain coming in the door and the windows. It is for your own protection.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Is meant to be hitting -6 in a few weeks. People going to be flinging open a window at -6? No they are not.

Is it worth going our for a meal if you have to wrap up warm? Keep your wolly hat on as you eat. Never mind if there is a gale force wind and rain coming in the door and the windows
    We were all doing this in March here and it was literally the best thing ever after the last three months in lockdown. Sat in beer gardens with duvets and all.

Now...not so much.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    We all know the amount of Covid cases in schools. Half the kids are sitting beside open windows on very cold days. If they don't get Covid, they are bound to catch something else. Fine doing it if the weather is warmer. Always thought that video of the man dining outdoors was so funny. Rain pelting down. Him still eating his soup. Taken a drink from his glass of wine. Stopping every few seconds to wipe the rain from his face.

The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    @Otherside one just for you.

News just in, PM comes off second best in leadership challenge debate.

56340.jpeg
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    OMG I guess there was an Irish news station that showed a clip of a vaccine lab and one of the workers hid a help sign in the shot

This is the sort of thing abuse victims do!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/P85Jones/...78879355092992

17AB0796-EBD4-48D3-BC0E-76404386A8B3.jpeg

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    So this month in Britain covid -

- Omicron comes along. Travel restrictions come back. In the space of a week, more restrictions are put in with little notice. First its need to have a PCR test within 2 days of arrival + quarantine until negative result. Then its test before board plane to UK. News is full of people complaining they are unable to afford there winter vacation because they have now have to buy tests and quarantine until that comes back.

- On that note, testing previously has become a bit of a joke, with tests not turning up. Few companies on the "government approved testing list", have turned out to have been scamming people. So whilst on paper you are quarantining a few days, in reality it could be a hell of a lot longer because these companies do not deliver tests on time.

- Government gets caught throwing a Cheistmas party in Winter 2020. Rumours are that there was multiple. Denied it up and until the point that a senior government official was caught joking about it. This was right in the middle of a Christmas lockdown, when we were not allowed to meet anyone from outside of our households, let alone through a party. Were all told Christmas was cancelled. Then they ignore the rules that they say and throw a party. Understandably, people are pissed.

- Unrelated to covid, but at the same time, a whistleblower reports on how chaotic the Afganistan withdrawal was, and suggests that Boris Johnson intervened to allow cats and dogs to be evacuated from Afghanistan, directing resources that were needed to evacuate British Nationals and those at risk who were given UK Visas. Because cats and dogs were totally at risk from the Taliban. Also a scandal. I wish I was joking here. I'm not. We evacuated cats and dogs who were not at risk in the place of people, who may very well have been killed by the Taliban as a result.

- In order to distract from all of this, they decide there needs to be more restrictions. So now vaccine passports are a thing, and we all have to work from home. BUT - we can go to the work Christmas party. Boggles the mind.

...seems I can go to the office between the hours of 9-5 on a Monday to Friday. I just have to wear a party hat.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    So this month in Britain covid -

- Omicron comes along. Travel restrictions come back. In the space of a week, more restrictions are put in with little notice. First its need to have a PCR test within 2 days of arrival + quarantine until negative result. Then its test before board plane to UK. News is full of people complaining they are unable to afford there winter vacation because they have now have to buy tests and quarantine until that comes back.

- On that note, testing previously has become a bit of a joke, with tests not turning up. Few companies on the "government approved testing list", have turned out to have been scamming people. So whilst on paper you are quarantining a few days, in reality it could be a hell of a lot longer because these companies do not deliver tests on time.

- Government gets caught throwing a Cheistmas party in Winter 2020. Rumours are that there was multiple. Denied it up and until the point that a senior government official was caught joking about it. This was right in the middle of a Christmas lockdown, when we were not allowed to meet anyone from outside of our households, let alone through a party. Were all told Christmas was cancelled. Then they ignore the rules that they say and throw a party. Understandably, people are pissed.

- Unrelated to covid, but at the same time, a whistleblower reports on how chaotic the Afganistan withdrawal was, and suggests that Boris Johnson intervened to allow cats and dogs to be evacuated from Afghanistan, directing resources that were needed to evacuate British Nationals and those at risk who were given UK Visas. Because cats and dogs were totally at risk from the Taliban. Also a scandal. I wish I was joking here. I'm not. We evacuated cats and dogs who were not at risk in the place of people, who may very well have been killed by the Taliban as a result.

- In order to distract from all of this, they decide there needs to be more restrictions. So now vaccine passports are a thing, and we all have to work from home. BUT - we can go to the work Christmas party. Boggles the mind.

...seems I can go to the office between the hours of 9-5 on a Monday to Friday. I just have to wear a party hat.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    So this month in Ireland -

For now the figures are starting to go down. But we still have Christmas and New Year ahead of us. That will show another rise in cases. Like it always has done. Travel to Ireland from the UK has become a talking point. You must pass 5 antigen tests, 5 days in a row. Or else you are not entering Ireland. This one has been timed. People come home to Ireland for the Christmas period. It shows how much faith they have in antigen testing. 1 is not enough. 5 and you are fine. They have told people to call off Christmas parties. But you can still go places once there are only 6 at a table. Obvious thing to do is book 6 tables. Keep them apart. But have 6 workers at each table. That would still be your Christmas party.

