Total Eclipse's Avatar Happy Sparkles and Coffee
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

Vegan diet could greatly reduce World Hunger & Global Warming

The idea behind this: is people raise animals (to consume) for up to 24 months, sometimes, putting in a lot of resources for an end product that is less than what was put into it. As well, as 70% of food-related emissions are from meat related products.

According to the researchers, global adoption of meat-free or meat-reduced diets could:

• Avoid 5.1 million deaths by 2050, a number that goes up to 7.3 million for a vegetarian diet and 8.1 million for a vegan diet
    • Reduce greenhouse gases by two thirds
    • Cut food related emissions by 29 percent -- 63 percent for a vegetarian diet and 70 percent for a vegan diet
    • Help save around £500 million in healthcare, unpaid informal care and lost working days.

According to researchers at Oxford University, worldwide veganism would also save some $700 billion to $1 trillion per year on health care, and cut food-related emissions by 70 percent. The findings, published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, mark the first time that researchers have looked into the impact of a worldwide vegan diet on health and climate change.
    Currently, greenhouse gas emissions linked to food make up half of the pollution that the planet can afford to maintain if global warming its to be kept below 2°C.

But 70 per cent of food-related emissions would be cut if people adopted a vegan diet, dropping to 63 per cent with a vegetarian diet. Meanwhile, following global dietary guidelines would be cut emissions by 29 per cent.
    Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0a06d58056f03

UNEP

Analysis and valuation of the health and climate change cobenefits of dietary change

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    You're a bit late, animal farming will be a thing of the past in the future: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...74e_story.html

Don't forget eating meat has tons of health benefits, and it is not a good idea to go down a path of forcing people to be Vegan, people should be able to choose what they want to eat without judgement and condescension.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I love meat too much. Don't eat it every day. There is also research that suggests parents who have their children on vegan diet are putting them at developmental and health risks. I say all to your own as long as your safe. For me I couldn't survive without chickens.
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Jerry View Post
    You're a bit late, animal farming will be a thing of the past in the future: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...74e_story.html

Don't forget eating meat has tons of health benefits, and it is not a good idea to go down a path of forcing people to be Vegan, people should be able to choose what they want to eat without judgement and condescension.
    Yes, lab grown meat has been an amazing option that is a great leverage to help end suffering. I can see that the "new meat of the future" (and hopefully cause less suffrage) and eventually wean people off meat. Problem is, GMO's aren't meant to be the 'baseline' for food tho. It's ok in moderation-- (and will get a lot of backlash). Although, that's how new things get started. It doesn't make this statistic any less valid and a look at:

1. Suffrage eating meat causes
    --- Animal suffrage
    --- Human suffrage
    --- Global

2. Data collection
    --- How much % of emissions is caused due to producing meat.
    --- How much % of cost it is to feed animals, to consume them for food and the % not outwaying the outcome.
    --- How much that above % could feed starving children.

Most people see veganism and think "Yeah, OK, I like animals.. but, not that much" and think they are doing a service, by eating animals (i.e thinking about over population) when in reality, it would be the opposite. This sheds light on that.

And whilst eating meat you get nutrients, If you reading the full PDF, it shows you can receive all the nutrients from plants, that you can from meats, and benefits from eating just a plant base diet, that both the diabetic and heart foundations, feel is more beneficial than consuming meat, in a dietary way. As well, as most plant based diets, are only deficient on 2 vitamin compared to people eating meat-based, are deficient in 8, typically.

The article brings an interesting prospective. That's all. It's not forcing people to stop eating meat, it's showing a possible plan that could end world hunger.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote StellarStars View Post
    There is nothing wrong with GMOs. And veganism movement has been going on since 1944, 72 years now. Everyone who eats meats has already been given large amounts of judgement and condescension from loud and overly opinionated vegans, who go on and on with the very information that you posted here. This vegan's dream that everyone becomes vegan is just not going to happen as meat-eaters have clearly chosen to continue eating meat, for which they have every right to do without having to put up with judgement and condescension.

