Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Guns in Schools

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote WineKitty View Post
    Nope, sorry it doesn't work like that. There are such things as "districts" based on where you live, you know that. And even if you were able to opt out, it would create havoc amongst schools and teacher to student ratios and such if everyone just "picked" what school in any given city that they would want there child to attend.
    Ok just don't include the option of opting out. Force people to move to a different district if it's that important to them. Send their kids to private schools, or home school them as you mentioned. I wouldn't want the safety of my child to be compromised by paranoid people who fear that a gang of kindergarten children is gonna overpower an adult to get his/her concealed weapon (which they shouldn't even know about) and go on a killing spree.

I can assure you the average teacher doesn't have funds for this. Because, of course, wouldn't parents demand the teacher have certain credentials, assuring them they know how to handle a weapon? There would have to be SOME kind of protocol would there not?
    Fine, they don't have the funds, just don't do it. Leave all criminal disposal duties up the cop that roams the halls if they want(if there is one)? I don't care.

Oh, come on, T, now who is being silly? Education is already slashed down to the bare bones--if you want to take it out of the military budget that is fine with me. And when it is YOUR kid, yeah, it is an angelic little creature. If I had it all to do again, I might just homeschool my kid. But I didn't have that option back in the day.
    Sounds great to me too! Armed security (not teachers) sounds like a plan to put that money to use.

So, what of the lawsuits that have followed mass shootings before and been successfully won. I am willing to bet the losing end of that lawsuit didn't find it "silly."
    Not familiar with these cases, or the details. You'll have to fill me in on those more than you have.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Why would a teacher have a gun? Where would it be kept? And is it really another thing to lay on the already underpaid teachers, besides the role of mentor, educator, babysitter, social worker etc? What kind of training would a teacher have to have? What if the shooter got in and shot up kids regardless of the teacher having a gun....would it then be the teacher's fault for not properly "protecting" the kids? Would there be legal grounds to sue? Would teachers get a raise for their sharpshooting training and skills?
    To protect the kids. In their waistband covered by their shirt. Teachers make 60-70k a year and only work a total of 3 months on 2 months off so they are OVER paid and even get perks like weekends off. Like I said, there's alot of teachers who are into firearms and shooting, let those who wanna carry, carry.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So do you honestly think that if you had the job of "guarding" a school you would be like a secret service agent, eyes constantly darting around for the smallest sign of foul play? Or do you think for most schools it would be a job that bored you to tears and you very well could be caught "OFF GUARD". The fact is this isn't going to happen at most schools.

And there were very many "REAL" questions there (and I am adding a few too).

Where would the gun be kept? What kind of liability would the school face if one of the kids got a hold of it. Is the teacher supposed to wear it holster style or is in a lockbox somewhere?

Where are teachers supposed to get the necessary training to handle a weapon in a mass shooting situation and who is paying for it? Who is providing the gun? We cannot even afford, according to conservatives, to continue the WIC program to give milk and cereal to poor children under 5. Where is the funding for this coming from?

Would there be legal grounds to sue the school, the school district or the teacher personally if a shooter DID get in and shot up kids regardless of the gun being around anyway? Shouldn't the teacher, now armed, been able to have prevented any deaths in their classroom?

Shouldn't underpaid teachers be paid more for having to have sharpshooting skills?

And why does anyone think having someone armed will prevent this from happening again? Why are MORE guns the answer? Again, how much weaponry was at Ft. Hood during that massacre? That is the largest military installation in the world, pretty sure there was some heavy duty weapons around.

And what about V Tech? Two armed cops on campus at the time, yet over 30 died.

The Columbine Cop fired four shots at Harris but missed. Another cop was there in minutes, and also fired and missed.

My point is that arming teachers is not the answer. A lot of campuses have armed cops already yet it hasn't solved the problem. Because it keeps happening.
    They were probably all disarmed while on base in the U.S. since it's not a warzone. I suggest teachers take a pay cut and hire armed security guards if they can't pay for their own gun or training with their all ready high salary.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's unnecessary to have a gun. That should be common sense.

If we didn't hand off guns to lunatics, we wouldn't feel the need to arm anyone...

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote WintersTale View Post
    It's unnecessary to have a gun. That should be common sense.

If we didn't hand off guns to lunatics, we wouldn't feel the need to arm anyone...
    I'm not trying to start trouble man but these types of comments are really testing my patience. Where do you even get the idea that people are selling guns to people they know are lunatics? They're not. Or that precautions that our government has set in place aren't being taken already? They ARE.

