Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

December 21, 2012

This date scares the crap out. Actually keeps me up thinking some nights were just another day closer. I don't know if its a myth or what.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Don't worry, it's a myth.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember many predictions of the world ending on a certain date, and none of them came true. The minute these dates go by and nothing happens, everyone forgets about them and someone comes up with a new doomsday date, and the cycle repeats itself again.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^ Exactly!

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Im celebrating on that day!!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember the fuss on Jan 1, 2000. lolol.

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    12/12/12 12:12.12 Is coming up! That scares me more
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I totally forgot about this. I'm not worrying since I have other things to worry about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The media are overhyping it, as usual.

I am still waiting for the world to end after Y2K, and it's 12 years later.

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Okay, so the last Mayan Long Count calendar to have been been created ends on 12/21/12. This portends the apocalypse how?

You might want to take a small reality check and realize our current calendar ends every 12 months. We generally don't worry about that welcoming in the apocalypse. Usually we just plan a drunken party, watch some stupid ball of lights descend in Times Square and buy a new calendar for the next year.

Since there are really no Mayan clergy or scientists to speak of any longer it's probably a little difficult for them to set up new Long Count calendar as they would most likely do just at we distribute all those disgusting calendars with pictures of puppies, kittens, small children and such to mark time for the next 12 months.
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Katie View Post
    I remember the fuss on Jan 1, 2000. lolol.
    I still have a beanie baby from the bug they gave out for that. I was scared the first few times the hype was here, after awhile, you get not afraid.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Jason View Post
    I still have a beanie baby from the bug they gave out for that. I was scared the first few times the hype was here, after awhile, you get not afraid.
    They made Y2K beanie babies?

As for the 2012 thing, I'll be glad when it passes. That will make for one less annoying doomsday theory I have to hear about, at least until the next one is imagined.

I think our demise will likely come about through our own doing, not something supernatural; whether it be the result of overpopulation, as another poster mentioned, or some sort of super weapon, be it nuclear or biological.

But hey, let's hope it never happens!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    These "predictions" that fall on days were the month/day/year are the same, or are sequential or whatever...is just so so stupid. Hey scientists, is this really what you base your prediction on? This reminds me of games we played in Elementary school. Wow, the numbers match up...so the world must be going to end. **spooky** :rolleyes:

...as for the Mayans calender ending. So they didn't think far enough ahead. How will that cause the world to end? :rolleyes: So sick of all the hype that's created about this. Believe it when you SEE it...not when you HEAR it.

When a big fireball(ie: the Sun) starts getting closer and closer, then I'll pull up a chair and toast to the end of the world. Until then, I won't buy into any of these scare tactics.
    Be yourself, everyone else is taken. -Oscar Wilde

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Jcgrey View Post
    Okay, so the last Mayan Long Count calendar to have been been created ends on 12/21/12. This portends the apocalypse how?

You might want to take a small reality check and realize our current calendar ends every 12 months. We generally don't worry about that welcoming in the apocalypse. Usually we just plan a drunken party, watch some stupid ball of lights descend in Times Square and buy a new calendar for the next year.

Since there are really no Mayan clergy or scientists to speak of any longer it's probably a little difficult for them to set up new Long Count calendar as they would most likely do just at we distribute all those disgusting calendars with pictures of puppies, kittens, small children and such to mark time for the next 12 months.

Yep. That's it exactly. The Mayan calendar is a round wheel like our yearly calendars. When we hit December we get a new calendar. When the wheel hits 12/21/12, the wheel has hit its last day and so it's time to start counting on the new wheel. It's just hype. I know someone who visited the old Mayan towns this past summer and she got it straight from the people who lived in that area. They gave her charts and other information. Also if you believe in any type of deity, then it's written in many holy books that we don't know when our time will come. Only the deity does.

Now, do you want to hear some wild paranoia about 12/21/12? For the past 5 years, a person at work has talked about this date being the end of the world. She has literally spent the last 5 years in terror. At one point she convinced me to go with her to some group meeting where they all planned a preparation for the day. I went a couple of times because I was totally amazed that people actually believed this. They had video simulations (btw, the earth is cracking into 2 pieces so make sure you collect a lot of bottled water because you'll need it when the earth falls away from it's other half........wtf???) Yeah, they are really collecting bottled water. Her garage is packed to the hilt.

So whenever some natural disaster would happen, she would say "it's the beginning." She swears Hurricane Katrina started the countdown. For the last year, she has been on a kick to be "kinder to others" because she is trying to save souls. She says people don't realize that they will die this month and so she wants to help them along to go to heaven. She attributes her belief to a vision. Her husband totally believes this also.

In the summer, she informed me that she will be going on vacation during the 12/21/12 week. She planned on going to Mexico to be at "ground zero" for the apocalypse. I looked at her seriously and said, "So you're going to leave me here alone to put out the flames?" She didn't appreciate that comment. I wondered why she bothered to have us plan our 2013 programs if we weren't going to be using them.

Then all of a sudden in November, she decided that our department needed to plan a Mayan program for kids on 12/21/12. Really??!!! We never just put together a program in a month. We do them a year in advance. She's not going to Mexico during that date, but I'm not sure if she's working that day. When I found out she was having this program, she asked me if I thought 2nd graders would understand a Mayan program. I said, "Sure. Especially if you held a sacrifice. Even my teens would like that." She wasn't amused. So then I asked her, "So now not only am I here to put out the flames, but you're encouraging over 100 or more people to come to the library, so I'll be responsible for them also?" Again, no comment.

So I see that date as a true pain in the arse, with hundreds of people that will have to live with me in a burned out basement with no bottled water as our half of the earth hurtles toward the sun. Just kidding.

But I'm sure it will be just like any other day.

And to be honest, our entire department is curious to see what will happen on Dec 22. Will this co-worker come back? Will she and her "crew" hurtle off the planet with their bottled water? It happens every apocalypse date. The only problem with that is I'm next in line to run the department and I certainly don't want the job.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    IndescribableIndescribable
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It'll still be interesting to see what happens on that day and just beforehand... probably a lot of rioting, mass-suicides, etc.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am sure there will be some very disappointed Doomsday Preppers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.