Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CuriousCurious
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Do Zoom calls make you more anxious

I'm a camera shy type of person especially on video. We are REQUIRED to have our cameras on for the whole class, so we can't keep it off... and i even have one class that is 3 hours long, and the professor requires us to even leave the camera on for the WHOLE 3 hours. i feel so exposed on camera, and i feel very awkward communicating like this as well, with my face on the screen the whole time, and i'm anxious about just talking. anyone else feel the same way as I thought it would be easier than IRL.

Lunaire's Avatar Consumer of Coffee
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    AmusedAmused
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Can definitely relate with this. I’m not in school but have to join conference calls at work regularly where we’re expected to have a webcam on the whole time.

Something that made this a bit more tolerable for me was finding a neat background to display behind me.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Yeah, I hate them, there's a few large calls at work that it's expected that I have my camera on. Makes me feel very self-conscious.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Always hated video chats. Even back years ago a friend on the net would ask to skype. I didn't mind just talking. Hated when they wanted to video chat. think with just talking, we can kick back, relax in any way we want. Is much better.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    My only experience with this is with online psych appointments. Fortunately, it was with a psych whom I have been seeing for many years. Even so.... I did have a few bouts of feeling extremely self-conscious during the calls.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Never actually used xoom. All these latest things are foreign to me. Guess I have been around the net that long that the newer things mean nothing to me. Somebody asked me to zoom, I would probably ask to zoom in on what and why.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Sometimes it's not about what's true but what feels true.

Zoom with a camera feels invasive and intimate. It puts your picture on top for you which tricks your mind into thinking everyone sees you when no one is paying attention at all. If you can't get the background eraser to work, people see a small part of your room which is the most intimate and private part of your house. Even when my friends come over, no one actually goes into MY room with my computer but in inviting my professors and all these other strangers in.

In truth, I think people notice you less on Zoom than in class because there are less one on one interactions. In break out groups I am still juggling reading my notes, thinking about the questions/answers, and my own video to really truly concentrate on someone else's video.

My point is your feelings are valid because the system is engineered to make you feel seen and noticed (even if you don't want to be) and you can address them because the truth might not match the story your brain is telling you. And also there are 100% legitimate concerns with effectively inviting strangers into your house through the camera.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)
    I'm on Zoom all day at work, so I've gotten used to it. Whenever I can, I minimize the window so that I don't have to see my own video, though, and that way I can almost forget I'm camera.
    It is the light she longs to find,
    When she delights in learning more.
    Her world is learning; it defines
    The destiny she?s reaching for

- Marie Curie

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    zoom calls cause me anxiety because i dislike cameras in general. But I do like that im not physically there.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I have to do zoom calls I put my hair over my face and look down a little so that people can't see me as much.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Yes Zoom calls make me very nervous. I have one for work scheduled for next week so I'm not looking forward to that.
    I have heard a few people say it gets easier the more you do it.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    I dislike video chats but me refusing to use Zoom for anything means that I have a video chat maybe once every few months (family birthdays, an occasional friend). Ironically, I was on a mindfulness course designed to help with anxiety & depression that had to be conducted over video. It did feel very awkward at first but got better as I got used to the people in my group.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Gosh, that's some hardcore exposure. My first zoom meeting was actually because of covid, so I get your anxiety. It did get better over time. Not your experience?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CuriousCurious
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote rabidfoxes View Post
    I dislike video chats but me refusing to use Zoom for anything means that I have a video chat maybe once every few months (family birthdays, an occasional friend). Ironically, I was on a mindfulness course designed to help with anxiety & depression that had to be conducted over video. It did feel very awkward at first but got better as I got used to the people in my group.
    Private therapy and doctor appointments are better through video for me but class were I feel like everyone is looking at me feels much different.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Yes, I really feel for the students who got switched to online learning that way. It doesn't sound like much fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.