Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Effectiveness of therapy

I've recently started seeing a cognitive therapist to try and get help for my anxiety. Am I right in observing that cognitive therapy does not attack the core of the issues, instead attempting to change the way you think about those issues? So far I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere, but I've only had a few sessions. How are your experiences?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm in the same situation as you. Just went to my second therapy session yesterday. CBT is designed to change your thinking, learning new thinking which over time, short time hopefully, will crowd out the negative thinking. I also don't feel any changes at all yet, but I'll hang in there and see if it starts to work. Hope things go well for you in your therapy.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I recently went through group CBT earlier this year and I feel that it has helped immensely. You are correct in that it attempts to change your thinking patterns, which means you get out of it the amount of effort you put into it. It does take a while to actually experience any changes since thinking patterns don't change overnight.

I wish both of you the best luck in your therapy!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks! If anything, the first three sessions have made my depression worse cause I'm more aware of my perceived problems. But it's part of the process I suppose.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awareness is usually one of the first steps. Now that you know what's wrong, you can work to fix it.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah.. they're not easily solved, but gotta try I guess. The things that bother me are mostly existential in nature.. pertaining to things I cannot necessarily change. Shape, perhaps. In time.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No one I know whose done CBT has a very positive view of it. The only people I know who strongly defend it are therapists offering it. But at the same time no one seems to know a better treatment for things like SA so I guess were all stuck with it.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote BananaExpress View Post
    I've recently started seeing a cognitive therapist to try and get help for my anxiety. Am I right in observing that cognitive therapy does not attack the core of the issues, instead attempting to change the way you think about those issues? So far I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere, but I've only had a few sessions. How are your experiences?
    I've never had any experience with cognitive therapy but my therapist had explained to me that such therapy tries to change your way of looking at issues ~ as a consequence you don't get as overwhelmed when tackling problems, so you get stressed less easily, and learn to move on.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.