Page 257 of 374 FirstFirst ... 57 157 207 247 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 267 307 357 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,855 of 5600
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Cuchculan View Post
    The bloke in question was speaking on an Irish radio station the other night. Irish people considered him mad. As you say, he did not like the World he lived in and didn't want to be part of it. So he blamed his parents from bringing him into the world without his consent. As was put to him, ' why don't you just kill yourself, if you hate the world you live in '. Instead of blaming others for bringing you into it. He went on to say that parents give birth for their own amusement. In other words having a child is to amuse them, not to make the child happy at all. This is one case he won't be winning.
    Don't forget the two teens back in the early 2000s that sued McDonald's for making them fat..

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quote fetisha View Post
    Don't forget the two teens back in the early 2000s that sued McDonald's for making them fat..
    Tears for Fears sang the song ' Mad World '. I think they were looking into the future.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Doseone's Avatar Metacognizant
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    They claim that it comes from a place of compassion and empathy, but I'd argue that it comes from a place of selfishness. If they really thought the world was that bad, they ought to be living like literal saints (i.e. doing everything within their power to minimize suffering). They can't take responsibility for their own unhappiness/mental state, so they blame others. It's a very simplistic outlook. Birth/life = suffering (which it doesn't, necessarily), non-existence = no suffering (let's just grant that), any form of suffering = not worth living with/through (I thnk that's probably the death knell to the argument). The fact that most people aren't suicidal attests to this. I've been through periods in my life where I wish I was never born (who hasn't?), but I've also gotten to a point in my life where I'm actually content. Again, it's a very black and white outlook. It'd be interesting to see a poll on this. How many people if given the option to have never been born would do so?
    "When I know that I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I know that I am everything, that is love. Between the two my life moves." - Nisargadatta Maharaj

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Woman on the radio here one night. Her friend had a new baby. She asked the sex of the baby. Was told that was up to the baby to decide when old enough. So she then asked was the baby born with a penis? Her friend got pissed off with her and didn't want to be friends with her any more. You have either a boy or a girl. If they wish to change their sex later in life then so be it. Is it wrong to simply say ' it is a male ' or ' it is a female '. The baby wouldn't exactly be aware of this whole thing of no gender. So really it is the parents. The parents pushing it on the new born baby who is totally unaware. Those choices about sex can be made when old enough still. Stupid to ruin to a very long friendship over.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I've been thinking about how oversaturated stand-up comedy has become. Almost all jokes are just a variation of another. In fact, I think almost every form of entertainment is dealing with this right now and it's only going to get worse. We're now in the age of remakes of remakes of remakes. I'm kind of envious of people that didn't have so many options. It meant more when you went to the movies and it was something that had never been done/seen before and you had to wait for something like it to be made again. The industry is just throwing stuff at us constantly.

But back to comedy. I think it is so damn overrated. A lot of our top "celebrities" are comics. They're treated like gods when what they do as a profession really isn't that impressive to me. Do you really deserve to be a millionaire because you told an hour of played out jokes? Lol. It's seriously so stupid. I also hate when comedians are on talk shows and everything has to be a joke. We get it, you're a comedian. You don't need to make a joke about everything. It's annoying.
    "When I know that I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I know that I am everything, that is love. Between the two my life moves." - Nisargadatta Maharaj

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote sunrise View Post
    Guy pays $100K to shoot a rare goat in Pakistan and argues that it helps preserve the animals since the money is used to help pay for conservation efforts. If trophy hunters go there to shoot rare animals in the name of conservation, theoretically, these animals could be hunted down to extinction and there would be nothing left to preserve.

I'm against trophy hunting, but to play devil's advocate a bit, plenty (I think the majority) of species that have ever existed have gone extinct. What makes that species of more value than others, just because it happens to be going extinct?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Doseone View Post
    I can't tell if I'm just an asshole for finding most people to be really lame and boring, or if people really are that lame and boring. Very rarely do I find people to be interesting. Probably a bit of both.
    I ll admit I do feel a strong intimdating personality ( not trying to offend you) and I worry if my post annoy you since we seem so different. Then again I feel too different from society and it irks me.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Doseone View Post
    I'm against trophy hunting, but to play devil's advocate a bit, plenty (I think the majority) of species that have ever existed have gone extinct. What makes that species of more value than others, just because it happens to be going extinct?
    To me, it's not a question of value. There's extinction by "natural causes" such as climate change, cataclysmic events, etc. And then there's extinction by humans. Take the dodo for example, I think it was ignorance that led to it's extinction. People didn't realize as they were killing them that a species could become extinct. Maybe if they collectively could see the consequence of their actions, there would've been some attempts to conserve remaining numbers.

