CeCe's Avatar Diamond Girl
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HappyHappy
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Not telling the truth to the doctor

Those stupid Anxiety and depression sheets they give you to fill in the bubble. Some of the questions even though feeling a 7 or sometimes a 10 on the questions, I downplay them and put a " 2 or 3" for the bubbles.

Some of the questions:

"How often do you find it hard to leave the house" = a at least 8, as I'm home almost daily, for weeks. I would put a 3.

"How often do you think of suicide" = More then I should admit, to embarrassed to even put I think of it.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm often embarrassed to tell the doctor the full truth. One good thing about the bubble sheets you should keep in mind, normally they don't talk about them out-loud, as they know it's a hard subject to talk about to the patients.

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I used to downplay severity out of embarrassment too. Honestly though, they've seen it all before, and worse. They don't really remember you when they go home at night.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You could try writing your doctor a letter how you really feel, if this bothers you.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote CeCe View Post

"How often do you find it hard to leave the house" = a at least 8, as I'm home almost daily, for weeks. I would put a 3.

"How often do you think of suicide" = More then I should admit, to embarrassed to even put I think of it.
    ^ poster above me has a good idea.

Basically, I can understand why you might be embarrassed but they really truly have probably seen worse, and you aren't doing yourself any favours by not being truthful, you know? Your therapist is there to guide you and help you and that is really difficult for them if they don't know where you are at the moment. Therapy is tailored to suit the individual and often with CBT you create a hierarchy of fears. If you put a 3 for something that is really an 8, your therapist might expect you to overcome that hurdle first. So it is really best if you are totally completely honest so that therapy is a pleasant experience for you instead of scary, and so that you don't feel rushed or pressured.

It would also be good to explore the feelings of embarrassment with your therapist because that seems really important, BUT it's okay to delay that a little until you feel a little more comfortable. Just work on being more honest for now.

panda's Avatar Member
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Downplaying is not a good idea at all. So is exaggeration. I think you should try to be as honest as possible specially with these worksheets where doctors tend to get a sense on how bad your anxiety is. It is not the only way to determine it but it helps (otherwise they won't ask you to fill it up in the first place). Putting a 2/3 when it should've been an 8 would make it seem like you're a normal person instead of someone with social anxiety. I mean everyone gets anxious once in a while.

Unlike physical illness, doctor's need your thoughts and input in order to gauge your mental health. Lying about it leads to wrong diagnosis. Wrong diagnosis equals wrong treatment.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.