Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

The Vidya Thread - Video Game General Discussion

A thread for general video game discussion - new releases, memories, general thoughts....

I've started this because I felt like I was hijacking the "Absolutely Pointless Thread" and giving it a point, which just shouldn't be!

Even if this dies in the backside at the end of this particular convo, I'm good with that, but I do enjoy a good vidya chat. I've got nearly 40 years experience playing and carry with me all the memories (active or buried somewhere in my mental wreckage) and dangerously flawed opinions that come with that.

Quote Cuchculan View Post
    Looking at the names of the more modern games, is great to try out the original versions. Bad as the graphics were. GTA games. Still have not copped how to rob a car in the very first version of that game. i stand in front of the car. It stops. I have pressed everything. Even blew myself up a number of times. LOL You also had Assassin Creed games back that far. One actually involved Batman. Nothing special. Like most other games back them. You walked along a street and you killed people. That about sums up 90% of the games from back then. Had you sports games too. All the wrestling games. Even had a Hulk Hogan version of streets of rage.
    Wait, there was a Hulk Hogan version of Streets of Rage?

I liked the SoR series. In fact, pretty much all those old side scrolling beat 'em ups were fun.... I'm thinking the old Simpsons and Ninja Turtles arcade games, Final Fight, Golden Axe, Double Dragon.... They were really good for local multiplayer, back in the days before they tried to push everything online, which I've never been a fan of.

I played the original GTA once back when you could actually download the game free on the Rockstar website (this was about a decade ago, I think). Didn't really click with and I don't remember what happened to it, tbh. Might have been lost to a laptop that died?

I liked a few of the Assassin's Creed games. My partner has most of them... maybe missing one or two? I really enjoyed Odyssey, though I have to say, rather than capturing a feeling like the Odyssey, it felt more like playing a movie of Xena, Warrior Princess or the 70s Wonder Woman. It was fun, very pretty and well enough written to keep you involved. I liked 2 quite a lot as well. I only played that fairly recently and it held up really well. Black Flag was fun for the pirate bits, but I feel almost like it would've been a better game if they didn't have the Assassin stuff it. Would've made a good pirate game, I think.

I think part of the reason I was more into sports games growing up was that you DIDN'T have to just kill stuff constantly. They tried to target the platform games towards girls, but I was never that much a fan of platformers. Found them very frustrating for the most part. Particularly when you got to the PS generation with the early attempts at 3D, depth perception was not great... that was something they fixed up majorly by the time PS2 came around. In all, it was my brother who was actually really good at them!

I do remember playing a wrestling game back then that I enjoyed. I think it was "Here Comes the Pain". It had that fellow with no neck on the cover, the one who tried out for the Minnesota Vikings.... Brock Lesnar, I think.... anyway I hired that one out on a whim and was surprised at how enjoyable it was! Older wrestling games that I'd played were a bit dull, but that one was actually really good. I say this as someone who has never been into pro-wrestling..... my only contact with it has come via various boys + men who've drifted through my life.

if you wanted to think, microsoft had a few good mind bending games. Mostly involved jewels and patterns. Had to make the pattern you saw in the corner of the screen. Problem was, when you turned a tile, 3 other connecting tiles would also turn. Really made you think. Think there was two microsoft pack of games. One lot were great. The other lot were very bad.
    I think the only jewel type game I remember playing was Columns. One night, I maxed out the score so it was all nines (or was it the level, I can't remember). It was insane. I'd never had a run like it. I had to pause it to go to the bathroom, have dinner, etc.... I don't remember how long I was going for. I think in the end I actually just let the game beat me because I was on such an run that I felt like I was never going to lose. By then end, I just wanted to go to bed.

Every film and TV series almost had a game. Dirty Harry. Die Hard. Both were the same with different main characters. Nightmare on Elm street. Lucky if you actually meet Freedy in that game. More jumping over things. About sums the whole game up. Star wars and all the spin offs. Star Trek and all the spin offs too. Platform type games.
    Yes, I remember that period well. Soooooo many of the licenced games were half-baked, shovelware garbage with a cool property slapped on them. There were definitely exceptions, but some of them were so bad (ALF on the Master System comes to mind, as well as the market-crashingly bad, ET on Atari) it beggared belief. One exception to that was generally Disney games, especially in the Mega Drive/Genesis era. They actually made platformers I liked, which showed how good the games were!

Star Wars and Star Trek.... Not much of a fan of either. I LOVE the idea of sci-fi, but I never really liked them. Maybe I still resent Star Wars because my brother was obsessed with it and watched it to the point where I wanted to stuff his Chewbacca plushie down his throat.

There was a Star Wars strategy game that I liked on PC, I think it was called Rebellion. That was the first big strategy game I ever played. Liked that one despite it being Star Wars themed. don't recall enjoying any Star Trek games though.... I actually didn't mind Stargate on MD. I wasn't really that into the movie or series at the time, but the game was pretty cool. I ended up quite enjoying the series when my current g/f showed me some of it a few years ago.... It was cool. Finally, a sci-fi series I liked! I mean, I didn't even like the locally-made Farscape and one of my exs actually worked on that show!

As far sci-fi games, I don't think anything eclipses the Mass Effect series for me, at least the original trilogy.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm not going to reply line by line but yes yes yes lol.All good stuff!Had a blast way back when with Golden Axe and Double Dragon. Lots of good times with the GTA series.I like the story half more than the online half.I did have a blast online playing with good friends though.Mass Effect and the Dragon Age series are pretty much the gold standard when it comes to stories imo.

