Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Natural Yosemite 'Firefall' at Horsetail Fal.l Would love to see this in person

For a few weeks in February, if the water is flowing in Horsetail Fall, photographers and park visitors gather in the waning evening light for an amazing natural display. The 'natural firefall' appears when the angle of the setting sun sets the waterfall ablaze with reds and oranges, like a fire was falling down the cliffs on the shoulder of El Capitan.

Where:
    The most convenient, and frequently shot view of Horsetail Fall is at the El Capitan picnic area, approximately 1.7 miles past Yosemite Lodge at the Falls on Northside Drive. In late February, you’ll often see rows of photographers of all levels there catching the last rays of light in the evening.
    Of course, the most unique images often come from photographers willing to explore for different angles and locations that also capture the light of the Fall. According to local professional photographer, Nancy Robbins, there are many places that work. Just look for places where the falls will be backlit by the setting sun, such as along the river, or along the rim.

When:
    The ‘firefall’ is typically the most stunning during middle to late February. However, the natural firefall effect depends on conditions for the year, and photographers may be luckier before or after that time frame depending on the amount of water flow in Horsetail Fall, and the cloud cover.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/horsetail-fall.aspx
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ...wow.... that is.... I don't even know what to say besides "I must see this in person... like, now." This is pretty awesome.

Just curious, have you ever been to Yosemite, Jcgrey? We been there before but we didn't drive far enough to be able to see the Half Dome since it felt like the road was going on forever and ever. Fearing we'd get lost or something, my dad just turned around and headed straight to San Francisco..another main destination of ours lol.

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I've been once when I was younger. Spectacular scenery. We went on some hikes. I It was a pretty rushed trip though, unfortunately. I wanted to go to the top of half dome and see the view, but we didn't have time. It's a long hike at 16 miles round trip. I've been meaning to go back since, but just haven't been able too.
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.