Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Is depression a real illness? Or is it self pity.

A post on here has made me wonder this. I have been diagnosed with having major depressive disorder, among a host of other things. I battle with being my depression on an almost daily basis. I'll save you the troubles of the last several years of my life. But When I feel depressed, it's deep agonizing pain that can't be described. Some would argue to just snap out of it. or Stop pitying yourself. But the pain is real. and can be unbearable at times. I spend many night crying myself to sleep.

I am doing everything I can to help my depression. Among my other illnesses. I see both a psychiatrist and psychologist regularly, I do what they say and suggest. I take my meds. I TRY to exercise as much as I can. I don't know what else there is I can do to get better. I try, I try SOO hard. Some days i'm ok, but other days I fall apart and have a complete breakdown. To me, depression is a real illness, and it hurts like HELL.
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes it is. As is SA and GAD. I experience all three.

Last night was a rough night for me also. I had to take more of my meds than what is prescribed to get on top of the anxiety but I also had depression, and the Klonopin I take does NOTHING for depression.

I don't have any answers--because I go through the same thing. But it's not just in your head or something you can snap out of as some would tell you. But we do have to keep on trying and staying the course with the meds. I think it's awesome that you are getting therapy. I have pretty much given up on that but might buy a CBT workbook to do on my own.
    "You can never really know a person and if you think you can, you're living in a fucking dream world!" David Fisher, Six Feet Under

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    edit:

i'm deleting this post but basically, it's real and there's biology to back it up.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^^Chantellabella, I have no idea what you are referring to? I was simply answering the question asked in this thread. My post was about this thread and this thread only.
    "You can never really know a person and if you think you can, you're living in a fucking dream world!" David Fisher, Six Feet Under

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah basically what coffee posted, a chemical imbalance or something like that. positive thinking, yoga, good diet, exercise and generally being strong will possibly make things better. If something isn't working and you know you've tried it rightly and enough then try something else. etc etc. I'm currently trying lexapro and therapy aannddd trying yoga again and trying to get enough exercise when I can... been eating too much this week though xP

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    yes, JcGrey, it's an illness. And yes, it is not self pity.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I still don't know what you were referring to it. Sorry if what I said upset you. I don't even know what it is I said that did. I didn't read any other thread.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I know there is Depression which is an illness many people suffer, me being one of them. I can remember feeling depressed at 11. Though at the time I didn't know exactly what I was feeling. I also know there is self pity. I've heard the term Wallowing in self pity before. I guess I'm trying to find the line between the two definitions. Like they say Google is your friend. I'm going to do a but of reading about this.

"The sky calls to us

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote WineKitty View Post
    I still don't know what you were referring to it. Sorry if what I said upset you. I don't even know what it is I said that did. I didn't read any other thread.
    It was a huge misunderstanding that happened in the frustration thread. I promise, my post wasn't directed at you at all. I kinda went a bit nuts and well, everybody got caught in the crossfire. I promise though, you didn't do anything. I'm sorry.

JcGrey, wallowing is a bad word that I used. I'm sorry.

Sometimes, depression gets so muddled that we don't even know what it is. It's a really bad feeling, even when things around us are going ok.

For me, the difference of depression and feeling sorry for myself is feeling versus thinking. Depression to me is when I feel sad for no reason. Feeling sorry for myself is when I don't want to let my abusers and bullies off the hook and my brain tells me over and over that they hurt me. Then my thinking that I got hurt makes me sad. But when I let it go, I can feel happy. Actual depression is when there's no problem bothering you and no reason to be sad. You just feel sad even if things are going good around you.

I probably am making no sense. Sorry.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    You make perfect sense. No need to apologize. Your support is always welcomed and appreciated!

"The sky calls to us

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Depression is one of the "big beasts" of illnesses.

There may be "self pity" going on when someone has depression or is depressed. But self pity is not depression.

Depression can be a very real pain and hurt like hell. It can also be a "quiet problem" in that people who have it don't often seek help or voice their concerns or ask for help. Respect to the OP for loving themselves enough to get help and treatment for depression. Whatever else may be going on, taking that step took some serious courage.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know. I'd say it depends on how severe it is.
    “When you stop blaming others for where you are in life, that is when you can start to manifest your dream life!”
    ― Stephen Richards

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Depression is definitely real.

As far as it being an illness, does it stop your progress as a human being? Does it make things difficult? Do you wear your depression like chains around your neck?

If the answer to all these is yes, then yes it is an illness. And I can relate, because my depression and anxiety are terrible things for me as well.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, depression is a real illness. Sometimes terminal even.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes depression is real, it even shows up on brain imaging scans.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.