Page 71 of 77 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1145
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Are an Island nation so a lot more difficult to come here. So they use boats. Cross through Europe, then get a dinghie across from France. About as safe as that sounds - if the boat fails, you drown. But been more of those boats arriving lately - so now they're scratching there heads trying to figure out how to stop the crossings.

Gone through a few nuts ideas (Giant Wave Machines). Still havent figured it out. Now looking af copying what Australia does (sending people who they and cross to Australia by boat to offshore processing centres in Papau New Guinea.) Tried asking a few of the Overseas Territories if theyd let them build a camp there. Those governments said no. Considered one on a Scottish island. Scotgov said no. Seem to considering Rwanda now of all places.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Think about them arriving in the UK for one moment. And think about why a lot of British people voted for Brexit? This whole thing of closing your borders to such people. We leave the EU and that problem will be solved. Here they are still arriving. So leaving the EU and using that to gain yes votes has not really changed one thing.

Wave machine? Sounds like a thrill ride at a water park. The water and the risk of crossing can be bad enough at the best of times.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Made it more difficult to send them back to France. Was able to do that before with the Dublin agreement. Rules were that they had to claim asylum in the first EU country they set foot in - usually the Southern European ones. Now they cannot do that. MPs keep screaming "Send them back to France!". But they are not French citizens, so France will not accept the return of non-citizens who were illegally in France to begin with now they do not have to. Ironically has made the problem slightly worse.

Attitude here though those is that if you are coming in a dinghie from France then claiming asylum in the UK, that France is a safe country and you should be claiming asylum there. Term "Asylum country shopping" is used. Asylum claim will fail because of that.

Sending them to Rwanda? Hope is, that as Australia has done with Papau New Guinea, that the dinghie crossings will stop if there theres very little chance of being able to settle in the UK if you arrive by dinghie, if you just end up in Rwanda if you do that. Supposedly they're going to make it easier to apply outside the UK, did similar with Syrian resettlement program. Will see if it works.

I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    If they were coming from another EU country, then you might tell them they could only go EU countries and offload them on us or France. But they are coming from Africa. The UK has not got the right to send them to any other country. Using EU laws. Because they are no longer in the EU. That is what I think the UK public thought would stop once they left the EU. Closing your borders. That was probably the biggest issue of all with the whole Brexit thing. I wonder how the public see it now? Leaving the EU has not stopped these people arriving in the UK.

It is meant to be the first country you land in. That I will admit. How they avoid France is a bloody mystery. That is between Africa and the UK. Are we to take it that they sail around France? Not that I would believe that for one second. It was like people arriving in Ireland from certain African countries via plane. There is no direct flight from their country to Ireland. They had to stop in another country first. Board a second plane. France acted dumb about the whole issue again. Mind you the UK acted as dumb. Some of them were landing in the UK first. Then let go on to Ireland.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Is a bit of a funny one when it comes to EU migration - had labour coming in from Eastern Europe for years - mostly Bulgarians and Romanians. Did the jobs that nobody here would do. Fruit picking on farms for example. Had difficulties last year with covid getting people in, so they started up a "pick for Britain" scheme, tried to get the locals to do it. But they didn't get many people wanting to do it, or got applications from people who would never have managed to spend 9 hours a day 6 days a week picking strawberries. Is definatley exploitative. No argument there.

But now those Eastern Europeans cannot come in to work. So the fruit isnt getting picked. Gov did look at a Visa scheme for fruit pickers, but didnt offer up enough. Few of those visas went to Belarusians - and there is currently no flights between the UK and Belarus after the Ryanair incident.

