Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Official David Bowie appreciation thread

So I thought I'd start a thread for a musical genius. Bowie has a new album out, streaming on iTunes...and it is good. Very good.

Favorite songs? Albums? I thought I'd rank all 25 of his studio albums, since I'm bored.

1. Station To Station
    2. Heroes
    3. Low
    4. Scary Monsters
    5. Lodger
    6. Earthling
    7. Ziggy Stardust
    8. The Man Who Sold The World
    9. Aladdin Sane
    10.The Next Day
    11.Outside
    12.Space Oddity
    13.Hunky Dory
    14.Reality
    15.Heathen
    16.Hours
    17.The Buddha Of Suburbia
    18.Diamond Dogs
    19.Pin Ups
    20.Young Americans
    21.Let's Dance
    22.Black Tie White Noise
    23.Tonight
    24.Never Let Me Down
    25.David Bowie

distancing's Avatar Sir Lurksalot
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oooh, me too! Me too!

1. Low
    2. Station to Station
    3. Aladdin Sane
    4. Lodger
    5. Outside
    6. "Heroes"
    7. Scary Monsters
    8. Ziggy Stardust
    9. The Man Who Sold the World
    10. Hunky Dory
    11. Diamond Dogs
    12. Earthling
    13. Space Oddity
    14. Heathen
    15. Reality
    16. Hours
    17. Buddha of Suburbia
    18. Pin-Ups
    19. Black Tie White Noise
    20. Young Americans
    21. Let's Dance
    22. David Bowie
    23. Tonight
    ===THE FLAMES OF HELL BEGIN HERE===
    24. Never Let Me Down

I haven't heard The Next Day yet!! Gah. Need to remedy that ASAP.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    LOL@the Flames of Hell. I hate that album, too.

Tonight is actually a pretty decent album, if it was done by anybody else than Bowie.

And you'll love The Next Day. Imagine if Lodger, Low, Heroes, Scary Monsters, Ziggy Stardust, and Outside had a baby. That would be the new album.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I listened to the Ziggy Stardust album every day at school during my junior year of highschool. ​keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe! put your ray gun to my h-head! press your space face close to mine, love, freak out in a moonage daydream oooh yeah.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ziggy Stardust is good.

From the early period, though, I think Aladdin Sane is phenomenal. That album is so mindblowingly good. It's funny, because it was followed by a few albums that, while good, weren't THAT good (Pinups, Diamond Dogs, Young Americans)...and then came Station To Station, the Berlin Trilogy, and Scary Monsters...all which were genius.

Bowie has never put out a really bad album (even Never Let Me Down), but his discography is uneven. The amount of good music he has put out, though, far outweighs the bad...which is saying something. He also plays a mean guitar and keyboards...I love the early acoustic guitar stuff he did.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh man, that list of albums (all the Eno-collaborated ones, yay!) you just compared The Next Day to makes it sound AMAZING. Apparently it's no longer streaming, but it gonna be released tomorrow, so I'll check it out then. I agree about Tonight, which is why I put it slightly above the Flames of Hell. Really, it probably IS a better album than David Bowie, but I kinda prefer the "enthusiasm" of that first album.

Also agree about Aladdin Sane (I love Ziggy, too, but I think AS sorta manages to "out-Ziggy" Ziggy). IMO, Ziggy is a conceptual album about basically the combustion of a rock star; AS is the actual result of that same process, where he's able to look at the "shallow trappings of fame" and all that firsthand. Actually, I think AS "out-Young Americans" Young Americans, too, in that sense. ... and out-Pinu-- um, okay, enough of that. It just synthesizes and refines everything from that era, I think.

Gotta admit I have a weak spot for Diamond Dogs, even though it is in kind of that murky period. It... doesn't really work as a 1984 concept album, but does work in more of a post-apocalyptic sense... which is also how I justify the disjointedness of that album. He's definitely underrated as a musician. Some of the acoustic stuff he did on Space Oddity and The Man Who Sold The World is gorgeous.

Sorry to babble so much. Like Chopin12, though, Bowie was kind of a "refuge" for me in high school (particularly).

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Babble all you want. I adore the man. I think he's not only a genius, but a lovely person as well.

And I like the eccentricity of his music. Peter Gabriel, once when asked who he idolized, said "David Bowie." Apparently the entire time he's been singing, he's been trying to imitate Bowie.

The Next Day is also going to be released in a Deluxe Edition, with bonus tracks. I'm going to get that one from the iTunes Store. I already, umm, sort of have an illegal copy, but sue me...I'm going to buy the album!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i never heard Aladdin Sane. i feel so left out.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you liked Ziggy, you'll love Aladdin Sane.

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

!!!
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Listening to The Next Day now, for the second time. I really, really like it. It's probably a bit too early to be objective[-ish], but I think it's my favorite album he's done since Earthling. You're right, WintersTale -- there's a LOT of Berlin-era vibes here, which is excellent.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.