Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Cuchculan View Post
    Oh boy! or girl! or whoever! LOL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    I'm just surprised they haven't declared it causes cancer.

Also, is it just me or does this stuff always seem to be confidently timed to hit the news when they need a distraction from partygate/Sunaks taxes/other entirely avoidable and could have been avoided had we behaved scandal.
    Quote rabidfoxes View Post
    Love that list : ) And nope, it's not just you. Idk how much of it is deliberate diversion and how much just hunting for clicks but it is terribly convenient.
    It's really bad here in the States. It has gotten so bad that Florida passed a law forbidding teachers from teaching about sexual stuff to all kids kindergarten to third grade (5 to 9 years old). The QUILTBAG activists immediately called it the "Don't Say Gay" bill - when there is NO MENTION of "Gay" in the bill! THe goal was to protect children's innocence and not having teachers teach about sexual identity.....leaving THAT up for the parents.!

Soooo........the QUILTBAG activists had been inflitrating a big area called Disneyworld in Orlando. They protested the bill in front of Disneyworld and in Tallahassee the capital city.
    Disney has had employees putting innuendo in animated movies. A 1977 movie called "The Rescuers Down Under" created a firestorm when it was discovered in a scene that there was a topless woman in the background! Here are some examples of artwork with the hidden pictures.

As it turns out, Disney (California) had a deal with special tax perks in Florida since 1967.....Disneyworld itself opened in 1972. Florida lawmakers voted to remove the special perks and Governor Ron DeSantis signed it into law. They have to pay taxes like every other company in the state now.

The top picture is disturbing to me because my nephew (5) likes Mickey Mouse and niece (2) likes Minnie and Anna/Elsa from Frozen.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Ironman View Post
    It's really bad here in the States. It has gotten so bad that Florida passed a law forbidding teachers from teaching about sexual stuff to all kids kindergarten to third grade (5 to 9 years old). The QUILTBAG activists immediately called it the "Don't Say Gay" bill - when there is NO MENTION of "Gay" in the bill! THe goal was to protect children's innocence and not having teachers teach about sexual identity.....leaving THAT up for the parents.!
    Yeah, no it's different here. I don't know how much is cultural differences, but we don't really have that issue here. But a lot of people (left and right) try and drag American culture war issues over here like this.

Thankfully doesn't work so well. No-one really gets so outraged, much as they try it. No-one wants the culture war you have over there here. Thankfully not, America appears to be a divided country on one issue or the other, and it does not look it is going to resovle itself anytime some.

That and its fairly common knowledge that the Daily Mail is one of these newspapers that doesn't do much news reporting, pretty much famous for it, so we all just ignore anything it says. Headlines like this generate ad revenue, not always from the UK. Regular news doesn't do it for them.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Love that list : ) And nope, it's not just you. Idk how much of it is deliberate diversion and how much just hunting for clicks but it is terribly convenient.
    So, don't retire, be broke, don't have a garden and don't live in the South?

Wouldn't cope as a country without the tea, greggs and fry ups
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Too much of what they once told us was good for us, is now all bad for us. I remember the days when a doctor would tell a person to have a bottle of stout a day. ( Stout as in alcohol for anybody who has never heard of it )They considered it a tonic. Could you even imagine a doctor today telling anybody to have anything that contain alcohol? By way of a drink. Just wouldn't happen these days. They would get into trouble. One thing I did find interesting, from a friend's father, was when he visited his doctor. He was asked if he smoked. Which he did. The doctor told him never to stop smoking. As things stood it would do him more harm than good to give up smoking at his age. How many modern doctors would tell you that one? Keep smoking and have a glass of stout. With all the things they say are bad for us these days, we may as well stop living.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    @Ironman I hope that your niece and nephew are safe and okay. I'm less bothered by subliminal messaging and sex ed (although how and when it should happen is an important and complex conversation) than by stuff like Toddlers & Tiaras. Now that was shocking when I first saw it, all those dolled up children modelling bikinis and blowing lipsticked kisses at the audience : (

@Otherside oh yeah, the social order would collapse. This is totally tangential but I was blindsided by the sudden rise of Greggs to cult status. I just recall it as a non-descript high street bakery and then suddenly it's the darling of Reddit and the star of Instagram. Fancy that! On the other hand, why not?

