Page 74 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24 64 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1145
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote rabidfoxes View Post
    This reminds me why I barely ever log onto social media like Facebook or Twitter. There's so much vitriol going about dressed up as humour. Personally, I support the protesters but violence should not be a joke regardless of which side people take in the debate.
    It's Fakebook and $#!773R for ya....I don't even know where to look for stuff like that

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote CloudMaker View Post
    I don?t get it
    In the UK we have a group of protestors called Insulate Britain who sit on the road and refuse to move. Pretty much a daily occurrance now. They want the government to provide insulation. They've refused to move for an ambulance, a women pleading because she's following her mother in an ambulance and a man taking his father to cancer treatment.

They are pretty much all middle class pensioners. Any criticism of them or raise any of those points and you just get respond with "well this is nothing compared to the oncoming deaths from the climate crisis, tough [BEEP] if people can't get to hospital appointments." Next to noone likes them here. Agree with what they're protesting for, way they're protesting is wrong.

They've started gluing themselves to the road now, did have a guy a week back from them who glued his face to the road, for some reason thought that was a grand idea.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote rabidfoxes View Post
    This reminds me why I barely ever log onto social media like Facebook or Twitter. There's so much vitriol going about dressed up as humour. Personally, I support the protesters but violence should not be a joke regardless of which side people take in the debate.
    I dont think I've come across anyone who disagrees with what they're protesting, but they're doing it in the wrong way. Blocking an ambulance is the absolute red line, you do not do that.

I live in an area close to an M25 junction that theyve sat in. It's going to end badly. There is a lot of anger and frustration here towards them, and it may very well end up with one morning, someone assaulting one of the protestors because they are unable to get to work and will not be paid for the time they're stuck behind the protestors (and for a few people here, those hours are the difference between a bill payment going out or not, particularly with the energy crisis right now.)

TBh this has also been timed perfectly for Priti to push through her "let's ban protests". The perfect advert for that bill. Have seen people wondering if they are a plant for that, but seems a bit tinfoil hat for that.

I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    None of us are saying we disagree over what they are up in arms about. It is more the way they are going about doing what they are doing. Rule number 1 of protests is never block an ambulance in. Or even a fire brigade. They are obviously out doing very important work.

In the picture I posted they were blocking a van doing the work of what they were protesting was not been done. Which solves nothing at all. They want support from the public. But they get in the way of that same public. You read the stories up above. Using glue? Sticking your face to the road.

Motorists do get angry. Was another one I posted. A motorist had enough. He got out and attacked one of the protesters blocking his road. Ambulance couldn't reach the person who was attacked because all the victims friends were blocking the road.

Point been, there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Anyway, covid news, moved the boosters
    up from Six months after to five months. Is now letting me book.

(And no, we don't pronounce it "Borcestershire" lol )

I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    @Otherside @Cuchculan I am in complete agreement with you regarding not blocking ambulances, I can also understand the frustration and anger of the drivers. Like you said, some of them have somewhere to be and it can be a difference between getting paid and going hungry. I hope that I did not come across as if I'm accusing you of anything as I really agree with a lot of what you're saying. What I was reacting against were the people/memes that incite or casualise violence.

Excess/anger out of control is destructive whichever the side may be. Some of the protesters take it too far, some of the opposition do too. We have laws to deal with these kinds of excesses - laws governing the obstruction of highways and the obstruction of emergency services, as well as criminal/civil liability for violence against a person.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    @rabidfoxes No, I understand where you're coming from. Not so much of a fan of the violent memes either. Though I'm not surprised it eventually happened, was horrified to see that women ram one of them with her car.

Excess/anger out of control is destructive whichever the side may be. Some of the protesters take it too far, some of the opposition do too. We have laws to deal with these kinds of excesses - laws governing the obstruction of highways and the obstruction of emergency services, as well as criminal/civil liability for violence against a person.
    Yeah, I just wish they'd enforce them. I'm not sure why they keep arresting them, and then letting them go repeatedly. Makes no sense. Does lend some support to the "its a government plant" theory.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    My mom got her booster shot this week...….ten months after the first two. Visitors are still banned from the house.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    @rabidfoxes I think I more or less laugh at the memes that show them actually blocking the truck that is going around doing the work they are meant to be protesting about. I am not a violent person. Think in the past I said the police should just clear the roads. Think I suggested water cannons. Water is harmless. Heck those things shoot that water at you at such a rate it would not be nice to get a blast of it. Those who get arrested are the bees knees in the eyes of the other protesters. Taken one for the cause. Have questioned what they all do for a living to be able to turn up and just sit on a road like that? I would assume some work. Do they ask their boss for time off to go sit on a road? If they get arrested could that mean the loss of their job? Would they use what they were doing as a way of not getting sacked. Others would be on welfare. Sitting on a road is not exactly looking for work. Just surprised more have not been cut off welfare or sacked from their jobs. The right to protest is always there. If I look here in Ireland, most protests are on the weekend. No work. Get more people out to take part. Odd time you might have a week day protest. What happens there is a lot of people turn up for college and the likes and then they all walk out at a certain time. Planned in advance. Without the colleges known. A one day walk out. Then they have a set place to meet up. Those are more rare. Protest all they want. But do it the right way.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Anybody seen the Brazilian vaccine mascot? I think they could have thought this out a bit better. Looks like a member of the KKK.