Booster shots have also made the news. Conflicting reports about the uptake of them. The government saying the uptake is bad. Loads of people not turning up. Health experts saying the uptake is amazing. Everybody turning up for them. Will the real answer please stand up. Next in line is the vaccine for kids between the ages of 5 and 12. This has been approved. The dose will be lower. We also heard that in the US they are doing trials on kids under the age of 5. Schools are still big worry here. Amount of positive tests in school going people.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Lunaire's Avatar Consumer of Coffee
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    AmusedAmused
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Cuchculan View Post
    So this month in Ireland -

For now the figures are starting to go down. But we still have Christmas and New Year ahead of us. That will show another rise in cases. Like it always has done. Travel to Ireland from the UK has become a talking point. You must pass 5 antigen tests, 5 days in a row. Or else you are not entering Ireland. This one has been timed. People come home to Ireland for the Christmas period. It shows how much faith they have in antigen testing. 1 is not enough. 5 and you are fine. They have told people to call off Christmas parties. But you can still go places once there are only 6 at a table. Obvious thing to do is book 6 tables. Keep them apart. But have 6 workers at each table. That would still be your Christmas party.

Booster shots have also made the news. Conflicting reports about the uptake of them. The government saying the uptake is bad. Loads of people not turning up. Health experts saying the uptake is amazing. Everybody turning up for them. Will the real answer please stand up. Next in line is the vaccine for kids between the ages of 5 and 12. This has been approved. The dose will be lower. We also heard that in the US they are doing trials on kids under the age of 5. Schools are still big worry here. Amount of positive tests in school going people.
    It irks me quite a bit how much the vaccines are being pressured here for young children. Vaccines are going to have side effects and deaths associated with them and ultimately a risk assessment needs to be made on whether or not the protection from vaccines and subsequent boosters are going to save more people from Covid than those who die or have health complications from the vaccines.

Considering the data I’ve read so far suggests children of that age group have an extremely low risk of succumbing to Covid it seems like we’re putting pharmaceutical company profits ahead of logic and reason at the expense of children.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    I was a bit surprised to hear about been giving to young kids. We began as low as 12 and I think we all thought that would be it. It would stop at the age of 12. Now we are going as low as 5 year olds. Now there are a high number of cases in schools in Ireland. I think the main concern is the kids infecting others at home. That is one that can be debated. If the parents are vaccinated already, does the kid really need it? Then we heard of studies on kids under the age of 5 in the US. That I do not agree with. That is far to young in my own opinion. They should look at how badly kids get who have Covid and weigh up the options. Are any getting really bad? Some might have medical conditions already. They might need a shot. Other than them? Maybe a kid who lives in a house with somebody who is high risk. I would understand that one as well. A lot I don't agree with. But to give some insight into schools in Ireland. At one point we had about 14,000 kids off school. You have those who tested positive. Then you have close contacts. Only a small country here. That is a very high number. Think they imagined they had to do something to bring the numbers down in school.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    AmusedAmused
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Agree that there may be circumstances where small kids could benefit from having it such as immune compromised children. Otherwise it seems foolish to force it without having hard data on what percent of them die from Covid compared to what percent will die from or have debilitating side effects from the vaccine.

You brought up another thing I find ridiculous about how Covid response is being handled - if the vaccines are truly effective, then why care if someone else is vaccinated or not? And although there’s evidence they help reduce spread in many cases they do not prevent getting it or spreading it altogether. A vaccinated person who has little to no symptoms due to the vaccine’s protection may actually be more likely to spread it compared to someone who is unvaccinated who is able to clearly tell they are ill and avoid people.

I’m utterly shocked at how this has all been handled especially in Europe. It seems to me that people are happily giving up their freedoms to governments when many of their justifications don’t actually align with the science.

This disease is now endemic. Even if 100% of the world population is vaccinated the vaccines don’t fully prevent the spread. Even if the vaccines prevented the spread it has infected the wildlife and livestock populations and can mutate from there.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    @Lunaire Is a myth we've locked down over cases. Has been hospitalizations that have been the reason for a lockdown. Similar in the rest of Europe. Vaccine prevents against severe disease and death in most cases. So those who catch it who are 2x/3x aren't ending up in ICU. Problem is the unvaccinated are the ones sending up in ICUs. Which then means the capacity is not there when people end up in ICUs for other reasons, if it full with covid patients. Do not agree with what some European countries - Austria, for example, are doing with mandating the vaccines. But can see why they are.

Freedoms to government - different culture over here, in general we're a lot less focussed on individual freedoms here, more on society as a whole than in US. Lot of the lockdowns have been self-enforced in the UK.

