Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Please don't refer to the forum in question. It is looked down here. I try my best to avoid saying it here.

As far as the posts that I made on the other forum, I either was frustrated or misunderstood. I've made a March resolution to be kinder, more understanding, and more tolerant of others opinions. I know I'm one of the people that you're probably talking about, but I generally tried my best to stay out of the arguments...and created at least 2 threads, asking for gender wars to stop.

Anyway, I'm trying to become a better person. It's a shame that not everybody takes that road. I think there is a middle ground between the arguments, but of course neither side will see it.

And this place is a lot calmer than the other forum, because nobody is creating those threads here. If they ever did, I probably would leave.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've met a couple of wonderful people. I've only recently started getting into the whole forum thing, it really wasn't something I did at all until early last year. It helped initially with SA but then it became a distraction. This forum is less distracting. I guess it depends on how you use it and how many people are willing to offer you support.

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Sometimes yes sometimes no . Sometimes anxiety forums can be a savior where I get to talk to like minded people who share the same problems and can offer support. Other times i use it as a crutch and almost as a form of escapism to the point of unhealthiness where I completely ignore the "real world" =/

Hummingbird's Avatar The Invisible Woman
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In the "real world" I'm competely surrounded by extroverts. There literally isn't a single person like me. Anxiety forums are the only place I don't feel like a freakosaurus rex, with the exception of the therapist's office.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's helpful because I don't feel alone in knowing that other people are going through the same things. I don't really comment on forums but I find it helpful reading other people's responses.

pam's Avatar needs more cowbell
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Antidote View Post
    Just being in contact with other people with the same condition on forums like this has helped immensely and been much more valuable to me than therapy ever was. I used to feel like such a freak and now I've found people that I don't have to hide this condition from, or try to explain it, because they already get it.
    This is how it's been for me too--very helpful. I had no contact with anyone except my boyfriend before joining these sites! It's been good for me in exposing myself/speaking my mind/being myself and risking getting rejected. Plus I actually made a few friends a couple years ago who I talk to off of the forums. But they live 1000s of miles away so I'll never actually meet them unfortunately.

I am from SAS too. I never really had a problem with anyone there. Yes, I didn't like what some people said, but I would just ignore them. IDK, I was never attacked personally or anything that bad. I still spend time there. I actually had a lot of good experiences there in the first 2 yrs I was there. Recently there are a couple new people who I liked enough to friend. I like both sites!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not really only thing is they make you feel less alone ...

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't find them very helpful tbh. In fact I think they can have negative effects - like making you develop an us/them attitude towards people who don't suffer anxiety and then not being willing or able to post on non-anxiety forums.

I use these forums in the hope I'll make some good friends...I'm not that interested in the 'support' side, but so far I've not made that many friends despite using anxiety related forums for many years now...not as many as I would have liked to anyway.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have just come over from another Anxiety Forum and I must say the answer to the question is Big yes forums like this are a great help and resource..

I had been wondering around for so long trying to figure out what was happening to me and then to find a site that others who had the same things/feeling happening to them was a great feeling knowing that I was not the only person in the world suffering.

And foums like this help us all understand the impact that Anxiety/Stress/Mental Health Issues have upon us and often help us find our own peace.
    Also if I try to explain to people how I feel and they don't understand I point them to a forum like this so them thenselves can look at how I may feel inside.

And I thank people for setting them up (as we all do)

Sorry I went on a bit

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes...that is...as long as I don't talk about controversial issues. I like to talk about controversial issues, I like the intellectual stimulation, but I've just come to the conclusion a mental health website isn't the place for that.

My views are very, "unique." They tend to evoke an emotional response in some people. So I'm going to keep those views to myself on this site. On the other site, I was the target of several people who never said they had any kind of mental illness including SA, which leads me to believe they were never on that site for support.

I didn't mind if someone had a different opinion than my own. In fact, I welcomed other opinions. Usually my ideas were criticized, and I had no problems when that happened. However, I didn't really like being attacked personally when their personal attack did nothing to contribute to their argument. If their attack contributed to their argument that was another story. Often times I talked about science so people would criticize ideas they didn't even understand.

At first I liked the new moderators, but it soon became apparent there was a powerful double standard on that site. Which meant one group could say what they wanted to say but people who weren't part of that group couldn't respond with what they wanted to say. That was frustrating.

Ultimately, someone attacked my SA and attempted to discredit my argument by attacking my mental health on a mental health SA support site??? I asked this person if they had SA, since they never mentioned they had SA, and the person wouldn't admit they had SA on an SA site??? It seems many of the worst people on that site did not have SA, so often times that site doesn't have much to do with SA and it definitely does not have anything to do with support. On the other hand, it occupied my time for a couple years and it was intellectually stimulating, but those things weren't worth negotiating the double standard and attacks directed at my SA on an SA support site???

After a couple years on that site, and after being attacked for having SA, on an SA site, by someone who didn't have SA, I burned out and said some things I regret, but I'm glad to be done with that site. It did more harm to me than good.
    I don't get a signature.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Ventura View Post
    Don't worry. You don't have to explain why you use another support site. Use whatever you find helpful that might be more then one site.
    This is why I like this site so much, because the mods and admins say things like this and genuinly mean it.

Still surprises me how much the mods/admins on this site listen to what we have to say about this site, how frendly this are with everyone...it's a nice little community here.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I found this site after a kind of crazy experience which I'm not going to get into and I tried to find help on line. There was one of these weird quiz things in what protective behaviors do you or have you used to avoid social interaction. I ticked off most of the ones on the list and was able to list a few not listed and was actually happy to learn a few new things I hadn't thought of and realized that just maybe I was a little out of control and losing it.

Has it helped me being here and posting yes and no. First it and the other site made me so self conscious of all the ways my life is horrible because of SA. But I haven't always been this bad. My life isn't that bad and it's been nice to find people who have similar struggles. I really want to get back to being happier with myself and that just doesn't seem to be happening.
    Rambling on. It has been a positive experience for me here. Thanks

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Coffee View Post
    I've met a couple of wonderful people. I've only recently started getting into the whole forum thing, it really wasn't something I did at all until early last year. It helped initially with SA but then it became a distraction. This forum is less distracting. I guess it depends on how you use it and how many people are willing to offer you support.
    Yea I take this earlier reply back. If it weren't for anxiety space, i don't know how I would've gotten through my latest crazy anxiety-provoking situation. So yes this forum is very helpful to me and my progress and the amount of people that supported me was overwhelmingly amazing.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This site is the best!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think they are helpful to some degree.
    "You can never really know a person and if you think you can, you're living in a fucking dream world!" David Fisher, Six Feet Under

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.