Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Makes sense, if it's a partial agonist of D2 then it might be stimulating these receptors in the pancreas rather than blocking them which could be beneficial. Lacking significant blockade of H1/5-HT2c etc should help too vs eg: seroquel and zyprexa which mediate some of their increased appetite potential through those mechanisms.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Equinox View Post
    Makes sense, if it's a partial agonist of D2 then it might be stimulating these receptors in the pancreas rather than blocking them which could be beneficial. Lacking significant blockade of H1/5-HT2c etc should help too vs eg: seroquel and zyprexa which mediate some of their increased appetite potential through those mechanisms.
    Yeah, it's unique properties seem to have a lot more positives then negatives. I will see. I am on day 4 at 2.5mg. I will probably stay at this dose for awhile. If I get positive results with a lower dose, the better. I see my pdoc tomorrow and I can almost guarantee he will want me to stay at 2.5mg for at least a month or more. It may not be necessary to adjust at all. So far side effects are pretty much nil. Except for increased energy levels and no akathisia!

Aripiprazole's mechanism of action is different from those of the other FDA-approved atypical antipsychotics (e.g., clozapine,olanzapine, quetiapine, ziprasidone, and risperidone). Rather than antagonizing the D2 receptor, aripiprazole acts as a D2partial agonist.[44][45] Aripiprazole is also a partial agonist at the 5-HT1A receptor, and like the other atypical antipsychotics displays an antagonist profile at the 5-HT2A receptor.[46][47] It also antagonizes the 5-HT7 receptor and acts as a partial agonist at the 5-HT2Creceptor, both with high affinity. The latter action may underlie the minimal weight gain seen in the course of therapy.[48]Aripiprazole has moderate affinity for histamine, α-adrenergic, and D4 receptors as well as the serotonin transporter, while it has no appreciable affinity for cholinergic muscarinic receptors.[43]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aripiprazole

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is one of the studies that I was looking for. It shows how the different AP's stack up against each other. Abilify's stats on the side-effects rating graph/chart are very good!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...MdsApEekEeo63Q

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Day 7 (I think)
    I took my normal 2.5mg dose in the morning, and I can't believe what happened.
    Nothing absolutely nothing, except I have not had any negative reactions to the med. at all including, no akathisia. If anything it gives me a small jumpstart. Hopefully it will potentiate my AD. I also learned that like Buspar, as a partial 5HT1a partial agonist. It is much more robust. Also, prolactin levels are lowered by the fact that as D2 pa., the % of active DA will not raise above 20-30%. Large amounts of active DA raises prolactin. Most of the other AP's raise prolactin because of DA2 antagonism= higher prolactin.

Link to high prolactin levels, causes and effects.Note the mention of DA agonists in helping with this issue:
    http://www.uptodate.com/contents/hig...ond-the-basics

I have used atypicals before and because they are antagonists to some or all of these M1-5, H1 and a1. Which will knock you out or make you very tired.

Chart with comparisons of what receptor sites are affected by some atypicals and side effect profiles plus other good stuff!
    http://www.psychresidentonline.com/a...psychotics.htm

Finally,I am going to play a DOCTOROFTHEMIND video about Abilify. In it he not only believes can be considered a 3rd generation anti-psychotic, but also perhaps should be removed from that category all together. He gives a very unbiased approach to the med. Saying at one point , this isn't some cure all. Anyway it is good info. If you have seen his videos: He looks crazy. He does that to get the viewers attention by day he combs his hair and works for a state hospital as a licensed psychiatrist. So, he knows his stuff. Especially pdocs who work in state run hospitals! He also got into trouble with these vids.from the psychiatric community! He rocks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=2X8TrIp57iE

Chart with comparisons and breakdowns ogf and α1- antagonism

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^Nice links.

I found another chart comparing AP side effects:

Antipsychotic relative adverse effects.jpg

For reference;

Extrapyramidal symptoms: Movement related symptoms including akathisia (inner restlessness), dystonia (muscle tension/contractions), Dyskinesias (rapid blinking), Pseudoparkinsonism: (cogwheel rigidity, resting tremor).
    Anticholinergic side effects: Dry mouth, constipation, urinary hesitancy.
    Hypotension: Dizziness, low blood pressure, sinus congestion.
    Prolactin Elevation: Raised amount of the hormone Prolactin (also know as Hyperprolactinaemia), side effects associated with this state can include sexual dysfunction, weight gain and secretion of breast milk.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    DOCTOROFMIND- Abilify (aripiprazole)

