9 Post(s)

What was your first therapist like?

Was it a good experience?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    It wasn't bad but I don't remember much and it didn't last - she kept saying we were going to start CBT but never did
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No, haha, it was horrific. She had no idea what she was doing. I stopped going after 2 sessions.

A couple years later I tried again because I really really needed help. I found one of the most amazing therapists ever and even though we've stopped our sessions, we still keep in contact. When she left she referred me to her other therapist friend and once again, I struck gold and I found another amazing therapist who I am still in contact with. Once SHE left, I found my own therapist who I did CBT with, the sessions have ended but I'm in a much better place than before.

My point is, even though your first therapist might suck, it doesn't mean you should give up. Keep on looking and you will get just as lucky as I did.

Oh, the only reason they kept leaving is because I live in a country where people go in and out a lot. Not many people stay here for a long time.

Abandoned account
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have never seen a therapist.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    my parents force me to see one. It was kinda boring we just talked about every day events. I stop seeing my therapist after he said i had ADD and he needed confirmation from a psychiatrist. F*ck that lol

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He was okay but after a few years I feel like I had hit a plateau and struggled to benefit from it anymore. The exposure exercises did help to ease me into college which I never thought I could do.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Very friendly, but since I was dragged there kicking and screaming (well, not literally, thank God) I didn't get much out of the experience.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awful. My mom complained to the board.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No, not a good experience at all! I'm not joking, she would fall asleep during our sessions. She would look visibly sleepy, her eyes would close, and then when her head would fall to the side it would sort of wake her up. She was never alert and because she was nodding off, she wasn't aware enough to help me with anything.

I quit going to her, obviously. My next therapist was/is amazing. I have been going to him for over 2 years now. He has helped me tremendously. And I wouldn't be where I am today without him. He may be the only person in the world that understands me and really wants me to do well.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've only had one, after I had a bad breakup. She didn't really do much, just listened and would occasionally ask a question to highlight a point. I guess that was her technique, to let me sort things out while offering a little guidance along the way.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My first therapist was really good and taught me a lot about cognitive behavior therapy, which did help me somewhat. The couple therapists I had after him sucked. One of the ladies I saw just gossiped about her other patients hock:

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Becky View Post
    One of the ladies I saw just gossiped about her other patients hock:
    That's just terrible! I know it's easier said than done, but I'm surprised you didn't report her!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    544 Post(s)
    Mine was a Genius-Buddhist-kindness-Warrioress-Wizardess who taught me more about life than any other human being.

IllusionOfHappiness's Avatar killer of conversations
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Pricey! I found a free one. Learned some things about CBT. Stopped seeing her when she couldn't help me anymore. I think nowadays I'd sooner read a book. I can't picture myself being open with a complete stranger. At least not as open as I'd need to be for them to actually be of any help to me.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    She did not have a clue how to deal with me and shoved me to someone else.
    OMG, I love AnxietySpace

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.