Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Half of world food goes to waste, global study says

Source: NBC News

As much as half of the food produced worldwide ends up being thrown away every year because shoppers are too choosy about the appearance of fruit and vegetables, a report said Thursday.

The world produces about four billion metric tonnes of food a year but up 2 billion tonnes is never eaten, the global study by the London-based Institution of Mechanical Engineers said.

The organisation lays the blame at every step of the food chain, from farming practices to consumers.

"With current practices wasting up to 50 percent of all food produced, engineers need to act now and promote sustainable ways to reduce waste from the farm to the supermarket and to the consumer," the report said.

Read more: http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...tudy-says?lite

Instead of throwing it away, donate it to food banks and food pantries. Today they
    don't even bother sending vegetables that are not perfectly shaped to the stores. The farms throw them away instead if the are not perfect. People that are hungry don't care if a tomato is not perfectly round or if a carrot has two bottoms.
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't know there are actually people out there who care about fruits and veggies looking perfect.... you're gonna cut that sh*t up and cook it anyway, so wow.. o_o

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Jcgrey View Post
    Instead of throwing it away, donate it to food banks and food pantries.
    I honestly don't know why they don't do this more. Bakeries, cafes and other places throw out tonnes of perfectly good food just because nobody bought it that day.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Antidote View Post
    I honestly don't know why they don't do this more. Bakeries, cafes and other places throw out tonnes of perfectly good food just because nobody bought it that day.
    I've been told that even the employees can't take home whatever's left over. It's pretty messed up. I have a friend who used to work at a nice restaurant and so much food was tossed out at the end of the day. He LOVES food just as much I do and if they were allowed to take the food home, he would have done so in a heart beat. It makes no sense as to why these restaurants just toss it all out instead of donating it to food banks or letting the employees take the stuff home.

falling down's Avatar fallen and can't get up
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I believe it, just watch Restaurant Impossible. Chef Robert Irvine usually orders everything on the menu at each restaurant, takes 1 bite out of everything and throws all the food in the trash. I believe he accounts for at least a 1/3 of half the worlds food going to waste, 60% of the time, every time.
    Heath Ledger system engaged. Commence Amy Winehouse self destruction mode.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's sickening when you think of how many people could actually use the food.
    "You can never really know a person and if you think you can, you're living in a fucking dream world!" David Fisher, Six Feet Under

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yes it is WineKitty
    “Never forget who you are for surely the world won't. Make it your strength, then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it and, it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister

pam's Avatar needs more cowbell
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I always try to buy fruit and vegetables from the local farmer on the side of the road in the warmer months here because they taste better too. I'm old enough to remember when tomatoes tasted tomato-ey, if you know what I mean. And green pepper's skin wasn't so thick, tasteless and full of water, but tasted like a damn pepper.

I would definitely eat a carrot with two bottoms! I'd hold it up and say "Look, twins!"

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I do my best not to waste food. My rats helped finish up every last bit of our Thanksgiving turkey. They went absolutely crazy over the neck & other parts that are shoved inside the caucus (apparently for no purpose other than to increase weight). Rats love damn near everything except rat chow, so I give them the table scraps which they find simply delicious.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I work in a cafe inside a big supermarket in England..The amount of food the shop throws away is unreal. I have to take the rubbish to a compactor most days to be chucked and theres always crates and crates of food that is waiting to be thrown away..Most of it isnt even out of date or only a day or two out of date..I saw some cans of food that were still in date but had tiny little dents in it so they can't be sold..It makes me mad to think theres people starving out there and supermarkets are chucking tonns away..I don't think they can send the food to homeless shelters just incase someone gets food posioning and the shop gets in trouble blah blah..

Skippy's Avatar Pickin' and Grinnin'!
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Wow, when there's freakin' people starving out there, why don't they bloody well give such food to people who will appreciate it?? Then they whine about
    undeveloped countries n' [BEEP] for drama's sake. I would say, on top of half the world's food going to waste, I think at least half the fucking world's population's brains have gone to waste. LOL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well said, Skippy!

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.