251006168_10160012139412386_7450555813744075881_n.jpg
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quote Cuchculan View Post
    @rabidfoxes I think I more or less laugh at the memes that show them actually blocking the truck that is going around doing the work they are meant to be protesting about. I am not a violent person. Think in the past I said the police should just clear the roads. Think I suggested water cannons. Water is harmless. Heck those things shoot that water at you at such a rate it would not be nice to get a blast of it. Those who get arrested are the bees knees in the eyes of the other protesters. Taken one for the cause. Have questioned what they all do for a living to be able to turn up and just sit on a road like that? I would assume some work. Do they ask their boss for time off to go sit on a road? If they get arrested could that mean the loss of their job? Would they use what they were doing as a way of not getting sacked. Others would be on welfare. Sitting on a road is not exactly looking for work. Just surprised more have not been cut off welfare or sacked from their jobs. The right to protest is always there. If I look here in Ireland, most protests are on the weekend. No work. Get more people out to take part. Odd time you might have a week day protest. What happens there is a lot of people turn up for college and the likes and then they all walk out at a certain time. Planned in advance. Without the colleges known. A one day walk out. Then they have a set place to meet up. Those are more rare. Protest all they want. But do it the right way.
    I didn't for a moment think were a violent person, I hope I didn't give that impression! You actually come across as thoughtful and fair from your posts. I think they can't use water cannons atm because 1) Potentially risky on a highway; 2) It's the cold season so it could pose a hypothermia risk. I'm no expert on the subject, these are just some things I've read. The tricky thing with protests is that a protest is often more effective when it's disruptive and it's not an easy thing to balance. You have needs of people who are protesting/represented by protest (e.g. people whose children's lives will be affected by the environmental crisis) vs needs of people who need to go about their business (e.g. road users). I think you can effectively argue either side. Although in my view there should be no debate needed about emergency services being allowed to do their job.

As someone who has participated in some protests, demonstrations and an occasional camp-out, I can say that at times I was unemployed (I wasn't on benefits so 'looking for work' wasn't an issue) and at times I had to reconcile work with protesting (camping outside St Paul's as part of Occupy whilst changing into a suit and going to work every day was very weird). Ultimately, people who glue themselves to the tarmac are not doing it for fun. They feel the lives of many people are on the line. I've met people who did walk out of work to protest because they felt a lot more than financial security was at stake.

@Otherside I wonder if it's less of a conspiracy and more of an opportunistic use of the situation. Priti 'Vacant' Patel doesn't strike me as very smart although of course she could be getting advice!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    To me it depends on the protest. I think some people would protests over anything. If they got what hey wanted on protest number 1, they would be back on the streets in under a week over something else. In other words ' any excuse to protest '. We have a core group of them who are always the same faces. Some of what they protest over is not worth protesting over. Like if they elect somebody to power. They might protest against the person they elected. Just because they can. Person is in charge of the country now, let us get them out of power now. Pointless protest.

Water charges were been brought in over here a few years back. That was until 1/4 million people took to the streets of Dublin. Streets are narrow here. That many people just seemed to go on and on and on. But it was something worth protesting over. But it was done by the large numbers that turned out. They done away with the whole idea.

As for people gluing themselves to the road? Bit over the top. You want the support of the public. Blocking roads and the public will turn them against you. Things will begin to heat up. Fights will break out. That is what is happening in the UK with people sitting on the roads. I get blocking the roads will get you attention. Get you in the papers. But it will annoy the public. Only things people refused to support here in Dublin was when people done that same thing. Sat on the roads. The public refused to back them. They quickly faded away over here.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Cuchculan View Post
    Anybody seen the Brazilian vaccine mascot? I think they could have thought this out a bit better. Looks like a member of the KKK.

251006168_10160012139412386_7450555813744075881_n.jpg
    KKK indeed.

He looks creepy.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Ironman View Post
    My mom got her booster shot this week...?.ten months after the first two. Visitors are still banned from the house.
    Grandpa had his a few weeks back. Not sure about care homes, but no restrictions here.

They did ask us to open a window though if we have anyone around. See who you want, just open a window.

I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Problem with opening windows is we are nearing Winter. Is cold enough now as it is. Will only get colder. Who is going to want to have windows opened?
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Page 74 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24 64 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.