But I did more reading on this goat and apparently the strategy of controlled hunting over there has been working because most of that money goes to the locals which incentivizes them to not kill the goats themselves. But that's rare. There's other cases where that strategy didn't abate illegal hunting and the species went the way of the dodo.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote fetisha View Post
    I ll admit I do feel a strong intimdating personality ( not trying to offend you) and I worry if my post annoy you since we seem so different. Then again I feel too different from society and it irks me.
    Oh, I'm not offended. But no, you don't annoy me at all. I don't know enough about you to even begin to find you annoying.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote sunrise View Post
    To me, it's not a question of value. There's extinction by "natural causes" such as climate change, cataclysmic events, etc. And then there's extinction by humans. Take the dodo for example, I think it was ignorance that led to it's extinction. People didn't realize as they were killing them that a species could become extinct. Maybe if they collectively could see the consequence of their actions, there would've been some attempts to conserve remaining numbers.

But I did more reading on this goat and apparently the strategy of controlled hunting over there has been working because most of that money goes to the locals which incentivizes them to not kill the goats themselves. But that's rare. There's other cases where that strategy didn't abate illegal hunting and the species went the way of the dodo.
    Well, we're not in disagreement. I guess my point was more about why it's okay to kill animals that aren't in danger of becoming extinct (I think you said you were vegan, so you're probably against that), but when they are, they're placed on a higher level of importance by a call/need for "conservation." It seems really arbitrary, when like I said, 99% of all species have gone extinct. I mean, I'm not against saving them, it was just something I thought about. Lol. In all likelihood, they will go extinct eventually, with or without human intervention. We'd just be delaying the process. I guess your point is more about how it's humans being the cause, right? But like I said before, humans kill tons of other animals, but it seems to be of lesser importance because they're not in danger of extinction.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    I booked a train ticket to Belgium) in April because I need a holiday and it was cheapish, and then I remembered what's happening in March. (Brexit).

Fuck. This might be fun.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    My gf and I came into good chunk of money recently and finally bought a new bed after wanting one for years. It's a 12 inch thick memory foam mattress and it is fucking awesome! I think a lot of my back pain stemmed from my previous mattress, because I've been feeling a lot better and my range of movement isn't as restricted. Needless to say, I'm extremely happy with it. I've pretty much slept most of my life on used/crappy beds. After experiencing what it's like, I plan to never go back. I think beds and shoes are something you should never skimp on. The comfort really matters.

2019 is off to a great start. Now I just need this cold bullshit to go away and I'll be set. Haha.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Agreed, there a few things in life you should not go for the cheapest option with.

Think I read somewhere that beds cause a large proportion of my back pain problems. Makes sense if you think about it. We spend a third of our lives laying on the things, often not moving much.

Shoes? I dont really get many health problems with cheap shoes, but they wear through quickly. Like a ?10 pair can wear through in a month. Not really saving much in the long run by not shelling out.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    On the Radio today they said Doc Marten boots were making a comeback. About time people caught up with me. Been wearing them for years. 14 hole boots. Knew some day they would come back into trend. Have Doc Marten loafers as well. Cost a bit more, but worth paying the extra for.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I've been thinking about the concept "cool" and how the word doesn't seem to actually apply to any actual thing. Saying that something is cool is really just saying that you, personally, find it interesting. Like the idea that James Dean is cool or smoking looks cool in a film. I don't really think people are saying anything other than "I find that aesthetically pleasing to look at." There is also a little bit of popularity and a need to fit in involved as well. What's "cool" to one group might be "uncool" to another and vice versa. Idk, people and their beliefs and ways of interacting are so weird to me when you break them down. I think a lot of language is like this. Made up nonsense that people create and others follow because they need a place to feel/be accepted.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.