Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Risperidone (Risperdal)

I was prescribed this medication for generalized anxiety and mood stabilization (due to bipolar disorder), it is a potent atypical anti psychotic (due to "tight" binding (high affinity) for the D2 receptor).

DOSE: 0.5mg TWICE daily

When I started taking Risperdal it would sedate me at first, but then over time (2 - 3 weeks) the sedation passed, but I was still getting anxiety attacks and mood instability; so my pdoc decided to increase my dose. I experienced no side effects at this dose.

DOSE: 1mg TWICE daily

When my dose was increased there was no change in sedation; but there was a drop in both social and generalized anxiety levels and my mood is markedly stabilized at this dose. However I started to experience a few side effects such as weight gain.

Overall:

Risperdal is very effective for mood stabilization and social anxiety but not so for generalized anxiety; although it definitely has a positive impact on my anxiety levels.

If others want to share their experience of this medication please feel free to post here.

Forum Addiction:

de luz, temecula, ca / llançà, catalunya, esp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i'm just curious as to whether or not you had trialed a number of other traditional mood stabilisers (read: the aeds) and anxiolytics prior to jumping into the atypicals.

not that the atypicals are to be demonised by any means, although they certainly are stigmatised by many, but rather the side effect profile of said class of drugs can be harsh, and while one may not experience side effects that are particularly distressing in the immediate, unfavourable effects may exhibit themselves later during or post-treatment.

that said, one has to weigh the risk:benefit ratio of any drug taken, and it seems as though you have done so with risperidone. it is a great drug and has certainly, along with the rest in its class, improved the quality of life of many. i was merely curious as to whether you had trialed the aeds and anxiolytics prior to.
    'There is nothing so horrible in nature as to see a beautiful theory murdered by an ugly gang of facts.' -Franklin

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Do you ever get your Prolactin level checked? Risperdal can sometimes ramp up levels of this hormone which can drop testosterone among other things.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.