Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Inflation

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote CloudMaker View Post
    Jebus!! I don’t even know what a VAT is but every time I hear about it sounds like an excuse for European governments to tax everything to high heaven!!
    Sales tax.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Valued added tax. They make that sound like we are actually getting value from their goods. Every bill would have VAT on it. Depending on how much extra they want to charge. Is nobody to say to them ' this is how much the VAT should be '. Which is what I think we need. Somebody to step in and freeze what extra they can charge for a certain period of time. In other words ' no more prices hikes or extra VAT for at least 5 years '. The government done this with rent prices after landlords began ripping everybody off. So they can do it if they want to. But if the government done that, they might be asked about the VAT they add onto smokes and alcohol. That is bloody high too and every cent of it goes straight to the government. Which makes living and visiting Ireland very costly.

Dublin named most expensive place to visit in Europe.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/lifestyle/...8HM-YMU382NThY
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Sales tax is already 7% SO.........

$1 = $1.07 normally........but 8.5% inflation, rounded up is $.09 on top of the base item.

What was $1.00 before inflation is now $1.09 with inflation.

That extra nine cents ONE CENT additional sales tax!

So the total tax on the $1.09 item is now EIGHT cents. You are now paying $1.17 for something that was $1.07.

And our JOEjanHorse said passing the Build Back Bankrupt bill wouldn't cost us anything?! A 33% approval rating (26% among Hispanics due to his border doormat policy) still seems a bit high.

@Cuchculan - all that city sightseeing stuff doesn't even take into account all of the things that have to be done to even get there. The vaccines, the passport, plane fuel prices, the food. I shudder to think how much it would cost to fly there from here in the States. My route would probably be Cincinnati to Atlanta to Dublin lol. I have only been on one flight in my entire life and it was in 2003!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Many Americans come here every year. You know the type. Typical ' we have Irish ancestors '. No matter the cost or the weather, they still arrive.

Is a few whispers starting to take hold about our government having talks with these companies about the amount of VAT they charge people. Is just greed. Might be a catch 22 situation as the government adds on the tax on smokes and alcohol which is just as high. If they are going to even suggest to others that they lower their VAT, they might be asked to do the exact same thing. Our government make a small fortune out of alcohol and smokes every year. Be gobsmacked at the cost of a pint here in Dublin. Personally I don't drink. Price can vary from pub to pub. Can go up as high as about 15 Euro. For a smoker? About the same price for a pack of 20 smokes. Had a friend who used to take in foreign students. It worked out cheaper for them to have their parents send smokes to them from the likes of France, than it would to buy them here in Dublin. One girl was telling me, were she lived in France, she could get 20 smokes for 1 Euro. Might cost her family about 5 Euro to send her 200 smokes. Think of how much money that would have saved her. So all these foreign students we might get in Ireland are not actually spending much money in Ireland. All having things sent to them from back home. Makes sense.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Feels a lot higher. I paid C$8 for a 300ml bottle of rubbing alcohol and C$1.90 per pack of ramen today, before taxes... it must have been almost half the price just a year or two ago.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Heelsbythebridge View Post
    Feels a lot higher. I paid C$8 for a 300ml bottle of rubbing alcohol and C$1.90 per pack of ramen today, before taxes... it must have been almost half the price just a year or two ago.
    It is higher - it depends on the product. A can of Campbell's Soup (the condensed can) is at a record high $1.89. It was $1.50 when our JOEjanHorse took office in January 2021.

Some products have jumped 20% 30% and more!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    You do know this is happening all around the world? So the whole world can't blame Biden.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Cuchculan View Post
    You do know this is happening all around the world? So the whole world can't blame Biden.
    To varying degrees, but it's bad here. The Corona brought a lot of demons from under their rocks. They're not doing anything to help.

Our Afghanistan mess triggered more than anyone will ever know.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    I can afford to soak up the price increase but it's chilling to think what it will do to people who are already living hand to mouth. A few days ago I was shopping for groceries and noted how food banks are a permanent fixture now. Only a few years ago food bank boxes were something supermarkets did around Christmas. Now they're there permanently and chemist's installed one of their own for hygiene items. Once the energy prices bite in autumn...I can't imagine.

You may have heard this before, but it's a good time to 1) make sure you submit monthly meter readings and not rely on energy company estimates; 2) either stop direct debits and choose a different way to pay or, if you get a discount for paying by DD, check if you have credit to claim back from the company. Energy companies are trying to protect against potential future nonpayment and simultaneously to inflate their balance sheet by charging direct debits that are too high. Many are getting away with it.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote rabidfoxes View Post
    I can afford to soak up the price increase but it's chilling to think what it will do to people who are already living hand to mouth. A few days ago I was shopping for groceries and noted how food banks are a permanent fixture now. Only a few years ago food bank boxes were something supermarkets did around Christmas. Now they're there permanently and chemist's installed one of their own for hygiene items. Once the energy prices bite in autumn...I can't imagine.