@Cuchculan there's definitely a lot of fear mongering and it's annoying having to work out what is science-based and what is just bunkum. On the other hand, science evolves as well. There was a time when coke was widely recommended by doctors. Now we know that while red wine is good for cardiovascular health, the benefit is wiped out by the carcerogenous effect of alcohol. Might be something similar with stout.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    @rabidfoxes Yeah, Greggs suddenly shooting up in popularity was sudden. TBH I think they are a little bit overrated these days. Don't go to the chains though when i can avoid it, would rather support the smaller local cafes and businesses here, can get much better baked goods from there.

Personally, I think that is why they are going hard on "stop working from home." People aren't buying from the chains like Greggs or Costa or Pret always conveniently located by the rail stations and office blocks. Go back to the office, stop working from home, spend money in chains?
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    @rabidfoxes LOL The kidz are fine. My nephew would watch the newest series where Mickey would use clues to find things out, it is safe. What really bugged me was MINIONS! My nephews watched that and I swore I worried about his verbal development lol. I think I will watch that WHEN I have kidz of my own.

My niece watches this show called "Blippi" and it has a guy with jeans, denim shirt, and orange suspenders and bowtie. He goes around and teaches words for things he sees - like out on the farm or while painting a picture. THe words would pop up on the screen. That would have been more my speed.

Then again, at three, I would come home from preschool in the late 1970s and watch Wheel of Fortune - it taught me to read

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    They are flipping out here in Ohio with the same bill.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    @Otherside agreed. The last time I've been to Greggs was probably something like 2010. I use my nose to choose a bakery and Gregg's doesn't smell right to me. The local indie bakery does...but is eye-wateringly expensive. Oh the dilemma.

@Ironman oh yeah, I used to watch a similar show too as a kid. Although it was a few decades later so I also had stuff like Walker, Texas Ranger : D If I recall correctly, Wheel of Fortune-style shows were replaced by Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, which imho was much less fun.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Quote Cuchculan View Post
    Too much of what they once told us was good for us, is now all bad for us. I remember the days when a doctor would tell a person to have a bottle of stout a day. ( Stout as in alcohol for anybody who has never heard of it )They considered it a tonic. Could you even imagine a doctor today telling anybody to have anything that contain alcohol? By way of a drink. Just wouldn't happen these days. They would get into trouble.
    I remember when I was about 15 and I was REALLY skinny. I used to roller speed skate and the coach told my mum that stout would help build me up so drinking stout became a part of my training regime. One can a day!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    @Otherside agreed. The last time I've been to Greggs was probably something like 2010. I use my nose to choose a bakery and Gregg's doesn't smell right to me. The local indie bakery does...but is eye-wateringly expensive. Oh the dilemma.
    I've gotten To Good To Go bags from greggs (App you can get a bag of stuff that is about to go off for a few quid), have on occasion gotten a big bag of the sausage rolls in those. I don't know if I would ever pay full price for those though.

Those no local independent bakery near me. Load of independent coffee shops mind. Seems to be the only thing there is where I live. Coffee shops.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Shredder View Post
    I remember when I was about 15 and I was REALLY skinny. I used to roller speed skate and the coach told my mum that stout would help build me up so drinking stout became a part of my training regime. One can a day!
    Alcohol/hop fat is a different kind of fat. That scares me more than regular fat. I have enough Paxil fat as it is - I can't lose it.

DIsney lost their special tax privileges in Florida set back in 1967 - this is the 50th anniversary of DisneyWorld in Orlando. There are even employees up in arms over what the CEO did in caving into woke culture.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    I've gotten To Good To Go bags from greggs (App you can get a bag of stuff that is about to go off for a few quid), have on occasion gotten a big bag of the sausage rolls in those. I don't know if I would ever pay full price for those though.

Those no local independent bakery near me. Load of independent coffee shops mind. Seems to be the only thing there is where I live. Coffee shops.
    Sounds like the South East : P No, just kidding. My city is also chock full of coffee shops but trying to find a good grocer is a real headache. I've heard of Good to Go, generally positive stuff. Lucky dip and an occasional stinker but people seem to pick up great value stuff a lot of the time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.