Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    @Ironman what does JOEjanHorse actually mean? Seen you call him that a few times, but IDK, don't really follow your politics so much beyond the big news that comes out. I mean biggeset news on Biden today here is that he farted in front of one of our royals.

They are not mandating number 3 here, but rumours that they will just deactivate the travel pass if you are offered but refused, so you can't go on holiday and not isolate on return anymore.

Did get offered number 3 at the end of the month. Will probably be Pfizer.
    JOEjanHorse is taken from the epic Trojan Horse story. Our Democratic Party shoved a gift horse (Joe Biden) to the American people - making him look like he was all proper and going to make our country happy, but unleash a ton of incompetent and nefarious people to do harm to the people of the United States.

Well, in the Trojan Horse story, they sent a "gift horse" to their enemies who thought it was a legitimate horse gift. Little did they know that as they slept, the enemy had hidden themselves in the horse the whole time and came out and attacked the people the next morning.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Quote rabidfoxes View Post
    Had my 2nd dose of Moderna in July. Not that keen on the next booster as the side effects were rough after the last one but will handle it when/if it comes.
    Same.

And I wonder about quite a few experts saying it's more important to get the rest of the world vaccinated than for most people in affluent countries to get a booster. Won't it be mutation galore until we get to that point? Seems like an illogic allocation of resources. I'll take the booster if I get the offer though. My country seems to be quite late with it. Won't be any time soon for me, which I'm not concerned about.
    The best book I read about trauma since '97 is Pete Walker's Complex PTSD: From Surviving To Thriving

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    They held off here with the boosters because of the "should we be giving out 3rd doses when some of the world has not had 1 yet" concern, but now seem to have gone for the boosters here.
    @TuanJie Hope you're staying safe over there? Hearing about riots in parts of NL here over the covid restrictions.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    @Otherside
    Thanks for caring! I'm safe. Just came back from Portugal a week ago and didn't see this coming. A lot is brooding, but it's only a small fraction of the population which hijacks other people's COVID protests to go riot. The level of violence some are displaying is shocking. Half of them isn't even 18. The police shot some people in the leg because they were under attack themselves. Something like that very rarely happens over here. There has been a riot in my town too, longer ago. It was scary, but it wasn't close to where I live. I don't get the impression everything is falling apart, even though the situation is volatile and erupts from time to time.

I haven't followed the news the last month. How's the food supply in the UK at the moment?
    The best book I read about trauma since '97 is Pete Walker's Complex PTSD: From Surviving To Thriving

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    @TuanJie Glad you're doing okay. Not good that the police have had to shoot though. Is always the case - a few people hijack a peaceful protest.

Worries me that if the restrictions come back in here there will be riots like that here. People here are tired of the lockdowns, feel they've done there part, and theres quite a few who cant afford another load of restrictions. Means not getting paid for a few people, means there business will struggle to stay afloat, particularly with an energy crisis meaning the cost of electric and gas is now at an all time high and inflation being what it is.

Food shortages? Not to bad at the moment, never was particularly bad where I live, only thing I really saw a shortage of here was Spring Onions - but seem to have resolved itself. Cost of food has shot up though. It's there, but it will just cost you a lot more. About 5% more on each item, all adding up. Was a petrol shortage a while back
    That one was partially self inflicted though, petrol giants said there would be shortages because they wanted HGV Visas, and off everyone ran to the petrol stations with twenty Jerry Cans "just in case." System really isnt designed for people filling up Jerry cans. Station near me had to put a ?30 maximum purchase limit on.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    @Otherside
    It's a scary time. Such a volatile mixture, also combined with the aftermath of Brexit and polarisation. It puts some in impossible positions, no doubt.
    So you're in a relatively good place, food wise? That's significant. 5% more on each item adds up though, indeed. Over here, there seems to be no end to government support for various groups. They have been keeping businesses afloat, for instance. Is it more of an each man for himself situation in the UK?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    @TuanJie

Everything that could have gone wrong seems to have all gone wrong at the same time, throw Brexit and covid pressures into the mix...prices go up.

I am fine for good and power, lot more people that wont be this year. "Heat or Eat" (do you eat or turn on the heating) was a thing here to begin with, will get worse this year. Temperatures are starting to hit freezing here, is predicted to get a lot colder soon. There will be a lot more people freezing to death this year

There was support throughout the lockdowns. that is shutting off now though, there was a lot of holes in the support that meant you may not have been eligable. .
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    @Otherside
    I'd never thought I'd say this to anybody from the UK, but good to hear you've got food and power covered! More people will get into trouble with the cold if it comes, here too. Hope we'll have one of those winterless winters I'd gotten used to in recent years.