You may have heard this before, but it's a good time to 1) make sure you submit monthly meter readings and not rely on energy company estimates; 2) either stop direct debits and choose a different way to pay or, if you get a discount for paying by DD, check if you have credit to claim back from the company. Energy companies are trying to protect against potential future nonpayment and simultaneously to inflate their balance sheet by charging direct debits that are too high. Many are getting away with it.
    My meters are automated now - water was changed in 2009 and my electricity in 2015....<- but breaking news this week......

I had to have a 25-year old water heater replaced in my 43 year old house. $3,700 with parts and labor - no doubt inflation nailed me there, but that's not the half of it!

When we started up the heater, my circuit breaker box starting buzzing, and in the four hour process of trying to heat up the 80 gallons of water (which a tank that size is now harder to find, thanks to Obama's phase out!), the circuit break tripped THREE separate times. After the third trip, I assumed that the water had been heated enough to not not need so much electricity - nevertheless, I was advised to call an electrician who came out on Friday.

The electrician came out and took one look at my power box - he said that the brand name wasn't all that great (it was 1979!) and that my panel was supposed to last 25 to 40 years and then there is danger of grease/lubrication drying out and causing problems in the grid. Here is where things get scary.

To get the electric meter to be automated, I was told that I needed to have the mine core wire replaced from the meter itself, through my basement wall, and down into the box. I put this off for three years because I knew that men would have come in my house and I would be charged for it. I finally caved in December 2015 and had it done. They replaced the wiring and added ground wires.

Fast forward to May 2022 and the electrician told me that that line they replaced (150 Amp?) was not powerful/large enough to handle my house electricity (200 Amp?). THis caused him great concern, so he asked me to show him the meter (which was actually replaced again in 2020 due to the 2015 one getting hazy in the sun). He opened the meter and about went into shock. The wiring from the meter down into the core wire had been slowly melting the insulation around it. There were neutral wires nearby that are NOT supposed to touch. If they do - explosion and electrical fire. He told me that it would have been about 7 to 10 days before they could get to me, but he made me first priority due to the severity.
    All of this would have been done on Friday, but the energy company who authorized the core wire changed would have sent somebody out to shut off my power in the afternoon - and likely would not have come back until Monday morning way after everything was fixed!

Here is where it gets even more interesting. The guy loosely put the box over the meter to protect against the rainfall I had that day. THere is a 60Amp switch my box that helps power my 2016 furnace......that has been backordered since March 2021 due to the JOEjanHorse's (Joe Biden) economy and BootyJudge's (Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg) incompetence with the supply chain. The electrician said that his coworkers have been hoarding what was left of the 60Amp switches because they were always nearly out - and he had been asking EVERY MONTH if any 60Amp switches came in. Well, it just so happened that the day before I called, they received a shipment - he had me on the list to get one due to the severity of my issues.

Then......in the MAIL, I receive a magazine of coupons form various companies in my area.....lo and behold, one page was for the electricians I called and had a $500 discount on electrical panel upgrades. It's still going to cost me $3,800 but I have my savings and am using my credit card and then paying it off.

Timing was good, but the sutuation we are in with inflation make it all worse.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    @Ironman I do not trust those smart meter things. They keel trying to give me one and I just ignore them. Number of horror stories here of them going wrong here and charging people millions. And now the big companies want to introduce surge pricing. So if you use the power when a lot of other people are, you pay a lot more. Screw that.
    @rabidfoxes Yeah, I hear you. I can afford it but its horrifying seeing the increases. I usually buy the asda smartprice range (just don't see the point on spending more) and even that I'm seeing rises.

Food banks starting to become a permanent feature throughout the tenties after we started making headway eradicating child poverty. Whatever happened during tenties to change that, I wonder. /s

They got a kicking on Thursday so maybe the kicking will focus some minds that they are just not doing enough (though they are denying it's a kicking? LoL. Wonder what they wpuld call a disaster.) Maybe that will focus some minds that they need to be doing something. Hopefully. Probably naive of me.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    @Otherside - I actually monitor the billing and the meter itself. The water actually worries me more because they round up. 4,100 gallons would count as 5,000 gallons.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    0F4756D6-BFCC-498D-81B1-4EAEF49D16A5.jpeg
    Saw this photo today and got sad
    IDK
    I used to be able to afford to eat out several times a week
    Over the years that dropped to once a week, then a few times a month, to once a month, to once a year….and now, to never. Sad

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote CloudMaker View Post
    0F4756D6-BFCC-498D-81B1-4EAEF49D16A5.jpeg
    Saw this photo today and got sad
    IDK
    I used to be able to afford to eat out several times a week
    Over the years that dropped to once a week, then a few times a month, to once a month, to once a year….and now, to never. Sad
    That would have been in the mid-90s when I worked there. I remember the $2.99 Quarter Pounder meal.....it was actually $3.05 due to the sales tax on the carbonated drink. Minimum wage was about $5.25 at the time.

I go once a week, and that's it. The rest is all bought at the grocery.

**Gasoline has now hit an all-time record high of $4.35 - The Obomination of Desolation Part II: BIDENed over and Obamatyzed!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Just having a quick look at the prices here in Ireland. Double quarter pounder meal is 11.99 Euro.

Big Mac meal is 10. 50 Euro.

French Fries are 3.67 Euro ( Medium size ).

Let us just say everything is through the bloody roof here as far as the price goes.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.