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote JaneDoe View Post
    I love Abilify. It has saved my life in more ways than one. Not only did it end my feelings of suicide, it has greatly helped with my anxiety. It is also the only thing, including therapy, that has ever helped with my social anxiety. It began working within one week of taking it. I was put on it last Spring, around May or so. For the first time since I was a kid, I was able to go to my family's Thanksgiving and Christmas functions. I usually spend the holidays alone out of fear. I also spent a great deal of time at the lake during the summer, which was something I have been unable to do since moving near the lake 5 years ago. I was too afraid to go before. I've done a lot of new things since being put on the Abilify, things I couldn't have done before. No matter what anyone says about it, I'll always be grateful to it and to whomever created it.

I take 5mg's, btw. I started out with either .5 or 1 mg.
    Same here. But my therapist took me off of it because she said it was more for people with schizophrenic - type indicators. I wasn't sure what that meant, exactly, but she said I didn't fall under that category, it was too strong a psychiatric drug for me...and something else I forget now.

I just remember I took a low dose and a week after starting it, I felt a huge improvement in my depression and anxiety. I mean, I felt almost normal - or how I used to feel before everything happened.

It didn't cause me to gain weight. In fact, whereas I could never get myself mentally "ready" to diet again, I was able to get back on a diet and lose about 10 lbs while taking it. It really did just put my broken pieces together for awhile, but I only was able to take it for maybe two months before she took me off of it.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I realize this is a really old post but Im wondering how metamorphosis got along on abilify and if he had any success with it

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is this thread finished? My doctor wants me to add low dose Abilify to my antifepressant and Ativan in two weeks. I am concerned having read so much about problems withn Abilify. Any
    comments?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi marazion, I guess this is an old thread not any replies which is too bad because my doc wants me to start 1mg for two weeks and then move upto 2 mg. I am like you and am concerned about problems with abilify as well and was hoping for a review on here. Did you end up starting it?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Adding Abilify 2.5mg for depression and anxiety

I haven't tried it personally, but I know that it's a popular add-on (in low doses 1-2mg) to antidepressants. It seems to have some good efficacy in helping depression, especially anhedonia in this setting. Side effects should be low at these doses, perhaps a bit of restlessness (akathisia), anxiety and insomnia which may wear off as the body adjusts. Weight gain, sexual side effects and sedation are uncommon at low doses. It's successor Rexulti is supposedly a bit more sedating and can supposedly be used in the same manner as an add-on to treat depression for those who get or don't tolerate the anxiety from Abilify.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Equinox,

Just wondering if you know anyone thats been on it longterm with no negative sides. Im worried about developing DAWS or some sort of movement disorder that can develop with longterm anti-psychotics use. My shrink wants to add 1mg daily [BEEP] an add on antidepressant.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote jay89 View Post
    Thanks Equinox,

Just wondering if you know anyone thats been on it longterm with no negative sides. Im worried about developing DAWS or some sort of movement disorder that can develop with longterm anti-psychotics use. My shrink wants to add 1mg daily [BEEP] an add on antidepressant.
    I don't personally know anyone who's been on it, but on mental health forums a lot of people seem to take it. I don't think that it would cause DAWS seeing as it's a dopamine partial agonist rather than a full agonist.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Equinox that makes sense I just might try it and see.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    FDA warning about Abilify

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning that compulsive or uncontrollable urges to gamble, binge eat, shop, and have sex have been reported with the use of the antipsychotic drug aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristada, and generics). These uncontrollable urges were reported to have stopped when the medicine was discontinued or the dose was reduced. These impulse-control problems are rare, but they may result in harm to the patient and others if not recognized.

Although pathological gambling is listed as a reported side effect in the current aripiprazole drug labels, this description does not entirely reflect the nature of the impulse-control risk that we identified. In addition, we have become aware of other compulsive behaviors associated with aripiprazole, such as compulsive eating, shopping, and sexual actions. These compulsive behaviors can affect anyone who is taking the medicine. As a result, we are adding new warnings about all of these compulsive behaviors to the drug labels and the patient Medication Guides for all aripiprazole products.

Patients and caregivers should be alert for uncontrollable and excessive urges and behaviors while taking aripiprazole. It is important to talk with a health care professional as soon as possible if you or a family member experiences any of these uncontrollable urges, in order to prevent or limit possible harm. Patients should not suddenly stop taking their aripiprazole medicine without first talking to their health care professional.
    http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm498662.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.