View Poll Results: What's your favorite Star Trek series?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Original Series

2 14.29%
  • The Next Generation

4 28.57%
  • Deep Space Nine

3 21.43%
  • Voyager

2 14.29%
  • Enterprise

0 0%
  • Star Trek 2009 (Reboot)

1 7.14%
  • I don't like Star Trek and wish to voice my disapproval.

2 14.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Finally admitting I'm a closet trekkie. The truth sets you freeee.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, what a good question that is hard for me to answer. I'm a Trekkie myself and love TOS, TNG, and DS9 (which I am currently watching a marathon of with my husband). VOY I used to turn on only to watch Neelix because I liked his character (there was also a Q episode I remember liking as a kid too) and ENT.... I just hated the puke out of ENT.

My favorite characters would be: Spock, McCoy, Odo, Kira, Quark, Garak, O'Brien, Picard, Finnegan (he's in the episode Shore Leave from TOS and that's all you ever see of him! Why couldn't he have been in the new movie, seriously) Trelane (another TOS 1 episode character from The Squire of Gothos, possibly the first Q to be seen) and Data. I also have some special pairings I like.

I'm gonna say, I liked the rebooted movie as well. I was pregnant when I went to see it in theaters the day it came out and I have never once felt so much love pour out from the audience than when Nimoy popped onto the screen. The theater erupted in a wave of applause and cheers. That is my favorite moment when I think of going to the movies. For those who couldn't get into the idea, before I went, I stuck the idea in my head that this is just someone's 'version' of what happened, or that it's an alternate timeline, so I still personally can accept it as part of the Trek universe. The next movie I'm not sure of yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll go see it.

In any case, I guess I'll go with TNG as my favorite because it was what really got me into Star Trek in the first place.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I hear you about Leonard Nimoy. He is definitely an icon who represents something more than a character. He's pretty much what Star Trek, the future, and a whole new world is all about. I have to admit, I applauded also.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote chantellabella View Post
    I hear you about Leonard Nimoy. He is definitely an icon who represents something more than a character. He's pretty much what Star Trek, the future, and a whole new world is all about. I have to admit, I applauded also.
    Exactly, he's a great person all around x3

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    TNG
    Voyager
    TOS / DS9 / Enterprise

My first Star Trek experience was TNG. I'm not old enough to remember the TOS era so I've never really taken much interest in anything prior to TNG. I'd have to say its my favourite...lots of interesting characters, plenty of fighting, a big Galaxy Class ship etc.

Voyager and Enterprise were both good ideas, but many of the characters let them down. I think with Voyager that fact you had a ship exploring unknown space was its strength...there was so much scope for creativity and you had an over-arching storyline right from the first episode. It made me want to keep watching it.

DS9 did develop a good storyline in the later series but I was never a big fan early on. I think the fact that Babylon 5 came on TV not long after DS9 started meant you had something to compare it with and IMO B5 was leagues better.

The movies are great though. I think Star Trek works well in the movie format, much like Star Wars does. Although the series allowed a lot of stories to be written and ideas to be generated I always found the serialised weekly episodes a bit dissapointing compared to the much more epic movies.

distancing's Avatar Sir Lurksalot
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Knuff View Post
    I'm a Trekkie myself and love TOS, TNG, and DS9 (which I am currently watching a marathon of with my husband).
    *high-five* I wanna do another DS9 marathon sometime. Or possibly a TNG one, since I never really got around to watching the huge chunks I've missed. Gotta ask, which pairings do you like? I'm one of those shameless Garak/Bashir shippers. Also various McSpirk iterations and Odo/Kira. And Weyoun/anyone.

Quote Dane View Post
    One more thing I have to mention, combining Star Trek with SA, is that the minor TNG character Barclay? painfully reminded me of myself at the time that I first saw that episode. My SA was at it's peak in those years.
    Thanks for mentioning Barclay! I don't remember seeing any episodes with him until fairly recently, but his character resonated deeply with me. "'Just shy.' Sounds like nothing serious, doesn't it? You can't know."

Quote tal View Post
    Voyager and Enterprise were both good ideas, but many of the characters let them down. I think with Voyager that fact you had a ship exploring unknown space was its strength...there was so much scope for creativity and you had an over-arching storyline right from the first episode. It made me want to keep watching it.

DS9 did develop a good storyline in the later series but I was never a big fan early on. I think the fact that Babylon 5 came on TV not long after DS9 started meant you had something to compare it with and IMO B5 was leagues better.
    DS9 did start off really rough, which was why I gave up on it pretty early on when I was a kid... unfortunately, that was just before it started getting great. I still haven't seen a whole lot of B5, but can understand why some people prefer it to DS9. Allegedly, Paramount stole J. Michael Straczynski's idea (he pitched it to them, and they turned him down) and managed to get their show on the air first. And I get the impression that there was a lot more leeway with creating a more "serial"/cohesive show with B5. They gave the DS9 writing team a lot of room, too, but some of the show's producers were never particularly comfortable with that format.

Agree about the wasted potential with Voyager and ENT (although apparently, Enterprise was just starting to gel around the time the series was cancelled). The thing that kept putting me off of Voyager is that they DID start out with a really grandiose storyline (stranded in the Delta Quadrant) which pretty much *demanded* plot and character development... but then it's like they stubbornly avoided both and went back to the "reset button" formula of TNG. Still had some good characters and episodes, though.

And as everyone else is saying, Leonard Nimoy is an amazing, amazing person.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote distancing View Post
    *high-five* I wanna do another DS9 marathon sometime. Or possibly a TNG one, since I never really got around to watching the huge chunks I've missed. Gotta ask, which pairings do you like? I'm one of those shameless Garak/Bashir shippers. Also various McSpirk iterations and Odo/Kira. And Weyoun/anyone.
    Oh man, I LOVE doing Star Trek marathons in general, even if they take such a long time to get through, it's just fun. I need to do a TNG one at some point too, I know I haven't seen it all. Have to be pretty committed to watch all 7 seasons! Hmm, pairings. Well I actually am into most of the ones you mentioned, Odo/Kira, Garak/Bashir, anything involving McCoy/Kirk/Spock with each other; I haven't REALLY seen Weyoun yet so he's not in my list yet. With other pairs, let's see... Data/Yar, O'Brien/Bashir, Odo/Lwaxana, Spock/Chapel, Dukat/Kira... <wracks brain> Pretty much what I've got. x3

Oh, actually I'm not sure if anybody's mentioned Walter Koenig, but when I was younger I would look at Chekov and have no opinion of Koenig's acting ability. UNTIL I saw him as the bad guy in Babylon 5. And holy crap, you would not think based on TOS that he could act but in Babylon 5 all I could do was stare in shock because I KNEW who he was, but his acting just had nothing to do with what I'd expected from him. I give props to that man.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote distancing View Post
    Allegedly, Paramount stole J. Michael Straczynski's idea (he pitched it to them, and they turned him down) and managed to get their show on the air first.
    Yes this is true from what I've read, but I think as the two shows got past their first series they diverged a bit and JMS became less unhappy about his idea having been 'stolen' (probably a little unfair to say they stole it since DS9 does have a lot of original ideas in its basic storyline). Ultimately they did end up being quite different shows, but perhaps it was a good thing they rejected JMS otherwise B5 could have ended up being half as good as it was.

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The Temporal cold war. I never understand why this was introduced in the beginning of the series and made a sub plot throughout the series. Then the ending. A holodeck in the TNG universe. Ahh soo many confusing things going on with ENT. I think ENT would have mad a good series with better writing.
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.