Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rachelchloe's Avatar Hopelessly lost
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you get put down for being different?

Do you ever get...talked down to, because you don't believe in the 'normal' thing? I personally am atheist, and I am proud if it, but I do get rude remarks when people find out I am.

I was wondering...Does this ever happen to you?

OH! And by normal, I mean whatever the main religion is from wherever you live.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No one bothers you about stuff like that where I live.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It has never personally happened to me, but I have friends who have faced this issue.

It is terrible to be put down for what you believe in.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I live in Florida where everyone is Spanish and the main religion is Christianity, so yes I have been put down because of my "religion". I once had a friend stop talking to me. Other times I just get rude comments.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes. I've had people take the mickey out of me and put me down a lot about this. One of the reasons why, until recently, I did not share too much about what I believed religion/spirituality wise.

But..well...this sounds odd but The Goddess made it clear to me that doubting myself is also doubting her. Faith can be questioned, examined, explored and perhaps even challenged with respect. Whether you believe faith comes from the divine or simply from the person, it has value just as non belief does. Some people are not going to understand who The Goddess is to me and that's as it should be. My religion is not the truth of the universe. It is simply the inspiration I have given my life to.

I meet so many people from different faiths, spiritual paths and from none. Just because I can't sit with their philosophy does not make their philosophy bad or wrong. Jesus preached peace, love and compassion. The Goddess preaches peace, love and compassion, Buddhists preach a life of peace, love and compassion. Muslims preach a life of love, peace and compassion. Other religions preach a life of love,peace and compassion and so do non believers. Many of the teachings are hard to live up to, for sure. But if we don't make the mistakes then we will never be reminded of what it is we want to avoid. If we were perfect to begin with then none of us would be given the chance to grow and develop.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I've been slammed both ways. When I didn't believe in God, people slammed me with how terrible I was for not believing in a higher power. Then when I started believing, I was slammed with how stupid and delusional I was for believing. That happened a lot on the other forum. That's why I had to sneak into this section. I wanted to test the waters. I will never understand how my beliefs affect others if I don't shove them down people's throats. I guess people project their anger on others because they can't do it to the people they need to do it to or something. But yeah, I have been put down by both sides. I guess that's why there's a saying to avoid religious and political conversation. People are passionate about their beliefs and somehow feel the need to punish others who belong to something they are against.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Yep, I get it, even on forums.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think this is the first time I have openly said I am a Christian and this is what I believe, I don't speak to my family about my faith, I did tell my mom about my relationship with Jesus. My girlfriends doesn't really believe so even just talking about Jesus or my personal faith makes her uncomfortable, she never puts me down though but I do worry that there will be people who will, I become very uncomfortable with the thought of being ridiculed for my beliefs.

You'll always find people on both sides who will put you down or make you feel uncomfortable about your beliefs whether you believe or don't believe, there are those who will respect you as I do and those who will look down at you but focus on the compassionate and understanding and those who uplift you and respect you. I sometimes worry too that people would think I was a bible thumper because there are people with the mind set that anyone who is religious is trying to shove religion down other peoples throats.

You're from SAS right? I don't know if we've ever met but probably knew me over there as Ironpain, I can see why you came over here, I already like the atmosphere here.
    Friends Together Together Forever

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For me I'm not ashamed to say Jesus is my Lord and Savior, Surely God is my salvation; I will trust & not be afraid. -Isa 12:2 well online but in real life that's a little more difficult, wish I could say that I'm brave to tell people I believe but I'm afraid that I will be perceived as a Bible thumper or someone who needs a crotch or what other label I'll be identified with for my belief in Jesus Christ but it takes a person with a lot of faith and conviction to say proclaim to the world that they believe in Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior. I respect your right not to believe and I would only ask in understanding that you respect my right too belief.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Only on that terrible SAS forum, that's about it

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Trendsetter View Post
    Only on that terrible SAS forum, that's about it
    Looking back I can see why people feel the way they do about SAS, somebody should be able to talk about their faith freely and honestly without worrying that someone is going to attack them, especially on an anxiety forum, that it should be a place where people who believe can come together and share in their faith without people looking down at them and insulting them or making them feel uncomfortable. It should be a community of people reaching out to each other in faith respect and understanding.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This site also feels safe to me. I am able to talk about my faith on my profile without being ashamed of who I am. But I fear for telling people irl.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote JesusChild View Post
    Looking back I can see why people feel the way they do about SAS, somebody should be able to talk about their faith freely and honestly without worrying that someone is going to attack them, especially on an anxiety forum, that it should be a place where people who believe can come together and share in their faith without people looking down at them and insulting them or making them feel uncomfortable. It should be a community of people reaching out to each other in faith respect and understanding.
    I wanted that also. I think I'm going to go grab at least my entries on a thread I made over there called How has God touched your life. I wish I could bring the thoughts of other people also, but I can't. But I hope that others here will add their own testimonies to the thread.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I am fine with whatever religion you choose to be, just as long as you don't shove it down my throat.

VickieKitties's Avatar Living irl
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My Dad is a big time atheist, he thinks I'm a crazy person. Maybe you have to be a little crazy to have had a religious epiphany, I'm ok with that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.