I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    We had the same trouble with fruit pickers due to Covid. One crowd flew hundreds of them into Ireland at a time when nobody was allowed fly into Ireland. It caused uproar and people stopped buying their products. All died down after a month or two. But they are jobs Irish people would not do. It was more the Covid thing. But it was either get them in or the crop dies off. We all know about freedom of movement between EU countries. Which the UK does not have to put up with now. I was curious as to how that would work out. Visa or something else. As you can't just show up and say ' Hi, I am entering your country '. Some countries have electronic visas. You apply for them and you get them on your phone. At least now you can stop people entering your country in that respect. Turn them around. Back home you go. If they want to visit the next EU country, by law, you do send them to Ireland. That is all above board. For people from EU countries only. Not Africans.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    They are saying there are food shortages here at the moment because of the storm of Brexit/covid/track and trace telling people to isolate. But confusing. Went to Tesco yesterday and there was lots of food. Lots of toliet roll. (Well, there was a shortage of ice cream but it's a heatwave, that happens anyway.)

They have a Visa scheme. But not enough on offer. Mostly Russians and Belarussians who applied for it. Is mostly agencies that do the recruitment for these farms. Had people here insisting that British people would do it. But those people were always insisting that British people other than them do it. Here is a job you work nine hours a day on 6 days a week, and you share a caravan with several others - and the British were not prepared to do that. Low paid here, but that money is worth a lot more in Eastern Europe. They will likely have to offer more of those visas. Just as other countries outside of the EU do. Will likely be even more exploitative than it already is. The Bulgarians could move to another farm if they were treated crap. But a Russian on a Visa that ties them to a job wont be able to.

I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Oddly Tesco is out of water over here. Again you might put it down to the heat. You would imagine they would get some in. Not that hard really. Place an order. Is made in Ireland. Also shows how much water we drink. Nobody trusts tap water over here. With the UK I am sure you will hear lots after Brexit. Lots that is not really happening. One side throwing lies out there. We all know how lies can turn into truths so easily.

Not sure about Irish people going to the UK. Have to check that one out. As you have a lot living and working there as a rule. Did wonder would any of that change. More those working there. Of it the UK and Ireland agreed on something that Boris didn't back track on. About entering both countries with the need for anything new.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Think the Irish can still work here and vice versa. Pretty much every government thing I've had to call over the last few years has had a pre recorded message reminding you to apply for EU Settlement status if needed and has ended with "Irish nationals need not apply." Is a proportion of the population in the North that is entitled to a UK Passport but wouldn't touch one with a barge pole after all. Easiest way to deal with that. Ireland probably aware of a similar problem it would have in the event of a border poll.

Tap Water is good here. Never bought it from the stores. Dont know if they're out here. They were almost out of lemonade though. Guess everyones drinking that this year. Heat wave should almost be over here though apparently. Thank God.

I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    When you think about the North of Ireland been outside the EU and the Republic been inside the EU, without some sort of common sense deal, it would be right a mess up. People do cross the border on a daily basis. Half of a town could be in the Republic and the other half in the North. Wouldn't that has been amusing if you needed something special to get into the part that was in the North. laughing just thinking about that. Is seriously one road with a line down the middle of it. Republic on one side of the line and North on the other side. Hard for even Boris to put a border on that one. Is the same in a lot of places.

Tesco tend to run out of a certain things for a while. Then they get them back in. Might have a few weeks without something. When asked once a manager in the store said a driver came down with Covid? I kid you not. I said, have they got no other drivers? I was not buying the excuse. One 16 wheeler might arrive with loads of things on a certain day. If that fails to show they will be short of things until the next 16 wheeler arrives. We are fine around here. Is a number of shops all within walking distance. Can't get it in one shop, simply go to the other shop.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Heard of a guy who's front door was in the republic, back door in the North, got his post through the Irish postal service but electric was supplied by UK...

Doubt they would have built a border wall in his living room or anything, but would have been chaos.

Is the perfect storm here - drivers being pinged and having to isolate for two weeks. Brexit meaning lorry drivers cannot come from Eastern Europe for better or for worse (I say for better or for worse, was also an exploitative industry in some ways that had thrived on being able to underpay workers from that side of the old Iron Curtain). DVLA having a massive backlog and so HGV Licenses are not being issued, HGV driving tests not being done. Tax changes here also playing a part. Few lorry drivers here now also going on strike over pay and conditions now.

