67 Post(s)
    Saw this comic and thought you might enjoy it

Attachment 4729

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Nearly as bad as the Irish navy. We have 2 whole ships. What do they do? Mainly rescuse refugees from the water between Africa and mainland Europe. Was rather amusing when one ship had something wrong with it and couldn't be used. A 1 ship navy we had for about a year.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Cuchculan View Post
    Nearly as bad as the Irish navy. We have 2 whole ships. What do they do? Mainly rescuse refugees from the water between Africa and mainland Europe. Was rather amusing when one ship had something wrong with it and couldn't be used. A 1 ship navy we had for about a year.
    I thought it was referencing the economy more than an actual navy since the EU doesn’t have much of a navy right? IDK maybe I’m wrong

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Your joke was meaning the UK seeing itself as this amazing Empire. Or Boris thinking he could make it great again. When it was just him in a tiny boat versus everybody else in huge boats.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    So joke is few peope in the UK that still do see themselves as an amazing empire. ("We won the second world war!" "We had an empire once!") Few of those people seem to think that by brexiting, they'll become a great "free trading" nation, not being tied down to rules or regulations.

In reality, we're going to have to align ourselves with one of the bigger economies - US, China or EU. Cost to either of those options. Can't see it being China, since we're currently having a bit of a spat with them over Hong Kong.

So, US or EU. EU wants us to align with there regulation in exchange for a deal. US wants access to our food market, meaning we have to lower food standards, which would kill British farming - so not popular with farmers, who have been slow-driving tractors through London in protest. Or well, anyone here really. Some point though, UK will have to chose which bigger economy to align with.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    they have always tried to be close to the US. Going to war with them and the likes. Backing them at every chance they can get. Makes them feel big. Feel important. But trading is a whole new thing. Who can offer the better deal? Other countries might view them as desperate. Out on their own. Thus offer a bad deal to them. Sort of take it or leave it. Might end up that the EU offers the best deal. That would be irony at its best. But the deal would not be as good as it would be if you were still a member state.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Cuchculan View Post
    they have always tried to be close to the US. Going to war with them and the likes. Backing them at every chance they can get. Makes them feel big. Feel important. But trading is a whole new thing. Who can offer the better deal? Other countries might view them as desperate. Out on their own. Thus offer a bad deal to them. Sort of take it or leave it. Might end up that the EU offers the best deal. That would be irony at its best. But the deal would not be as good as it would be if you were still a member state.
    no offense to anyone on here but I think the average citizen in the US doesn’t care anything about Britain. I doubt most people here would even be able to point to it on a map

It’s hard enough to get people here to care about US problems. the largest voter turnout we ever seem to get is 60%

so any trade deals the UK gets offered are going to come straight from American corporations and they only ever have their own best interests in mind

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    I think a lot of people thpught it would be easy to get deals. UK isnt as attractive as they think it is, everyone wants something. We're likely headed for a relationship as close as the Swiss have long term. Going to take quite a bit of time though.

Right now, we'll either no deal, or he'll concede everything accept for a token concession. Probably on fish. For some reason people fetishize fish here. I dont know why, the entire UK floristry industry contributes more than the fishing industry. Which won't be able to sell its fish, because guess where that goes. Probably be able to sell a lot to some people so long as we "got are fish back".
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    not sure that America would buy much fish. people here tend to not be fans of seafood and we’re one of the largest beef and poultry producers in the world so unless Britain sells fish so cheap it’s at a loss and cost competitive I can’t see us buying much.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Fish has always been a big deal over here too. Lot got to do with the seas and who can fish them and the quotas. I always view it like a personal mini war. Spain are well known for breaking all the fishing rules. Coming into water they are not meant to be in. Catching way above their quota. Always uproar over it.

Though I would have just assumed meat would be the big thing. Again another one that causes murder here. How much the farmers are paid for their livestock. Always protests about it. They block the streets of Dublin with their tractors. Crazy feckers. Though I can understand their anger. They had been farming one thing. But so were loads of other farmers. The government asks them to start farming something new. Gives them a grant to set them up. Gets them a buyer in Ireland. Move on two years and the buyer won't meet their asking price. If you don't sell if will go to ruin. Sell and you earn less than what it probably costs to farm the stuff. Now the EU for years had a food mountain. A what? Just a name put on unwanted food. Main one was a butter mountain. Used to give butter away here for nothing for years. Far too much of it. So you can be told what to farm. No point in farming what everybody else is farming. The price would go down big time. Due to having the market flooded with it.

All that just to say that is why having good trade deals matters. To sell what you produce. Have a good market for it. With good prices.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Wasn’t brexit partially popular because people were upset with immigration?

