Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

'Brighter than a full moon': The biggest star of 2013... could be Ison - the comet of

'Brighter than a full moon': The biggest star of 2013... could be Ison - the comet of the century

A comet discovered by two Russian astronomers will be visible from Earth next year. Get ready for a once-in-a lifetime light show, says David Whitehouse

At the moment it is a faint object, visible only in sophisticated telescopes as a point of light moving slowly against the background stars. It doesn't seem much – a frozen chunk of rock and ice – one of many moving in the depths of space. But this one is being tracked with eager anticipation by astronomers from around the world, and in a year everyone could know its name.

Comet Ison could draw millions out into the dark to witness what could be the brightest comet seen in many generations – brighter even than the full Moon.

<snip>

Full story:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...y-8431443.html
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I've never seen a comet either. Can't wait for this one. Hopefully it lifes up to expectations. But if not it'll be cool either way.
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    This will be awesome!! I saw Haley's comet when it came close with a high powered telescope. We were out in an oil field with hundreds of people with telescopes bigger than canons. That was the most stars I've ever seen. We saw satellites with the naked eye that night and could hardly make out the constellations because the stars were so dense. I got out fairly often to country roads and pull over to see meteor showers. During one shower there were 6 or 7 shooting at one time. The sky was practically lit up. I'll go read the article to see when the comet will first be appearing. Thanks for letting us know.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Ive always wanted to see a comet!!!!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote gilt View Post
    That's wonderful! I've never seen a comet & I'd love to. Maybe even two, according to the article.
    I saw Hale-Bopp in 1997 with my own two eyes. I never believed that there were aliens behind it, though

Quote Jcgrey View Post
    I've never seen a comet either. Can't wait for this one. Hopefully it lifes up to expectations. But if not it'll be cool either way.
    I always had a regret about not seeing Halley's comet in 1986. My family went out to try and see it, but I chose to stay home. They told me they never saw it.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.