Still not seeing the shortages. Some prices gone up maybe. Few pence or so, nothing massive. Nothing you wouldnt see on a yearly basis with inflation anyway though I'd say. Even all the definatley sourced from the EU stuff still there and in stock. The Greek Feta, Cypriot Halloumis, Spanish Chorizo, Italian tomatoes and French Bries.

I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    It can be very strange in the border towns. Impossible to do anything about how the land is. As you pointed out about one house. You have that with most towns. Part in the North, part in the Republic. Impossible to say ' here is the border '. People have always simply been left alone. Too much of mess really if they did try and do something.

There are new routes from France to Ireland. Ones that never existed before. Think we only ever had one in the past. Now they are sailing around the UK. To save on a lot of trouble with paperwork. Will mean less driving. More time on a ferry. But we are the furthest country west in the EU now. They are using planes too. Just to avoid the UK. I am sure drivers in the UK will see a big difference. As most of time they probably had to go to EU countries. If that was to stop it would be a nightmare for them. Probably still have a few runs. I would guess not as many as before. Depending on how things are with trade deals.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Itd be a mess for that reason if Scotland ever goes. What happens to that border. Lot of people cross over that thing daily to go to work. Is a reason that borders regions mostly votes no and for pro-Union parties. All very well the SNP saying that dont intend for there to be a border. But they also intend to join the EU, or at the very least, EFTA (Norway, swiss, Iceland grouping). So unless that UK has also decided to join the EFTA or whatever. So when that happens? There will be a border of sorts. And they do want to answer that question. Also do not consider that UK might decide to stick on there in that eventuality.

Sensible to avoid the UK if you are trading with the rest of EU. Save the paperwork, save the hassle for drivers, likely save time. Still not seeing the shortages they say there are. Very strange seeing pictures of shortages and being told there are shortages - mostly being told this from people outside of the UK, who seen desperate to convince me there are shortages mind - and there not be shortages when you go. Colleague ran off to panic buy the other day because of that. Utterly pointless. Was fine when i went to Tesco two hours later. Might be shortages in a few stores I guess.

They are however, still out of ice cream.

I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    If Scotland were to break away from the rest of the UK, could they not make a trade deal with them? We will keep this and that, but other than that we are out on our own. Or would England tell them to get lost? You voted to leave, so you are now on your own. Which would be hard to begin with. No support from the UK government at all. Not sure of the Scottish turn over each year. If it would be enough to keep a country running? I look at the North of Ireland and I see a big loss every year. They are propped up by the UK government. They never make a profit. That is what a lot of Irish people fail to see when they say they want a united Ireland. Is this extra chunk of money needed for the North just going to fall out of the sky every year?

Makes a mental note to send you over some ice cream. Plenty of it over here. Tesco has run short on water over here. Two main lots that sell well and made in Ireland and Scotland. Have to had to go another shop just to get the water. Why we are short of water that is made in Ireland is a bloody mystery. Scottish made water I could understand. I do think with the UK you might have people just putting it out there. Dare I say fake news? But more as a way of saying they said this would happen when Brexit came about. It is not really happening. But if enough people read the story they will start to believe it. Run to the shops and then just stand there looking at a full shop of food. With items coming from some countries it just might happen with those items. Tesco make enough of their own goods. Made in the UK. Hence we might be short at times. If trucks fail to show.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Either could happen. They do not want to answer those questions whenever any asks those. Difficult questions come up and they avoid it. Not that it will matter so much. Lot of people will vote based on emotion. Think there will likely be a narrow yes vote when the vote comes up again.

Does seem fake news at the moment. Is very funny being told by someone from Germany that there is massive food shortages, that were struggling together fresh fruit and vegetable. Didnt seem to accept that I wasnt seeing the shortages, that there was lots there. Strange one that. Would say prices have gone up a few pence maybe. But stuff still coming in. Even the definatley from EU stuff (Feta, Halloumi, etc.)

Is also a very small subset of the remain vote that I'd very extreme in there views - and seem desperate for there to be food shortages for some reason. Or for people to lose there jobs because of it. And for there to be chaos. Dont understand it myself. Can make the argument without that.

I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Page 71 of 77 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.