Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Inflation

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Ironman View Post
    That would have been in the mid-90s when I worked there. I remember the $2.99 Quarter Pounder meal.....it was actually $3.05 due to the sales tax on the carbonated drink. Minimum wage was about $5.25 at the time.

I go once a week, and that's it. The rest is all bought at the grocery.

**Gasoline has now hit an all-time record high of $4.35 - The Obomination of Desolation Part II: BIDENed over and Obamatyzed!
    YES! The mid 90s!! Probably the last time I was ever truly happy. Things were so much more simple back then and affordable. We didn’t know how good we had it. Kids at my school don’t know how good things used to be and it shows. The world just made more sense when a #2 meal was 2 burgers LOL. the fries were way better too imo

Quote Cuchculan View Post
    Just having a quick look at the prices here in Ireland. Double quarter pounder meal is 11.99 Euro.

Big Mac meal is 10. 50 Euro.

French Fries are 3.67 Euro ( Medium size ).

Let us just say everything is through the bloody roof here as far as the price goes.
    OMG! I thought the point of fast food was it is supposed to be cheap… how does anybody afford that there? IDK how they stay in business

I heard of the “Big Mac index” which is supposed to be a good way to tell the health of the economy based on the price of a Big Mac or something. I found this and it’s sad

792E1330-99C9-4741-8C33-D886000DD1DB.png

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    @Ironman glad your meter situation didn't end in (the bad kind of) fireworks! I had no idea that stuff was that expensive though. Nearly 4k is a massive chunk of money.

@Otherside yes, I hope for some change too, although the latest plans sound pretty much like...nothing. I also used to have a near-encyclopedic knowledge of value brands (?0.75 'salad cheese'/'greek style cheese' aka soft cheese from Bulgaria is great) but I've read many of those products are now significantly more expensive, sometimes as much as doubling in price.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    @rabidfoxes Well, we're getting a ?250 compulsory loan not a loan klarna style electric credit in September. I'm Band C, so did get my ?150 the other day. Only for most of it to go out the next day as the council tax payment. Why they didn't just apply it to the CTax bill that would have made more sense.

Some of the value brans have shot up like mad. Others are just being shrinkflated.

Salad cheese can be hit and miss, I've found. Tesco one was alright. Others just blergh. Just cheese died white. Feta one of those protected products though. So can only be called Feta if it is made from goats milk from a specific area in Greece? (Shame Cheddar isn't protected though, Cheddar you get in some countries is not Cheddar and just some bland plastic thing).

The feta talk is really making me hungry. Would love some baked feta pasta right now.
    @Ironman My water company initially told me it was automated. But then I get letters every now and then asking for a reading. Am in a block of flats though, and have heard it is not possible. All the meters in some cupboard. I don't know if they round up or not. Water isn't to high for me though.
    @CloudMaker McDonald's costs roughly the same here. Some of those we don't have in mcdonalds in the UK.

Ireland is an expensive country to live in. Or visit. Unless you are a tech company. In which case, Ireland is a great country to be in, because you will have low corporation tax.

Have heard of the Big Mac index. Argentina for a while manipulated the price of a Big Mac to hide its inflation. What is it at the moment, 50%? Something stupidly high. There is inflation in the west. And then there is Argentina.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    @rabidfoxes Well, we're getting a ?250 compulsory loan not a loan klarna style electric credit in September. I'm Band C, so did get my ?150 the other day. Only for most of it to go out the next day as the council tax payment. Why they didn't just apply it to the CTax bill that would have made more sense.

Some of the value brans have shot up like mad. Others are just being shrinkflated.

Salad cheese can be hit and miss, I've found. Tesco one was alright. Others just blergh. Just cheese died white. Feta one of those protected products though. So can only be called Feta if it is made from goats milk from a specific area in Greece? (Shame Cheddar isn't protected though, Cheddar you get in some countries is not Cheddar and just some bland plastic thing).

The feta talk is really making me hungry. Would love some baked feta pasta right now.
    @Ironman My water company initially told me it was automated. But then I get letters every now and then asking for a reading. Am in a block of flats though, and have heard it is not possible. All the meters in some cupboard. I don't know if they round up or not. Water isn't to high for me though.
    @CloudMaker McDonald's costs roughly the same here. Some of those we don't have in mcdonalds in the UK.

Ireland is an expensive country to live in. Or visit. Unless you are a tech company. In which case, Ireland is a great country to be in, because you will have low corporation tax.

Have heard of the Big Mac index. Argentina for a while manipulated the price of a Big Mac to hide its inflation. What is it at the moment, 50%? Something stupidly high. There is inflation in the west. And then there is Argentina.
    @Otherside - they are usually pretty good at it - I can monitor the water meter in my basement, and the electricity meter (of course lol) outside. I would think there would be a bit less stress. One of my toilets' rubber flap didn't shut completely (the chain got caught) and the toilet ran for a few hours while I was away. Wasted water.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    B4F7436D-231E-464A-84F7-B7B6DA4EA18D.jpeg

gas here in California right now

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    @Otherside wait, what? I thought cheese was naturally white, seeing as it's made from milk. Then it's dyed other colours. Who dyes cheese white? WHY? This world is so bizarre sometimes.