Having a gun is not necessary huh? Do you know martial arts? Are you able to stop someone else's bullet with that martial arts? Are you a master with knives or something? Or does the idea of someone violating your rights possibly killing you in your own home just sound like fun to you? Your opinion isn't a common one, and i'm glad it isn't. Most people don't enjoy being victims.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote bigdaddy View Post
    To protect the kids. In their waistband covered by their shirt. Teachers make 60-70k a year and only work a total of 3 months on 2 months off so they are OVER paid and even get perks like weekends off. Like I said, there's alot of teachers who are into firearms and shooting, let those who wanna carry, carry.
    Teachers possessing guns on school property is just crazy.

Secondly, not many teachers make 60-70k per year except the very experienced ones.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Post V-Tech Lawsuit Links:

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-03-14/j...?_s=PM:JUSTICE

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...mxET_blog.html

Columbine:

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/20/us...-lawsuits.html

Want more....google more.

The problem is that not everyone has the luxury of sending their kids to private school or homeschooling them. Most households require BOTH parents to work. I was a single parent and there is no way I could afford private school and due to working, homeschooling wasnt an option. There are millions of families that have more limited options. Not everyone can afford to spend tens of thousands a year on private school or not work and homeschool.

Although there are a great many schools that have "campus cops" the suggestion has been made post-Sandy Hook that an armed guard of some kind should be installed at EVERY school in America. That is quite an ambitious goal and an unrealistic one as well. I don't see it as answer and you say you don't care. I think if people actually want that then it has to come from the bloated military budget which needs to be cut down to size anyway. It should fall under domestic terrorism which is exactly what it is.

As for "Big Daddy"'s remark about teachers taking a pay cut---what on earth are you talking about? Teachers hardly make anything anyway. The reported 60 or 70 usually falls in areas like NY or SF where that is a pittance compared to the cost of living. Where I live teachers make as low as 38,500 starting and a median of 44,400. Hardly living the good life. And now you want them to be armed guards too? That is just ludicrous. And while you dismiss Ft. Hood, the fact is there was more weaponry there, there are ALWAYS armed guards on duty (haven't you ever been on a base) and with all that it still didn't stop it.

MORE GUNS ISN'T THE ANSWER.

Mind you I am not ANTI GUN though. A rational, law abiding citizen shouldn't be denied the right to a gun because of nutjobs. But arming classrooms is just not the answer and could potentially cause more problems than it solves.
    "You can never really know a person and if you think you can, you're living in a fucking dream world!" David Fisher, Six Feet Under

pam's Avatar needs more cowbell
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    MORE GUNS ISN'T THE ANSWER.

Mind you I am not ANTI GUN though. A rational, law abiding citizen shouldn't be denied the right to a gun because of nutjobs. But arming classrooms is just not the answer and could potentially cause more problems than it solves.
    Go Winekitty! (I'm too lazy to join in to the argument and everyone must have skipped over my post above anyway).

To the bold above, not "could" but "will" cause more problems. It's just a matter of time before innocent people, probably kids again, get killed with the gun that was supposed to protect them....then what will people want to do to fix THAT one?

I like your posts.

And I don't think your view is uncommon at all.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think arming teachers is the solution. They just have to have increased security and metal detectors. A lot of American inner city schools have it that way anyway to curb gang violence.

It's sad, but this is an increasingly unsafe world.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I personally don't care about arming teachers or not. I care because you liberal gun grabbers want to ban all guns.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote bigdaddy View Post
    I personally don't care about arming teachers or not. I care because you liberal gun grabbers want to ban all guns.
    Lol, not all dems are anti gun. They just shouldn't be in the wrong hands or in inappropriate situations such as classrooms.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote bigdaddy View Post
    Blanket and erroneous statement. Please provide evidence to support this erroneous statement. My guess: You can't.
    "You can never really know a person and if you think you can, you're living in a fucking dream world!" David Fisher, Six Feet Under

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote pam View Post
    Go Winekitty! (I'm too lazy to join in to the argument and everyone must have skipped over my post above anyway).

To the bold above, not "could" but "will" cause more problems. It's just a matter of time before innocent people, probably kids again, get killed with the gun that was supposed to protect them....then what will people want to do to fix THAT one?

I like your posts.

And I don't think your view is uncommon at all.

Thank you very much and your avatar is making me hungry!!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    More guns are not the answer, though in a country that is so entwined in gun culture it is hard to know what the answer is , if there is in fact a solution to be made.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Homeschooling isn't the cure, because you are just as likely to be shot in a mall, while shopping, as you are when you sitting in a school.

The problem is guns. And as long as people stick their fingers in their ears and go "lalalala" when they are faced with the problem OF guns, we will continue having these mass shooting sprees.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.