Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am 33. To be honest, I don't think my anxiety has improved any. Like I still feel as anxious, but I have learned to cope with it or perhaps it's just being used to it and comfortable with it. I was just formally diagnosed this past November with very severe social anxiety, so I haven't really had a long time to try things to improve it. Comparing myself with others who also have a more severe level, I think I have always been able to push through it better than a lot of people. I think I do feel the same level of anxiety, but my attitude is more 'I HAVE to push through' rather than 'I CAN'T push through'. I think the fact that I have never had to deal with subsequent disorders like depression or agoraphobia have helped me. I don't have like a 'defeated' attitude...just occasional bouts of loneliness, which doesn't really even last all that long either. I'm rambling, but to answer the question, the anxiety has not tapered off at all as I have gotten older but it has gotten easier to accept/deal with.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    StressedStressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Fizzy Doom View Post
    Over 25's

Have your anxieties/ agoraphobia improved over the last 10 years? Do you run at the same level of anxiety now that you did when you were late teens/early twenties? Has anything improved? Do you feel you blend in more easily? Does it get better?
    Compared to how it was in high school, I'd say it has improved significantly. Back then I'd never initiate conversations with people because it felt too awkward and I never knew what to say to them unless we had to work on something for school. I would just stick to people I know and not step outside of my comfort zone.

When I went to college, I picked a place I really liked and felt very comfortable with most people there. Everyone seemed very friendly and accepted people for who they were, which helped me be myself around everyone. It was expensive (I went to a private school), but definitely worth it.

Now I feel less stress and less anxiety talking to people I don't know if it's about something I have to do for work or school. When it comes to socializing, it's ok as long as we're in a social setting and everyone is in the mood to talk. I do feel like I can blend in more easily, but I always notice when other people seem to just sit there quietly and I'm the only one trying to be outgoing by talking to everyone. Sometimes I think of it as practice and I think I've been getting better.

Quote Fizzy Doom View Post
    What do you think helps you the most?
    Talking to people who are open to conversation and trying to help you definitely makes things easier. It's very difficult when I try to talk to someone who doesn't want to be there or would rather play games on a phone and ignore people.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I remember being paralyzed with fear in my 20's. Panic attacks were common.

I was still having a few up until a year ago.

I haven't had any this year.

So yes, I think it gets better. But I also think therapy has helped me control the anxiety.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I think it's often a matter of having the time to learn what works for you. I've gained a lot of perspective in the last ten years from experience, and should probably stop talking there. But I'll also say that with age you will likely gain patience that you didn't have when younger, and that may help you learn to accept yourself better.

Edit: I've also noticed that as I get older, less people stare at me. It's odd. I think that the people who were doing the staring were primarily younger, and once we appear as though we're not within their age group, they just stop caring about the way we walk or whatever they might otherwise pick out. Also, those without our age group will tend to have better manners.

At 30+ I'm allowed to be twitchy, because (for example) many guys I know have been in a war and have PTSD. Women get less critical of each others' bodies because so may have children. As we get older, the people around us stop asking questions because there are a zillion possible reasons why we could be a little weird.

shyVr6's Avatar Masking The Calm
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think some areas have gotten worse while others have gotten better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.