Btw, climate change is cured by the end of fossil fuels, not by a vegan diet.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    This thread is posted in the Science section because of the statistic is science research. Thanks

Quote Jerry View Post
    There is nothing wrong with GMOs.
    Eating large amounts of GMO's have been heavily debated. Altho, that's not the point of this thread. Having GMO's be the main staple in someones diet isn't going to be healthy.

Quote Jerry View Post
    And veganism movement has been going on since 1944, 72 years now.
    False. Veganism dates back over 2,000 years. Vegetarianism is strongly linked with a number of religions that originated in ancient India (Jainism, Hinduism and Buddhism). In Jainism, vegetarianism is mandatory for everyone; in Hinduism and Mahayana Buddhism, it is advocated by some influential scriptures and religious authorities.

Quote Jerry View Post
    Everyone who eats meats has already been given large amounts of judgement and condescension from loud and overly opinionated vegans,
    Because people want to give voices to animals, and give them basic rights, that makes one "overly opinionated", Jerry? Really? Nope, I don't think so. Think the tables are a bit turned there. ~

Kinda funny that veganism is only 2% of the population (0.5% in united states) yet it's a "huge amount of judgement" from "everyone".

Quote Jerry View Post
    who go on and on with the very information that you posted here.
    Passive aggressive much? I posted a science-related-article in the science section about facts, that have been studied and researched, if you don't agree with them, that's fine. But it's not over opinionated. '

Quote Jerry View Post
    for which they have every right to do without having to put up with judgement and condescension.
    People have their own morals and ethnics. People judge, all the time, and have every right to feel passionate about animals health, and welbeing, as well as the welbeing of humans. When harm is being done, and cruelty is being taken place, standing up, for what it right, is what is needed. Sometimes, a persons best judgement call -- is the right thing.

Quote Jerry View Post
    Btw, climate change is cured by the end of fossil fuels, not by a vegan diet.
    Only 40% of climate changes would be fixed by ending fossil fuels and the other 30% by the production of which animal productions for consumption is made. To state one thing, solely could "cure" global warming, is absurd.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote L View Post
    I love meat too much. Don't eat it every day. There is also research that suggests parents who have their children on vegan diet are putting them at developmental and health risks. I say all to your own as long as your safe. For me I couldn't survive without chickens.
    Even reducing, I think causes less demand, which causes less overcrowding, and overfeeding, and more crops for people to consume. that's great. You should be proud !! xo

And yes, I've heard about re: children vegans. However, it's not due to the diet, rather than lack of knowledge from parents of complex proteins and etc. According to the American Dietetic Association, "Well-planned vegetarian diets — even a vegan diet — can supply all the nutrients that children require for their growth and energy needs." In fact, it is the official position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that "appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases." The American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada also recognized that "Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes."

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Eating large amounts of GMO's have been heavily debated. Altho, that's not the point of this thread. Having GMO's be the main staple in someones diet isn't going to be healthy.
    You are already eating them. GMOs stands for Genetically Modified Organisms, which means the DNA of the organism is modified to get a specific outcome, the most common of which is pest resistant and removing the need for pesticides. GMOs is not an additive.

Because people want to give voices to animals, and give them basic rights, that makes one "overly opinionated", Jerry? Really? Nope, I don't think so.
    I don't know about the USA, but in Australia there is no suffering, animals are well looked after on the farms and when the time comes they are quickly put to sleep before anything happens to them, they experience no pain nor suffer.

Only 40% of climate changes would be fixed by ending fossil fuels and the other 30% by the production of which animal productions for consumption is made. To state one thing, solely could "cure" global warming, is absurd.
    The problem is not that there is carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, having some of it in the atmosphere is needed for plants, animals and humans to survive, the problem is that there is too much of it. Think about carbon dioxide like a blanket, on a very cold night you need a blanket to keep yourself warm and alive, but if use hundreds of blankets you are going to overheat and will not be alive in the morning.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson can explain it better than me though:

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    People have their own morals and ethnics. People judge, all the time, and have every right to feel passionate about animals health, and welbeing, as well as the welbeing of humans. When harm is being done, and cruelty is being taken place, standing up, for what it right, is what is needed. Sometimes, a persons best judgement call -- is the right thing.
    Speaking about an issue passionately is very different to accusing people of not caring about animals when they don't agree with your point of view.