How are people there taking this?

Attachment 4730

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    They assumed it would mean closed borders. People from other EU countries can come and go as they please. But they still arrive from Africa. Mostly via France. Back of lorries. But that was a big selling point at the very start.

Ironic from a Country who invaded hundreds of other countries. Hating people coming to their country. To explain, when talking about the British, we see English people in a different light. Rest of the UK is fine. Just a reputation that follows the English no matter where they go. For fighting and wrecking holiday resorts.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    ^Tell me about it. Always feels a bit embarresing abroad. Feel like I need I apologize for it. "Sorry, my fellow Brits are twats when they go holiday." They go to Spain/Cyprus/Some Greek Island/Eastern Europe because "beer is cheap", spend the entire time getting pissed and trashing stuff.

Wasn't really one reason. Some people disagreed with how the EU was run. Didn't want a closer political union, wanted a looser arrangement. Norway and Switzerland have a looser one - not part of the EU, but have a close relationship, can opt out of parts of it, but dont get a say.

Some weren't happy with immigration. The odd ones are the ones who seem to think that will "send those muslims home." Not sure why they think that will decrease. Increase, if anything. We need immigrants to fill certain job roles - nursing roles, doctors and the like. Or fruit picking. A large number of workers from Eastern Europe fly over each summer to pick fruit. Likely still have immigrants coming to pick fruit, just from outside the EU.

Then theres "lexiteers" who seem to believe that by leaving the EU, we will somewhat become a Socialiet Utopia, and the EU was holding them back and preventing them from doing that. Those ones are funny. That's never going to happen. UK is now likely to become more globalist and capitalist, not less.

Then those who want closer relationship with the countries that were once a part of the Empire. But only the white ones. They have this idea where we'll have freedom of movement and free trade worth Canada, Australia and New Zealand. They'd have a fit if you reminded them that India, Pakistan and Tanzania were once a part of the Empire. They dont want freedom of movement with them. Government did ask Australia and New Zealand if they could have free movement with them. Australia didn't particularly want a lot of unskilled Brits getting on a plane and moving to a sunnier, English speaking country, and New Zealand worried that there would be a Brain Drain of its skilled citizens going to work in London.

With the coin one, probably nobody will really notice. Not on any news anywhere. We have of load of different coins with different designs on, some very bizarre. I've got one with a cat on it somewhere. Apparently worth quite a bit.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Best holiday I ever had was in Spain. Why? Hotel was a mixture of Irish and Scottish. Was a two week long party. That is why we single out the English. The Scottish know how to have fun. They don't need to start fights. Just the English and their football hooligan mentality. No reason for you to say ' sorry ' for them. Have been in all UK countries over the years. Only trouble was in England once they knew we were Irish. Scotland was different. Irish jersey on. Not a problem at all. People wanting to talk to you.

As for the EU and leaving. I think there was a lot of mixed messages to begin with. If they left what would happen. At that time the main talking point was closing your borders. Just have to look at an episode of Alf Garnet to view what people see as a true Englishman. That would be banned from TV today. Then ' Love thy neighbour '. Black people were always in the wrong. Then the Indians coming to the UK. Is funny as anything to watch back now. Alf loved his football too. Always having a go at the black players.

Looks like nobody wants you. Though I am sure something will come up. To begin with it will be hard. On everybody. Bit of a double blow to the economy. Talking this virus as well as Brexit. One would have been bad by itself. Now you have to deal with both of them.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Something will come along I think. How long depends, likely need a change of government. As I said suspect it will be swiss arrangement. Gonna be a rough 2020s though. UK may not survive it. Not sure I want to stick around for all of it. Other half is Irish so one of us going to have to move eventually. And thank God for the Common Travel Area, makes things a bit easier. Least that Freedom of Movenent is still there. If it wasn't for work, probably already be gone.

The English seem to hate everyone. Even other English. Southerners hate Northerners, and vice versa. Londoners just hate everyone. But yeah, theres the odd idiot that does my head in, doesn't particularly think much of the Scots, really want us gone. "They get all our money, they whine to much." It's gotten worse since the calls for independence started up again.

Football hooligans are something else. Sadly have the Scottish brand of them, alongside some sectarianism. Take Glasgow - Celtic is a Catholic team, Rangers protestant. Have the two teams play each other and all hell can break lose. Gets violent at times. No where near as bad as NI, but not so great either. Lot of people in denial there just how bad the problem is, the sectarianism is almost normalized. Not sure why they cant just enjoy a football game to be honest. Suspect they're not so interested in the football part, just want a fight.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.