Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

White Dwarfs May Hold The Key To Finding Alien Life

2/26/2013 @ 12:24AM |1,610 views
    White Dwarfs May Hold The Key To Finding Alien Life

At the end of one part of a star’s life, if it’s not massive enough to become a neutron star or black hole – which is the vast majority of stars – it will shed mass and eventually become a very dense type of star known as a white dwarf. White dwarves are no longer capable of the nuclear fusion that sustains our Sun and most other stars. However, its residual thermal energy is enough to sustain heat for billions of years as it slowly dissipates. Even white dwarves that are close in age to that of the universe still retain their heat.

It’s around these slowly dying stars that astronomers now think may show the first signs of life. At least, given the limits of our current technology. That’s the conclusion of researchers at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

“In the quest for extraterrestrial biological signatures, the first stars we study should be white dwarfs,” said theorist Avi Loeb in a CfA press release.

So far, no planets have been found in the “habitable zone” of a white dwarf star – an orbit where liquid water could exist on the surface of the planet. However, the researchers believe that a survey of 500 or so dwarf stars could discover such a planet.

More:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknap...ng-alien-life/
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

shelbster18's Avatar I'm a gangsta crayon.
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Now, that is so cool. I want to believe.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.