Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Certain foods give you anxiety??

Yesterday i was at dunkin donuts and i got a bagel with cream cheese and a hot chocolate. After the bagel and a third of the hot chocolate i felt anxiety coming on and feared a panic attack. Can high carb foods do this Or just that little amount of caffeine? what type of foods bring on this feeling?

I noticed salty foods sometimes help anxiety.

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've not heard of food causing anxiety other than coffee, but when you eat a lot of food in one sitting it's natural for heart rate to speed up due to the thermogenic effect (basically means, your metabolism speeds up after eating). I imagine the increased heart rate in people who are prone to anxiety may make them feel anxious, even though it's normal and most people get it. Also with the carb thing... it could be that your body got a sudden influx of glucose from the carbs - followed by insulin - followed by a crash in blood glucose levels, which in some people can cause anxiety.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    I've been advised to stay away from coffee, and I've heard about sugar causing anxiety sometimes. I've never really noticed that any kinds of food make my anxiety worse though. I'd medicated, though, so maybe that stops it a bit. I dunno...

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sugary foods cause me anxiety, too.
    OMG, I love AnxietySpace

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.