Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Being hungry

One in five US children go to bed every night without food
    They go to sleep hungry and wake up hungry. Their main meal of the day is their school lunch.

In many families, millions of children, the kids get to take turns eating dinner. Tonight it's Billy's turn to eat, and his sister Sarah can watch and wait for her turn tomorrow. And while this is going on we are passing permanent tax cuts for the wealthy -- and there are people here posting about how hard it is to get by on only 30K a month.

I used to help run a charity event for the poor kids in my area. We raised about 70K a year and even penny went to help provide something for local poor kids at Christmas. We would take these kids Christmas shopping at Walmart, no parents allowed. We tried to make sure that every kid got at least one toy they wanted, but most of them had other ideas about what would make a good present.

It's pretty sad when some little girl tells you that she really wants a coat for herself because she doesn't have one, and they have no heat in their house. These are kids, and in my little county alone there were more kids getting nothing than we had money to help.

I have been hungry myself. I'm not now, TODAY, because my wife went to the food bank on Friday. I just had three pieces of bread. Score!
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Behind many of those hungry kids is an irresponsible parent. Yeah, I know I'll be crucified for saying that.

I'm not qualified to raise kids, thus I avoid having kids. It would be nice to see others do the same instead of creating a herd of hungry kids they damn well knew they'd be unable to feed.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    FlirtyFlirty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree that you shouldn't have kids unless you can be responsible for those kids, and that means being able to supply the basic needs for those children. But, even with that being said, the children are here and there should never be a hungry child in this country. Right now if the best we can do is supply healthy meals for the kids in school - breakfast and lunch - that is a good thing.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no one's definition of your life;
    Define Yourself
    -Robert Frost-

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Tinkerbell View Post
    Right now if the best we can do is supply healthy meals for the kids in school - breakfast and lunch - that is a good thing.
    Yeah, it must be done, though it's a sad commentary on America when our schools have turned into parents, having to feed them breakfast, feed them lunch, and educate them. There was a time when schools were simply in the education business, though with many big city high schools having a 50% dropout rate, they don't even do that well. Will schools next be called upon to serve dinner and provide clothing too?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    FlirtyFlirty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^There are a lot of schools that do that already, my ex is a teacher and they have winter coat and shoe donations for the kids that attend his junior high. The school has a PTA that does not include any 'P's', they just don't show up. Some local schools have full bathrooms at the elementary level so that the kids can have a shower and get clean. He believes that the teachers are so busy being social workers that they don't have time to teach. A sad commentary indeed that our schools have turned into parenting, and I don't know of one teacher that could walk away from filling that need.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no one's definition of your life;
    Define Yourself
    -Robert Frost-

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Maybe they shouldn't have kids then

Ayn rand... natural selection .... etc.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.