Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

What do people stereotype you as?

Do people stereotype you based on certain personality traits? I get stereotyped a lot and I find it extremely annoying.
    ---
    I get called a nerd because I'm intelligent/awkward and because I play a lot of video games and I'm interested in computers and technology. Also because of what I do for work.
    I get stereotyped often for where I live. A lot of people at my college assume that because I'm from South Boston that my family is "white trash," that I'm extremely religious, and I get a lot of Irish-American stereotypes directed at me for where I live as well.
    People often assume that because of how I dress, that I am a skateboarder...? Logic...?

Does anyone else run into stereotypes?
    Keddy
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    -Have been stereotyped as a nerd for enjoying school, taking honors classes, or simply doing well in school.
    -Have also been stereotyped as a nerd for enjoying watching/reading the news and keeping up with current events.
    -Some people have stereotyped me as rich, preppy and snobbish because I live in Orange County (I wish I was rich lol)
    -Parents stereotype me as a "whore" or a "slut" because of how my body looks (i.e. big breasts, wide hips, bit of a big butt); the rest of the family thinks it's weird I look like that as well.
    -Someone stereotyped me as someone who will shoot up a school because I have anxiety issues (I say this is the worst one for me personally *sigh* )

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Nerd because I enjoy studying and learning new things
    Loner because people don't understand introvert
    Hipster because I don't listen to the music found on the radio
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    This is a great topic, Keddy!

I get stereotyped about my home of origin. When people hear I'm from New Orleans, they assume a few things:

That I drink
    Party all the time
    I'm a [BEEP] and take off my top to get beads
    Plus I'm a thug because a lot of Texans say that the neighborhood went to pot after us "Katrina people" moved in. btw, I moved to Texas before hurricane Katrina.

People think I'm stupid because I have a sense of humor and am friendly. They also assume I'm a push over.

I'm not smart enough to be labeled a nerd, even though I read, make computer videos, go to Sci Fi conventions and know every Star Trek, Star Wars, Dr. Who, Monty Python and Babylon 5 episode.

I also get stereotyped in a good way because people think librarians just read and help people. I literally have to show them I'm not the way they think I am..........I like to help people, but I'm not the glasses wearing, bun wearing, tweed sweater wearing, saddle oxford wearing librarian. Far from it!! When you've been a counselor in the juvenile delinquency field and a Kindergarten teacher, you don't wear tweed.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    weird and quiet

Quote SmileyFace View Post
    -Parents stereotype me as a "whore" or a "slut" because of how my body looks (i.e. big breasts, wide hips, bit of a big butt); the rest of the family thinks it's weird I look like that as well.
    quality family you got there

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote meeps View Post
    weird and quiet

quality family you got there
    Yeah, I thought the same thing. I'm sorry your parent treats you that way, SmileyFace. They lie. You're neither of those things and never were.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Hm... Well I'm from Vancouver. I guess other Canadians might think I'm a pot-smoking hippie who does yoga and hates Toronto. I'm none of these things.

Skippy's Avatar Pickin' and Grinnin'!
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote inane View Post
    Hm... Well I'm from Vancouver. I guess other Canadians might think I'm a pot-smoking hippie who does yoga and hates Toronto. I'm none of these things.
    LOLLLLLZZZ. I always thought it was more Alberta that hates Toronto n' no idea why. BC seemed to me as laid back as pot smoking hippies despite ever seeing the literal. Albertans have to be some of the most close minded, rednecks I've seen in Canada. They have to judge an fight with everyone and have this north/south mentality like Edmonton hates Calgary and vice versa or Alberta hates Toronto. It's so petty and childish.

As for me, people seem to have this tendancy to think the wrong things based on my personality.
    I'm thought to be hyper and silly and never serious and a bit of a pushover too, cept such people only see me in 'fun mode' so they come
    to that conclusion. A lotta people never really get to know me fully but those tho did can attest otherwise, that it's only one aspect.
    I dunno why people have too be 'this' or 'that' anyway. I respond to the world based on the situation n' what not.

IllusionOfHappiness's Avatar killer of conversations
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Skippy View Post
    I dunno why people have too be 'this' or 'that' anyway. I respond to the world based on the situation n' what not.
    Great point, Skippy. I can be any number of things depending on the circumstances. I'm not sure what people stereotype me as. Probably just boring and quiet.

Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ^It is a good point indeed. I wish people didn't see a need to stereotype each other at all. The number of things I've been called in my life, and the number of which are entirely false... It's just sad. And even one person can be perceived in many completely different ways by other people.
    I know it's too much to ask for society to just treat each other with respect and not make assumptions, but the world would be a much better place if everyone were open-minded.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Back in my school days I was stereotyped Goth/Emo a lot cause I tried so hard to be. Now I'm not really stereotyped anything but average or awkward. Sometimes I'm stereotyped snobby though cause I don't talk much to people that don't interest me.

OH! Lets not forget my disorder that people throw in my face constantly. BIPOLAR.

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote IllusionOfHappiness View Post
    Great point, Skippy. I can be any number of things depending on the circumstances. I'm not sure what people stereotype me as. Probably just boring and quiet.
    Samesies

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    How I stereotype:

1. Person from Toronto- Stiff, stick-up-the-butt, cynical, business-oriented, go go go mentality. (Not necessarily a bad thing).

2. Person from Alberta- Conservative and wealthy.

3. Person from the rest of the Prairie family- Friendly, happy, easy to please.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    544 Post(s)
    i have very little conception of stereotypes. i don't really understand them. they're kind of over my head I think....maybe more of a case of me not paying attention than any nobility i might possess....maybe not. I'm not aware I'm stereotyped.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i really don't know. quiet, shy, a bit out of it maybe, standoffish? i don't really know, but not really any of the big stereotypes because i don't really show enough to be stereotyped as something. not that i really have anything to show though, im supposing most people get stereotyped for what they can't help showing or wanting to show, but in my case there's really nothing there. benefits of that is not getting judged for what you are, but then the downside is not really being anybody, really im just an observer first and i'd prefer just to do that unseen as much as possible. yeah i find it better for me to try to blend into the background to avoid getting singled as being weak then to show im not weak. but that's really the thing to avoid, and there's different ways to avoid it. when i was carrying books around maybe i got stereotyped as nerd, but now i carry an e-reader around, and i think that stands out less.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.