Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I found the whole experience of CBT helpful, I worked on self consciousness, self image, social anxiety amongst other things. I found a few books helpful too: Overcoming Low Self Esteem by Melanie Fennell and Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness by Gillian Butler

pam's Avatar needs more cowbell
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I listened to a video on YouTube about CBT yesterday trying to pretend I haven't already learned about this is college, etc. I tried to listen to it as if it was the first time, and that I know nothing....and it was ok.....But what i don't like is how they used, (as an example of what you could use CBT on), someone who is afraid to cross the street. That's not really a psychological diagnosis--well, ok, yes, it's technically a Specific Phobia. But how common is that? ...I wish that when learning about CBT, they would use a "bigger" or wider problem like PTSD of a soldier, or chronic depression, or a personality disorder. Something that involves more of the whole person, their feelings etc. Otherwise I will continue to believe that CBT is only good for things such as fear of heights or spiders. But whether one is afraid of spiders or not, that's not going to influence one's self-esteem or personality etc.

To me it seems like the public "claims" and reputation of what CBT can help with, are bigger than what it really does help with. There are so many people who have SA and yet CBT doesn't cure them of it. I think this is why--it's not a narrow enough of a problem for CBT to work on. It involves our feelings about OURSELVES and our identity too much (rather than just about falling from a height), and maybe that's why it's not that effective.

I mean CBT is really easy to do, anyone can do it (i think), so why are we not all cured? I think it's because SA (especially generalized type) is not something it can cure. But what if you have anxiety only in one area such as oral presentations? Then I think it could help for that because it's narrow enough. It's like that's just a slice of your day, not the whole pie of who you are.....Hope that makes sense.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote pam View Post
    I listened to a video on YouTube about CBT yesterday trying to pretend I haven't already learned about this is college, etc. I tried to listen to it as if it was the first time, and that I know nothing....and it was ok.....But what i don't like is how they used, (as an example of what you could use CBT on), someone who is afraid to cross the street. That's not really a psychological diagnosis--well, ok, yes, it's technically a Specific Phobia. But how common is that? ...I wish that when learning about CBT, they would use a "bigger" or wider problem like PTSD of a soldier, or chronic depression, or a personality disorder. Something that involves more of the whole person, their feelings etc. Otherwise I will continue to believe that CBT is only good for things such as fear of heights or spiders. But whether one is afraid of spiders or not, that's not going to influence one's self-esteem or personality etc.
    I know this post was from MONTHS ago, but I was looking through this thread right now since I am trying to get into CBT again. I keep telling myself I'll do it, but then... I don't.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who is irritated with the same thing you mentioned. I always see such examples when I am searching around for advice and whatnot regarding anxiety...how to overcome it, how to stop over-thinking, etc. But they always give such mundane examples that I alreadyyyyy know how to do or get over. One example I came across yesterday was overcoming the fear of heights... and how one should overcome it by taking risks and giving skydiving a try. It's like... ok, totally not relatable. I am a bit scared of heights but it, in no way, does it drastically affect my day-to-day life.

I do have faith that CBT will help me, I just have to think beyond the dumb examples given. I know I can somehow apply things to whatever (bigger) fears I have... but sometimes, these weird examples kind of discourage me and make me think I'm doomed and nothing else will help. Will still try to work with CBT again though...

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote pam View Post
    I am interested in knowing where CBT techniques successfully worked with you. It could be with a CBT therapist, or on your own with books and workbooks, etc. I've seen a lot of people say it works with them, but they never give any specific examples of how or what, sooooooo....

If you can, would you

1. List one or two thoughts/beliefs that you were able to change (as a result of challenging beliefs). and
    2. What behaviors are you able to now do that you couldn't do before (as a result of desensitization thru exposures).

I think the answers could help other people see what kinds of things one can change and maybe give other people ideas of what to do. I personally don't have a lot of faith in it, and instead am helped by other techniques, so it will be really nice for me to see people really are helped with CBT.
    That's mainly what my trauma therapist uses on me because let's face it.............my thoughts are pretty distorted.

I was able to rethink many things:
    1) I wasn't guilty for things out of my control or when I was a child
    2) I am in control now
    3) I'm not crazy or bad or evil

What behaviors am I able to do now:
    1) I can control losing time during the day
    2) I can control my strong emotions
    3) I can breathe (believe me that one was hard. I tend to hold my breath when I'm scared)
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.