Still waiting for the ?150. Crumbs to be sure, compared to the bill hike, but I won't say no

@CloudMaker yeah, it's going through the roof there's a part of me that's glad there will be fewer cars on the road but it's outweighed by 1) It's really about less poor people on the road, as rich people will continue driving; therefore it further widens the gap between the 'haves' and 'have nots'; 2) It's easy to be happy about fewer cars on the road in a city with a good public transport system, whereas when you go further into the country having a car is a necessity and not a luxury.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    @rabidfoxes Can be naturally different colours. Golden yellow just comes from eating a lot of grass. Red and orange isn't natural. Stilton is just mould.

Feta just has to be made from sheep's milk that comes from a specific region of Greece, I believe. Since a lot of other Balkan cultures have feta, you can get identical cheese some times. Other times, it's just cows milk cheese died white. ��

Chicken is the one I'm noticing. Was ?2.20 for 2 breast fillets pre inflationary spike. Now ?2.50. 50p punnet of mushrooms has just shrinkflated. Basic brand canned tomatoes, 28p now 30p. Basic spaghetti, 19p to 23p. Cream just shot up like mad, 95p 300ml to ?1.25.

I don't drive so I can't comment on petrol. I agree though, it's easier to be happy about it when you live in a city like London. Outside of London, you start to need a car. Ironically, the bad public transport hits those in poorer areas more. Need a car more there.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    @CloudMaker - Southwest Ohio hit its own all-time record high for the second time in a month at $4.49 this week. If I drove to work, it would cost me $18 per day to get to work....at your price, it would be about $27.50. JOEjanHorse has a real problem if people aren't going to be able to afford to even drive to work. THis exact thing was how the 2008 Recession started - people spent so much on gas and food just to live that bills and mortgages started to fail being paid and that carried over into business loss and then financial spending to bailout (which we already now cannot afford).

American GDP *contracted* at 1.4% in the first quarter. If we have another quarter like that now, that's the definition of a Recession. THe thing I don't get is - all these economists are saying that a Recession isn't going to happen until the end of the year......when I just said we could be in a defined Recession by July.

Add another round of protests and it's a cruel......cruel summer.......leaving me here on my own......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Ironman View Post
    @CloudMaker - Southwest Ohio hit its own all-time record high for the second time in a month at $4.49 this week. If I drove to work, it would cost me $18 per day to get to work....at your price, it would be about $27.50. JOEjanHorse has a real problem if people aren't going to be able to afford to even drive to work. THis exact thing was how the 2008 Recession started - people spent so much on gas and food just to live that bills and mortgages started to fail being paid and that carried over into business loss and then financial spending to bailout (which we already now cannot afford).

American GDP *contracted* at 1.4% in the first quarter. If we have another quarter like that now, that's the definition of a Recession. THe thing I don't get is - all these economists are saying that a Recession isn't going to happen until the end of the year......when I just said we could be in a defined Recession by July.

Add another round of protests and it's a cruel......cruel summer.......leaving me here on my own......
    It sounds like I need to move to Ohio! I haven’t seen $4.50 in ages
    OMG don’t even remind me of the summer “peaceful protests” that are no doubt coming up!!
    Can’t imagine how bad it will be with us entering a recession …. LETS GO BRANDON

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote CloudMaker View Post
    It sounds like I need to move to Ohio! I haven’t seen $4.50 in ages
    OMG don’t even remind me of the summer “peaceful protests” that are no doubt coming up!!
    Can’t imagine how bad it will be with us entering a recession …. LETS GO BRANDON
    Speaking words of wisdom......L G B.......F J B!!!!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    It sounds like I need to move to Ohio! I haven?t seen $4.50 in ages
    OMG don?t even remind me of the summer ?peaceful protests? that are no doubt coming up!!
    Can?t imagine how bad it will be with us entering a recession ?. LETS GO BRANDON
    Speaking words of wisdom......L G B.......F J B!!!!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    A 12 pack of Coca-Cola is now $7!! WTF!!!!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    They have sneakily shrinkflated it here. You used to get 6 for ?3. Now you get 4.

I'm also sure you used to be able to get a 2litre bottle that is now 1.75l instead.

I'm not sure which one bugs me more. Price rices, or not raising the price but giving you less.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    A 12 pack of Coca-Cola is now $7!! WTF!!!!
    At my grocery, it used to be 3 12-packs for $11 .... the last time I bought it (on sale), it was 3 for $14.

I shop by myself and it's costing $100 a week.....it used ot be $70-80.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    They have sneakily shrinkflated it here. You used to get 6 for ?3. Now you get 4.

I'm also sure you used to be able to get a 2litre bottle that is now 1.75l instead.

I'm not sure which one bugs me more. Price rices, or not raising the price but giving you less.
    Shrinkflation happens, too. Some potato chips do that. Then, there is meat.

I bought 73% beef (one pound) and it was on sale for $4! It has never been that high.
    80% 1lb was $6
    85% 1lb was $7!

I have an "as seen on TV" meat loaf pan with an insert to elevate the meat so the fat drips down lol. It'd be quite a puddle with 73% beef.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.