I'm really looking forward to Elden Ring releasing next month.

Game on!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)

Above we have streets of rage with Hulk Hogan. Not the only game to have wrestling stars in it. I think another one of the games you came across Andre the giant when you reached a certain level. Had to get by him to advance. Might run into him a lot of times.

I know we mentioned Road Rash. Do you know people tried to stop that game been released. Why? The LA riots had just happened. In the US. Here was a game were you could beat up a copper on a motorbike. That was their main / only point for wanting the game pulled.

As for FIFA games. 97 was a good game. They had brought in the golden goal in football. Something that did not last long because it was a crap idea. 97 has the golden goal in it. Draw after normal time, went into extra time. In a nutshell the first team to score won the game. They done away with it within a year in football. Back to the old format of 30 minutes of extra time.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Lucid View Post
    I'm not going to reply line by line but yes yes yes lol.All good stuff!Had a blast way back when with Golden Axe and Double Dragon. Lots of good times with the GTA series.I like the story half more than the online half.I did have a blast online playing with good friends though.Mass Effect and the Dragon Age series are pretty much the gold standard when it comes to stories imo.

I'm really looking forward to Elden Ring releasing next month.

Game on!
    I think a lot of those old side scrollers link heavily to my childhood with my brother. We had a lot of good times together, particularly during school holidays with that stuff. It can be a little bittersweet because we're not so close anymore, but I guess that's just the way life goes, especially these days. There was never any drama, I think life just took us in different directions. He lives a very normal life and is doing well, while mine is a bizarre trainwreck. I don't envy or resent him though, he's a great guy who deserves all the best in life.

I think a big part of why I couldn't get into the online component of GTA:V is that there's just too many trolls. I think within the first 30 seconds of trying GTA Online, I had some guy following me, trying to blow me up in some way that clearly wasn't anything to do with how Rockstar made the game. I mean, it actually succeeded in killing me one time, despite the fact that I was in passive mode. It was not a good first impression. I ended up cruising around, doing a few races, but ultimately, I just found there wasn't enough to do, especially given that I was too anxious to interact with anyone anyway.

Although I found the game to be less funny than some of the older games (The satire was a bit too heavy-handed and lacking in wit, and the puerile side of it is just getting a bit old.... or maybe I'M just getting old. ), I think GTA:V probably had the most engaging story the series has had so far. IV got a little too dark and edgy.... the city felt drab. I don't know, that one bounced off me for some reason. For III-VC-SA (you can also group VCS and LCS into this too).... the stories were good enough to have an excuse for the gameplay, but not much more, which was, frankly, just fine for my purposes.

YES! I enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins, never played the others as I heard they were kinda bad, but I can definitely vouch for the first one. I really should give that another playthrough someday soon. I liked the backstory system for that. It really made the three separate playthroughs I did feel very different - helped you get in the mindset for the role play.

Just noticing all these things with Claudia Black in them in this thread. I always enjoy her even if whatever she's in is bad. Just in this thread, she's in Dragon Age: Origins (Morrigan), Mass Effect series (One of the Quarian councillors), Stargate (Vala) and Farscape (Aeryn). If nothing else, I just kinda wish I had her speaking voice.

I've seen Elden Ring get mentioned a bit, but I have no idea what it is. Looks like some kind of cross between Dark Souls and Skyrim? I never tried Dark Souls because I heard it was pretty much just boss fights, which are pretty much my least favourite convention in video games. Skyrim on the other hand was loads of fun, modded and unmodded.

As for what I am looking forward to most.... It's gotta be Starfield. It's still a long way off, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intensely curious about that one.

Above we have streets of rage with Hulk Hogan. Not the only game to have wrestling stars in it. I think another one of the games you came across Andre the giant when you reached a certain level. Had to get by him to advance. Might run into him a lot of times.

I know we mentioned Road Rash. Do you know people tried to stop that game been released. Why? The LA riots had just happened. In the US. Here was a game were you could beat up a copper on a motorbike. That was their main / only point for wanting the game pulled.

As for FIFA games. 97 was a good game. They had brought in the golden goal in football. Something that did not last long because it was a crap idea. 97 has the golden goal in it. Draw after normal time, went into extra time. In a nutshell the first team to score won the game. They done away with it within a year in football. Back to the old format of 30 minutes of extra time.
    There will be moral puritans of many different stripes who will try to stop things getting released, try to get things banned or altered in order to fit snugly with their world view and who seem to love complaining like overgrown children about petty crap forever, it seems. Their reasoning and political alliances change over the years, but they're the same self-righteous, overbearing twits at heart, even if they hate one another. Reminds me of the "Pointing Spidermen" meme. That's all I'll say on that - for further discussion on the matter, there's a political board on here that I refuse to partake in.

Which version of '97 did you play that was good? I've tried a few versions of it and they tended to be horribly broken.... like the gameplay just didn't work properly on several versions.... EA improved that MASSIVELY on '98. I think they, perhaps, had not been able to adapt the controls properly while changing from the 2D isometric they'd previously used to the 3D approach, maybe?

Yes, I loathed golden goal..... Still better than a penalty shoot-out. Shoot-outs are shameful way to decide anything in my opinion.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.