Had swapped showering for washing 6 weeks ago or so, as a means of preparing for my trip. Seems like the perfect timing to keep that going. Cuts a lot off of the energy bill. Stopped heating the house a few years ago. Can do so because I'm in the middle of a well insulated apartment complex. My neighbors pay for my heating without knowing. Ventilate the house every morning. The coldest it has ever gotten here with this regime was about 12C, while it was -15C outside. I'm a lucky bastard.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    I feel so bad for those of u in colder climates I hate the snow the only 1 good thing I can say about California is the coldest it gets here is about 35F idk what that is in C

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    @TuanJie
    Yeah, I have a similar setup. Neighbours mostly keep my apartment heated. One good thing about living in a new build is that it is well insualted.. Have had mine on a bit this week mind.

Have lived in a cold house during the winter (not that I couldn't afford it, housemate several years back just refused to turn on the heating at all and for some stupid reason, flung open every single window to "prevent condensation", even during snow, still don't understand his logic). Can be nasty to both your physical and mental health living in the cold.
    @CloudMaker
    Not to bad at the moment here, hitting 32F at nights. Rumours of 10F coming in December. Would love to live in the California temperatures.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Quote CloudMaker View Post
    ...the coldest it gets here is about 35F idk what that is in C
    1.7C Been using a website to bridge the metric gap and make myself more understandable and vice versa: https://www.unitconverters.net/tempe...converter.html

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    @Otherside
    High five! Poor neighbors we have... There are limits to where I'm willing to take this too. Health is numero uno for me. Currently 66F indoors here, while approaching freezing at night outside. My heating only kicks in if temps drop below 55.4 F, which only happened once, when it was around 5F outside for two weeks. Been going like this for a couple of years and I must say it's kinda nice to sync with the seasons within a reasonable bandwidth. Gets too hot to my taste in summer. Makes it a lot harder to sleep.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    @TuanJie
    Oh I know what you mean about the summer. Was like I was living in a sauna this August. Too hot to sleep. Don't really do aircon in homes in the UK.
    My flat is at a comfortable 21C/66F at the moment. Heating off. Shouldn't be to cold here tonight, 1c/33. I just turn mine on and off as needed.
    "Artic storm" supposedly hitting UK this weekend mind. Rumours of snow. You can place bets here on whether or not there will snow on christmas day and apparently, according to the gambling companies, it is more likely and they have slashed the odds.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    @Otherside
    Oh waw, you've taken the art of free heating to another level Arctic storm isn't looking good. Have managed those well before with this setup? To go a bit more on topic, how's the vaccination rate over there? I'm not up to date anymore. It's 84% here, if I'm not mistaken. 8% is definitely not going to get vaccinated, the other 8% still may or might. Government seems to get quite desperate with dramatically rising hospitalizations atm. Tomorrow we'll get a new press conference. I expect either a lockdown or at least stricter rules. More riots starting that evening seems what can be expected. The first rioters in the last ones have gotten a sentence already. The defense is becoming disgusting to read about, if you consider the level of violence and the impact on society on first responders. Stuff like: "I'm very sorry, I got carried away. I came to watch and only threw one stone when things got out of hand. I couldn't go anywhere anymore".

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    @TuanJie
    Will have to see how the flat performs. Article storm - haven't had one in a while, don't think.

Vaccine rate is mostly good. Mostly trust them here, mostly went and got them. Were slow off the mark starting the boosters mind. Is ramping up now though. Got mine booked for this weekend. Probably the only thing they actually managed to do well here was the vaccinations. Don't really have vaccine passports in England though
    Not restricted from doing anything if you dont have it - except you wont be able to enter the UK and avoid a quarantine of 10 days if you are not vaccinated. Unofficially, they were worried about the uptak in the 80+ group. Then they finally clocked that it was low because they sent out reminders via text message and asked them to book online. Least in my area that was the case, was what I heard from a friend of mine working in that area.

They are saying they will not do another lockdown. Cases have been higher than European average for a while, same with deaths/hospitalizations. But have been stable, havent been overwhelming the hospitals at the moment. Will see if it stays like that. Are being told this year that Christmas will not be cancelled like last year (they locked us down a few days before Christmas last year.)

I agree, some of the stuff I've seen from the riots over there is horrendous. Attacking first responders...yeah, not good. Sure peer pressure and there age played a part. But no excuse.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.