I agree with you as far an endemic. Had been treated as such unti omicron. Masking and distancing had pretty much stopped here, at least in England. Was like a different world when it came to restrictions and masks when you left England. Because of the vaccines. Have the advantage of having had a high uptake rate. But now for some reason panicking about omicron. Even though it looks like omicron is milder. But is all politics playing out here with it. So restrictions back in. Because of omicron. Which are masks made compulsory again, vaccine passes for some things, and travel restrictions. And all advised to work from home again. Could well be more restrictions. But will have a very, very difficult time actually getting people to follow them this time round. Because they have thrown these parties last christmas. One rule for us, another for them kind of thing. Hasn't gone down well. Personally do intend to ignore any christmas restrictions this time round. Am not having another cancelled christmas. Not this year. Not when they don't follow the rules themselves.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    AmusedAmused
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    @Lunaire Is a myth we've locked down over cases. Has been hospitalizations that have been the reason for a lockdown. Similar in the rest of Europe. Vaccine prevents against severe disease and death in most cases. So those who catch it who are 2x/3x aren't ending up in ICU. Problem is the unvaccinated are the ones sending up in ICUs. Which then means the capacity is not there when people end up in ICUs for other reasons, if it full with covid patients. Do not agree with what some European countries - Austria, for example, are doing with mandating the vaccines. But can see why they are.

Freedoms to government - different culture over here, in general we're a lot less focussed on individual freedoms here, more on society as a whole than in US. Lot of the lockdowns have been self-enforced in the UK.

I agree with you as far an endemic. Had been treated as such unti omicron. Masking and distancing had pretty much stopped here, at least in England. Was like a different world when it came to restrictions and masks when you left England. Because of the vaccines. Have the advantage of having had a high uptake rate. But now for some reason panicking about omicron. Even though it looks like omicron is milder. But is all politics playing out here with it. So restrictions back in. Because of omicron. Which are masks made compulsory again, vaccine passes for some things, and travel restrictions. And all advised to work from home again. Could well be more restrictions. But will have a very, very difficult time actually getting people to follow them this time round. Because they have thrown these parties last christmas. One rule for us, another for them kind of thing. Hasn't gone down well. Personally do intend to ignore any christmas restrictions this time round. Am not having another cancelled christmas. Not this year. Not when they don't follow the rules themselves.
    When I mentioned how things were being handled in Europe the two countries in my mind were Austria and also Germany due to police doing random checks asking for vaccination papers when people are out shopping. While not in Europe Australia also apparently has full on quarantine camps. I haven’t heard too much about authoritarianism in your part of the world at least on this matter. There are certainly other policies there I strongly disagree with but won’t get into them.

We definitely seem to value personal freedoms more here in the states although one of the two major political parties has been rapidly inching closer towards authoritarianism here as well which scares me. I’m a strong believer that the slippery slope fallacy isn’t actually a fallacy and that when you give governments an inch then they will take a mile. We saw it here in the states with the Patriot Act which 9/11 was used as an excuse to justify. It seems governments never let a good crisis go to waste when it comes to power grabs.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Lunaire View Post
    When I mentioned how things were being handled in Europe the two countries in my mind were Austria and also Germany due to police doing random checks asking for vaccination papers when people are out shopping. While not in Europe Australia also apparently has full on quarantine camps. I haven’t heard too much about authoritarianism in your part of the world at least on this matter. There are certainly other policies there I strongly disagree with but won’t get into them.

We definitely seem to value personal freedoms more here in the states although one of the two major political parties has been rapidly inching closer towards authoritarianism here as well which scares me. I’m a strong believer that the slippery slope fallacy isn’t actually a fallacy and that when you give governments an inch then they will take a mile. We saw it here in the states with the Patriot Act which 9/11 was used as an excuse to justify. It seems governments never let a good crisis go to waste when it comes to power grabs.
    So the German World seems to have low vaccine rates for some reason. Delta has also hit them at the worst time - right in the middle of winter. Covid has a seasonal factor. So they head back into lockdown. They tried the "only lockdown the vaccinated" in Austria, which turned out to not work. So they locked down everyone. Now there is a lot of blame going round. Also a lot more acceptance towards ID cards than in the anglosphere. Have to carry ID in some countries over there, show it if requested. Is checks at times on ID even pre-covid times over there.

Australia -> Yeah, thats really something. Have a zero covid policy. Which sure. Worked out for a while. That policy also included quarantine hotels though. If you flew into Aus, you have to quarantine in a hotel for a certain period of time. And there was also a limited number of quarantine hotel spaces. Luck of the draw you will get one of those. (But they've been letting celebrities in, and the celebrities have been able to quarantine outside of the hotels) there is a lot of Australians stranded in the UK. Similar policy in New Zealand. Sort of have those hotels here. South Africa currently on that list. Unlike Australia and New Zealand though, haven't stopped our citizens from entering. Which is the unforgivable part IMO, of what Australia and NZ have done.

Do agree with you on the authoritarianism, give an inch take a mile. Covid aside, some of the stuff happening in the states is a bit scary.

Didn't mean anything by it. Sorry, was just trying to explain why it is happening over here.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Page 75 of 77 FirstFirst ... 25 65 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.