Passive aggressive much?
    I wasn't being passive aggressive, I was just saying that I've heard all of this before and it doesn't make me or anyone else a bad person if we continue to eat meat, especially when the animals don't suffer (in Australia at least).

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I like to think that the perfect diet is the paleo diet. 80% veggies, fruit, nuts, etc... 20% meat. If that's how early man did it them that's probably the best way.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote stuck1nhead View Post
    I like to think that the perfect diet is the paleo diet. 80% veggies, fruit, nuts, etc... 20% meat. If that's how early man did it them that's probably the best way.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
    This is actually very interesting.

The China Study, explains that in fact, we only recently (historically speaking) began eating meat, and that the inclusion of meat in our diet came well after we became who we are today. Humans actually have adapted to be able to eat both meat and plants, turning us into omnivores, even though our bodies are much more similar to herbivores. Now, in the wild, this would mean that we would eat mostly plant matter and would eat a very small amount of meat matter. But wouldn't need meat to survive or be at optimum level. And as you stated, the ratio of veggies vs meat, for humans, are way higher in need, for our diets for plant matter. Unlike, ferrets that need the ratio of 90% meat and 10% veggies (they die within a few months of not having this).

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    False. Veganism dates back over 2,000 years. Vegetarianism is strongly linked with a number of religions that originated in ancient India (Jainism, Hinduism and Buddhism). In Jainism, vegetarianism is mandatory for everyone; in Hinduism and Mahayana Buddhism, it is advocated by some influential scriptures and religious authorities.
    To be clear, I wasn't trying to belittle you, your views or the movement in general, and I'm sorry if it came across that way. The point I was trying to make is that this push to have everyone change to a vegan diet has been around for a very long time and the change is just not going to happen. I know the people behind it has good intentions, but it is clear that the human race is not going to give up meat. And I think taking a more pragmatic approach is a better option than continuing that push, doing things like looking into lab-grown meat, end animal testing, making sure the animals are well looked after, and making sure they don't suffer or experience pain.

Because people want to give voices to animals, and give them basic rights, that makes one "overly opinionated", Jerry? Really? Nope, I don't think so. Think the tables are a bit turned there.
    I'm not putting that label on you, I was referring to diehard vegans who harass and bully everyone they see eating meat even if they are complete strangers. I have lost count on the amount of times I have been bullied and harassed by vegans in public while eating, the worst was when a vegan commented loudly to their friend so I could hear: "That poor animal. Eaten by that fat fuck. It's sickening." It is when people turn their views into harassment like that is where I have an issue. No-one is forcing vegans to eat meat and vegans shouldn't force people into not eating meat.

Lunaire's Avatar Consumer of Coffee
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    AmusedAmused
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    This is something that I think about on a consistent basis and I try to constantly remind myself just how precious sentient life is.

Here is a scale of the known observable universe. It is infitely vast and majestic... And yet, despite its vast size and how much we have observed, ours is the only planet that we are currently aware of that contains life.

When you put it into that perspective, it becomes apparent that even something as small and seemingly insignificant as an ant is actually vastly significant and important in relation to most of the visible universe. It is alive and it is aware.

It is this thought that motivates me and keeps me striving on a daily basis to do everything in my power to harm none.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    @Lunaire . What a great post! Thank you : )

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Oh god this thread.... people were born to eat meat. Our ancestors ate meat, we evolved to eat meat.

IM NOT GOING TO EAT LAB GROEN MEAT!!

That's just frankenfood imo....

I've tried going vegetarian once and vegan once. Both times I felt awful, had no energy, got bruises everywhere. That's when I knew I needed meat.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.