Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I guess he thinks it's WINcest.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    It used to be a thing back in Victorian times and maybe even after were a person would marry a distant cousin. Arranged marriage. If you wanted to do the same thing today, the Pope has to approve it. That is if you are a Catholic. In other words it can be done and it is not a crime. I would draw the line somewhere. Has to be some cut off point as to who you can marry that you are related to. But there are ways of going about it from what I know. You tell your local priest what you want to do. He then writes to the Vatican. This has happened a number of times. Pope writes back giving his blessing. The couple can then marry. Now I am not saying you must write to the Pope. I think that part is if you are a church going catholic. You want to continue going to church. Your faith means a lot to you. Much like if your husband / wife dies and you hook up with another person. You can go to mass / church. But when it comes to communion time, you are not allowed you go up for the bread. Again people who are really into their religion would stick by the rules of the church. In a sense they are simply been honest. Who is to know you have hooked up with anybody else? You could still go up at communion time. Nobody would be any the wiser. All church rules. Want to marry a cousin legally in the eyes of the church? Can be done. i don't think it is breaking any laws by way of the police. That would only really count if was a family member. Brother and sister. Which would be my cut off point. think the fear always there is that any kids from such a relationship would have something wrong with them. No idea how true this is. Some thing to do with the exact same genes mixing.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Its is nuts - the ban I believe is due to the higher risk of genetic disorders, some of which are quote serious. Families have similar genes, the liklihood therefore of the offspring inheriting 2 recessive genes that cause a genetic disorder is larger. Misshapen skulls, fused limbs for example.

Royal families used to do it here. Back in Victorian times we had quite a few members of ours marrying each other. Lot of European royals did that. Hemophilia was the result - basically the blood doesnt clot, getting a nosebleed can therefore be fatal.

It is very frustrating seeing the "it is the same as the ban on same-sex relationships." Always seems to be the go to. It isnt. We harm no-one, there isnt that same genetic risk. Isnt the same problematic power dynamic you seen between parent and child relationships.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Just think about a person marrying his sister-in-law. Something happens to his brother. No laws to stop such a marriage. Is only a sister-in-law. How odd would it be that your Nephews and Nieces become your step sons and daughters. How would they even explain that? He was my uncle, then he married my mother and now he is my step father.

In a lot of countries the laws still used are the ancient laws. They have never been changed. From what I know you could still marry a cousin. I know it only by Church law here in Ireland. The whole writing to the Pope thing. That would be for over the top Catholics. So they can still attend mass and accept the bread at communion time. Dates back centuries. Were the Church would have shunned you. Local community too. Had you not done it the right way. Do know a person who married a relative. That would have happened in the 1970's. Something my mother once explained to me. That these two had been cousins before they got married. Assuming it is still legal on that level.

Lot of historical laws still in place here in Ireland. People use them and only then are they looked at. Then the law might be changed. Was a crime to be gay here up until the late 80's and maybe even into the 90's. The law was never changed. Nobody was ever taken to court using that law. But by that law you could end up in jail for been gay. Finally they done away with it.

You become a free person of Dublin city. Like a Lord Mayor would bestow upon you, you can still walk your sheep to a green area and have them graze on the grass. This was done as a laugh by U2 when they were given the freedom of the city.

Lot of ancient laws still there. Never changed.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

CeCe's Avatar Diamond Girl
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HappyHappy
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Ew, no.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Cuchculan View Post
    Lot of historical laws still in place here in Ireland. People use them and only then are they looked at. Then the law might be changed. Was a crime to be gay here up until the late 80's and maybe even into the 90's. The law was never changed. Nobody was ever taken to court using that law. But by that law you could end up in jail for been gay. Finally they done away with it.
    We have a few amusing ones here. London Taxis have to carry a bail of hay with them. This is from the days when taxis where horse pulled carriages. The idea was that they always needed to have hay availibille to feed the horses with. They're cars now. But still have to carry hay with them.

Apparently it is legal in some places. WTF.

I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    So in Ireland you can have gay sex with a family member? Just looking at your map. But you can't have sex with your sister. That might be a slip up in rules since the whole same sex marriage thing. A loophole so to speak. Never knew that one before.

Always hear the old saying ' kissing cousins '. Heck I am too friendly with my own cousins to see them as anything other than cousins. In much the same way I have female friends I could only ever see in a friends kind of way.

If I was a guessing person I would imagine it would go on a lot more with younger cousins or even family members. You know the age. They are starting to become sexually away. Might fool around together. Hence one country made it legal for minors. I would imagine that is the age it would happen at if it was to happen.

I have 2 brothers only. Going to phone one up and tell him it is legal if I had sex with him. LOL. That would be a strange call to say the least.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Yeah, that one and it's due to one of those ancient laws where they assumed any relationship would be between a man and women. They havent updated it.

Similar story with the Greek WTF by the sounds of it. Assumptions being made.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    It was about "bloodlines" and "keeping it in the family".....but it also brought out mutant genes.

Variety is the spice of life, people. The whole idea is just gross.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Game Of Thrones did base itself on history. (Sort of - obviously no dragons or white walkers). The Targaryens inbreeding to keep there blood pure had some basis in fact.

Inbreeding never gave any of the royals the ability to walk in fire though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Think we have all seen those movies were they inbreed. Wrong turn and similar films. Hilbillies. Like to feed on humans and do all sorts of strange things. So it has been used in that sense too. That the children of these people are all deformed. Those films were just so wrong.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    it’s ok to love your family just don’t LOVE your family IMO !!!

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.